POLL: Which industrial steam 0-6-0 should be made in RTR? [Industrial Loco Poll #1]

Which industrial steam 0-6-0 do you want to be made in 00? [Industrial Loco Poll #1]  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Which 0-6-0 Industrial Steam Loco do you want to be made in 00 [Industrial Loco Poll #1]

• Manning Wardle L Class IC 0-6-0ST
    • RSH Class 56 ('Uglies) IC 0-6-0ST
    • Hudswell Clarke OC 0-6-0ST No.1885 of 1955
    • RSH Hams Hall OC 0-6-0T
    • Avonside B3 or B4 OC 0-6-0ST
    • Hunslet MSC 'Jazzer' IC 0-6-0T
    • Hunslet 15" & 16" IC 0-6-0ST
    • Peckett B2 OC 0-6-0ST
    • Peckett X IC 0-6-0ST
    • Andrew Barclay 14"+ 0-6-0ST or 0-6-0T
    • Hudswell Clarke OC 0-6-0T 1800 Class
    • Bagnall 'New Standard 18' 0-6-0ST
    • Fireless 0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

My own suggestion to add to your list would be an Andrew Barclay 0-6-0 side tank e.g.1338 from Polkemmet Colliery (presumably ruled out because of the High Level kit).

Hello Bruce, no I am not excluding any kits from the list. Does the 0-6-0T share the chassis of the 0-6-0ST (could it be made using the same chassis tooling?

• RMweb Gold

11 days into the poll now, 86 people have cast votes, there are 3 clear favourites so far.

-Manning Wardle L Class (17.86%)

-Avonside B3 and B4 (15.31%)

-Andrew Barclay 0-6-0ST and 0-6-0T (14.8%)

I suppose these are all quite versatile in that there are multiple possible models to make?

11 days into the poll now, 86 people have cast votes, there are 3 clear favourites so far.

-Manning Wardle L Class (17.86%)

-Avonside B3 and B4 (15.31%)

-Andrew Barclay 0-6-0ST and 0-6-0T (14.8%)

I suppose these are all quite versatile in that there are multiple possible models to make?

For me the clear winner is the MW L class.

The B3 and B4 class Avonside have very little in common between the classes, similarly the AB saddle tank and side tank variants are vastly different beasts. In essence there is no firm "choice" in these options, it is difficult to know exactly what members voted for. 

Paul A. 

• RMweb Gold

For me the clear winner is the MW L class.

The B3 and B4 class Avonside have very little in common between the classes, similarly the AB saddle tank and side tank variants are vastly different beasts. In essence there is no firm "choice" in these options, it is difficult to know exactly what members voted for. 

Paul A. 

Really? I thought they shared chassis dimensions and various mouldings, details etc. But yes the L Class is a more defined single example.

Really? I thought they shared chassis dimensions and various mouldings, details etc. But yes the L Class is a more defined single example.

I'm afraid not - different chassis dimensions between the Avonside locos - in fact I don't think anything is shared, perhaps sandboxes, crossheads etc. The wheels are even different patterns. 

The Barclays obviously bare little resemblance above the footplate, but the saddle tank locos also have an un-equally divided wheelbase and again different pattern wheels to the larger 18'' side tanks proposed. The 18'' side tank also feature partially flat-sided cylinder casings and have a substantially longer length in general. 

Paul A. 

Not quite! The wheelbase is common (4' 101/4" + 4' 101/4") and so is the wheel diameter (3' 3"). Also, in the picture in post #1, B3 Woolmar appears to be sporting B4 style wheels. Did other B3s have these wheels?

If the chassis of a model did not cover the full length of the loco, the centre section could be common, but the B4 has longer overhangs, and the cylinders are further forward, also necessitating longer connecting rods. It would be a case of either a complex "mix and match" of a chassis and different bits added to it to make the chosen model, or two completely separate sets of tooling. For a high quality model, the latter would probably be simpler. For a less-detailed less accurate "Railroad" model, the mix and match could work better.

Not quite! The wheelbase is common (4' 101/4" + 4' 101/4") and so is the wheel diameter (3' 3"). 

The B4 class members with which I am familiar with have 3' wheels

I have personally measured those on AE1972 and AE1764 and the measurements on some sites listed online for these are wrong (allegedly 3' 2'' and a massive 4' 1/2'' respectively!).

Paul A. 

I cast my three votes but before reading the full thread, so no influence through the arguments or reasoning of others!

I picked the Manning Wardle L class (with cab) because I like the O gauge versions I've seen, and likewise the Hunslet 15"/16" IC so I might have a version of my father's O gauge loco in "my" scale, so two choices made with purely selfish/aesthetic reasons. My other choice (actually my first) is the MSC "jazzer" because it is a side tank and a bit more industrial looking than a Terrier (Hornby/Dapol) or P class (Hattons) loco, lovely though both those locos are!

Interesting results.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Interesting looking back at this and subsequent RTR and 3D printed kit releases/announcements.

Manning Wardle L Class IC 0-6-0ST

RSH Class 56 ('Uglies) IC 0-6-0ST - Hardys Hobbies kit

Hudswell Clarke OC 0-6-0ST No.1885 of 1955

RSH Hams Hall OC 0-6-0T

Avonside B3 or B4 OC 0-6-0ST - (B4) Railway Mania kit

Hunslet MSC 'Jazzer' IC 0-6-0T

Hunslet 15" & 16" IC 0-6-0ST - 16" Rapido RTR

Peckett B2 OC 0-6-0ST - Hornby RTR

Peckett X IC 0-6-0ST

Andrew Barclay 14"+ 0-6-0ST or 0-6-0T

Hudswell Clarke OC 0-6-0T 1800 Class - Hardys Hobbies kit

Bagnall 'New Standard 18"' 0-6-0ST