Cavalex Models All new RTR BBA wagon in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

7 hours ago, 66738 said:

What a cracking job you have done with this wagon. I am blown away by it. I can’t wait for packs A and B from Rails to arrive. 
For quite some time I have wondered if Bachmann's BAA’s were not quite the correct shade of red. I am now convinced it needs to be more slightly orange. So much so, I’ve had a go at respraying a BAA. Looks better for it! 
Thanks again for these wonderful gems. 

19219C7F-3F11-4AD1-88C8-0597EBEB08F3.jpeg

4F291FC1-69CB-4C5C-B564-0CFFB387B9E1.jpeg

Glad that you are happy with the wagons. Yes we matched our paint to the exact codes used for the real wagon.

Don't worry Branchie, never say never on the N gauge versions of our stock. The long term plans still include the desire to do all of our 4mm stock in N gauge.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ColinK said:

Looks great, wished I had ordered one.

There are still some retailers with a small stock of BBAs.

I believe John Dutfield and Trains 4U may have some left.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RBE said:

Glad that you are happy with the wagons. Yes we matched our paint to the exact codes used for the real wagon.

Don't worry Branchie, never say never on the N gauge versions of our stock. The long term plans still include the desire to do all of our 4mm stock in N gauge.

O gauge versions would be fantastic as well :) 

Edited by Courtybella
  • Agree 1

My trio of Railfreight ones arrived on Thursday, which took me by surprise! Was expecting them to arrive next week, so a big thumbs up for a quick dispatch. :good:

Think I spent about 10 minutes gawping at the first one I got out the box, the detail is excellent and that deck is a work of art. Considering what the bigger manufacturers charge for a bogie wagon these days, these seem like a bargain in comparison!

On 27/08/2020 at 15:18, GordonC said:

One wheelset was a bit stiff in turning where it looked like the brake caliper moulding was fouling the wheel slightly. Nothing a small dab of glue or slight tweaking cant fix when I come to have a working layout.

I did have the above problem on one wagon. Looked like the brake calipers were fouling the wheel faces, but it turned out to be the holes for the axle ends on the bogie side frames being virtually flush, which meant the axle is a tight fit and doesn't rotate when it runs. A small drill bit will sort that out. A bogie on another wagon did have very loose wheel sets on one bogie, which turned out to be one of the side frames coming partially adrift in transit. Again, nothing a dab of glue and pushing back home didn't sort out.

Definitely looking forward to the Warflats arriving, and seeing how the TEA's progress. Fancy a weathered pack, but will wait to see what the decoration is like before putting the money down. Here's hoping there's some more wagons up their sleeves as well!

Andy.

• Thanks 1

Hi Andy, glad that you are pleased with your wagons.

Regarding any tight wheelsets, the way to deal with them in the first instance is to grip axleboxes of the offending bogie between finger on thumb and apply a little pressure to squeeze the bogieframe onto the pinpoint axle, then with your other hand pop your finger on the tread of the wheelset and rotate it back and forth several times. What that does is cut the pinpoint in the bogie a little deeper using the end of the axle which has the effect of giving the wheel a tad more tolerance.

If that doesn't work then more extreme measures can be taken.

Due to the nature of the bogie being a model of the real thing it has had to have been assembled from several parts, this does introduce a tolerance factor to a small degree.

I personally feel that its worth it for the detail level that can be achieved.

As for other wagons we have also recently finished the CAD work on the Bardon aggregate hopper which we will be giving an update on soon.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Another contender for Bogies of the Year to go up against IRM's A Class?

6.jpg

These are exceptionally good models; well done on the design work Cav!

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

Received my 4 BBAs today. Many thanks. Delighted with them. Above and beyond any of my other wagons in level of detail and weight. The bogies and the mesh deck are stunning. Looking forward to another 2 batches from retailers including 6 Railfreight black and red ones.

John

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, citadel12003 said:

Sadly seem to have missed out on these BBA's this time around.  Will you be doing a re-run at some time as I'm sure that they will be so popular, now that they have arrived to such acclaim?

Cheers,

Tom

You might want to check some retailers.  There could be a few left. That is the problem with the crowd sourced projects. There are generally very few extra to go around as by definition that are made to order. Obviously the plus side is that those that ordered get the wagons at a reduced price. That said I am sure there will be a further run. Luckily I got mine and they are excellent.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, citadel12003 said:

Sadly seem to have missed out on these BBA's this time around.  Will you be doing a re-run at some time as I'm sure that they will be so popular, now that they have arrived to such acclaim?

Cheers,

Tom

C&M Models still had some today I think but running out fast.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to a tip off on here, I managed to obtain one railfreight and one brown BBA.  Excellent service by John Dutfield and C&M Models.  The wagon is superb, fine detail yet robust. Has to be in the running for wagon of the year.

Would be really helpful if someone did an article on weathering them. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

After all the stories of sold out stock I thought I might have missed out here having taken my eye off the ball with these arriving. A quick search on Thursday night found that KMSRailtech still had approx 18 in stock so promptly ordered 2 which arrived today.

All I can say having looked back through the thread is that none of the photos posted do these justice, the deck/mesh is simply stunning and the uprights are fine but feel very robust. These are very impressive indeed.

Now i just need to get the layout back together and pluck up the courage to weather them.

Well done to Cavalx.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1