Stafford Exhibition 2019

ELTEL

Good to see the forum back up.

Nice and dry at the showground this afternoon with no trace of snow. It was somewhat chilly though. 

My car earlier today, packed and raring to go.

IMG_20190201_101324-1824x1368.jpg.6fe2de0242b69c972d27170043fa5b3d.jpg

Edited by Chris M
Spelling correction
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

All going to plan with the Stafford Exhibition 

No issues to report

Portsea will not be attending due to personal reasons, but now booked to appear in 2020  as part of out themed 3mm layouts

No Snow or forecast of snow 

See you over the weekend.

Eltel 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The GCR Friends is set up at stand 72. Featuring our new, refurbished Z Scale model of the Bridge project to Unify the two sections of the GCR in Loughborough.

This model dates back to 1995 and has been refurbished to reflect the Bridge project as it is being built, is landscaped and detailed, and (on Saturday only) can even operate.  Call by and see us!

DSC05223.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As promised STAFFORD EXHIBITION UPDATE.

All layouts as per our exhibition guide with the exception of Portsea which has had to be withdrawn due to the owner unable to attend.

Full details of all Layouts, Traders and Demonstration on www.staffordrailwaycircle.org.ul/exhibition .

Extra Parking (Including Disabled Spaces) this year as the Antique Fair is a different weekend.

Parking Areas bone hard after all cold weather.

Eltel 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Did anyone else have a bad experience on the Bus shuttle to the station?

I unfortunately caught the Double decker coming back and it took the driver twenty minutes to exit the show ground and then it wasn't a pleasant journey back.

I'm all for using the vintage buses but one that doesn't have a working speedo and can't corner wasn't too pleasing for me and a few others on the one we were on.

Mark 

An enjoyable day out.   Massive queue about 10:15 dealt with quite quickly.   Seemed more space to move about than previous years.

Best bits:

Arun Quay, Woodhead, Burdale Colliery, Kyle of Lochalsh, Albion Estates, End of the Spur, Arcadia PA, Axmouth, Hartburn, Little Aller, Treskilling.

Many other enjoyable layouts.

Disappointments:

Deepcar, Netherwood Sidings.   Looking forward to seeing both of these.   Visited in the morning and just before I went home at 4pm and nothing moved either time.

The minute  print for the bus timetable on your website.   

More seating would always be welcome.

Edited by Cheshire001
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So many fine layouts and a well-organized show. Fine [cold] weather & no car parking problems. We had a lot of visitors to the GCR stand.

Dava 

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoyed the show. lots of fantastic layouts. Thanks to the organisers. Had a chat with Phil Parker in the cafe area over a sausage roll - if you are reading Phil it was "Tommy Walsh Yacht Varnish" from Poundland, does dry just takes a week or two! All in all a very good day out. I liked that there were plenty of D&E layouts and also the Isle of Wight layouts. 

I would agree about the bus to some degree, I missed the one stopping train an hour by 10 seconds due to a slow & unwieldy bus and a driver busy chatting so missed two green lights that would have got me on the train. But worse things happen at sea and I had a wander around Stafford town centre, somewhere I've not been before.

Just about to leave for the show. My daughter is coming with me, so, as usual, we will be doing our best to find layouts that have cats on them! I'm also coming with a loaded wallet, as I want to take the opportunity to pick up some essentials for my W&U project - I need some track, and some scenic materials. So it should be a good day, whatever the weather!

As always an excellent show. Really enjoyed talking to people on the MIOG display and it was great to hear peoples interest in the models we had and what we're trying to do.

Some really top not layouts, Durham Road being a highlight for me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another thumbs up from me.

I always enjoy Stafford and this year was no exception, as usual I also spent more than I intended which is also a reflection on the quality of the traders present.

Very disappointed with the lack of movement on so many layouts... One particular layout (I won't mention it's name) had five operators, all of whom were having lunch and chatting at the same time with absolutely nothing moving even though it was a roundy roundy. What made matters worse was that when they finally decided to run something the operator got distracted by someone asking him a question which entailed him getting a folder and starting to root through it and stop running. Come on, chaps, you are there to show the layout running, if there are that many of you then stagger your lunches and make sure that the operator is allowed to operate and you have someone else to field any questions. With five of you that shouldn't be difficult... If the cap fits then you know who you are, for anyone else have a think about how you "present" your layout to those of us who have paid a lot of money to come and see it, are you giving value for money, it isn't a night at the locl club or in your shed, it's a public display and deserves better.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I went on Saturday with a friend and my kids and really enjoyed it.  I hadn't planned on coming due to lack of babysitter but bumped into my friend the night before and said sod it, really glad I did.  Arun Quay was definitely the highlight along with the big SM32 layout I forget the name of (my friend has the programe).  Its a shame the site was down just beforehand as I couldn't see who would be there to say hello to.

I've been slacking off the modelling a bit lately so it was a good spur to get on with it.

Visited today and have to start by saying a huge congrats to the organisers. Once again Stafford provided a very enjoyable show with a good range of layouts and trade. There were many highlights for me, especially the Isle of Wight section, because I have an interest in the island railways. The two Freshwater layouts made for a nice comparison. 

I also enjoyed Arun Quay and Caradon Junction. I was impressed by the layout on the garden table and Kyle of Lochalsh which both offered something different in terms of size and how to fit a working layout into space starved homes.

The layout that succeeded in attracting me back on several occasions was Axmouth. A lovely Southern region model that always has something happening. It is a shame that some other layouts did not do the same. I know exactly which five operator layout is being referred to in a previous post and I had exactly the same experience. Such a disappointment. In fact I heard several comments from other visitors about this particular exhibit.

One other small gripe, and perhaps something for the organisers to consider for next year. I arrived before the 10am opening and waited patiently for the show to open. We were let though to buy tickets at 9.55 but the people on the next gate kept everyone waiting until 10.00 to proceed into the show. This created an uncomfortable crush around the pay desks whilst those who had paid were made to wait to proceed and others tried to get through to pay. Surely it would be better to open both sections at the same time?  As I said, this is a very small gripe and did not detract from an outstanding show. Congrats to the organisers. I am looking forward to 2020 already...and if you ever need another trade stand......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Deepcar unloaded and stacked in my garage by 8 o'clock. It's staying crated until it goes to Ruddington in June.

Despite some serious gremlins and continual track and wheel cleaning on Saturday it settled down.

Thanks to Colin and all the people at Stafford for an excellent weekend. 

I'm sure Graham with Netherwood sidings would echo the sentiment as we share an operating crew.

Only downside was the person who insisted on driving his van into the hall to load up despite trying to get down the wrong side to get to his stand then choking us with the fumes while he waited and manoeuvred!!:( 

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

just a quick thank you to Colin and his team for an enjoyable weekend. Myself, Mike and Rhys had a good time playing trains and I hope we didn’t disappoint and kept things moving and interesting. Layout was back home by 7.45 which wasn’t bad, but took an hour to get the car onto the drive to unload because of the need to clear snow and ice!