Cavalex Models All new RTR BBA wagon in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

The BBA's are absolutely superb.

Just for clarification, Rails have actually received the BBA versions which were sold out on pre-order. The BLA's have not arrived yet but are expected shortly (info as of yesterday). The website is showing them as in stock.

• Thanks 1

First class chaps. I am seriously impressed. At Duha no longer make steel bloom loads I am going into production. We will see how they come out but if any good I'll ping up on here what was sued and colours etc etc. The screw links are really lovely but as we run screw/3 link on the layouts we will need to go Smiths way for reliability. They are too fine/stiff for any reverse

curves. That said I have plenty for locos now and wondered if you were thinking of doing a 'Sutton' and offering the screw links and air brake pipes as spares? Also has anyone removed the outer stanchions (the ones fitted to wagon yet? If so, how? and how easy is it??

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gridwatcher said:

First class chaps. I am seriously impressed. At Duha no longer make steel bloom loads I am going into production. We will see how they come out but if any good I'll ping up on here what was sued and colours etc etc. The screw links are really lovely but as we run screw/3 link on the layouts we will need to go Smiths way for reliability. They are too fine/stiff for any reverse

curves. That said I have plenty for locos now and wondered if you were thinking of doing a 'Sutton' and offering the screw links and air brake pipes as spares? Also has anyone removed the outer stanchions (the ones fitted to wagon yet? If so, how? and how easy is it??

There is a lack in decent wagon loads and variants for steel wagons 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

We had approached Goodwood Scenics to provide loads for these wagons under our branding but the price quoted proved prohibitive for us to pursue as a Cavalex commissioned product. However I cannot fault their quality and they do provide a variety of loads if you are in the market for something high end to pop on the back of our wagons.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, RBE said:

We had approached Goodwood Scenics to provide loads for these wagons under our branding but the price quoted proved prohibitive for us to pursue as a Cavalex commissioned product. However I cannot fault their quality and they do provide a variety of loads if you are in the market for something high end to pop on the back of our wagons.

I have some of there plastic sheeted covered steel coils... look the part but have aluminium in and having a train of 10 wagons make a heavy train 

5 hours ago, RBE said:

They don't make 'Blooms' (don't search their website as there are plenty of flowers there to be found under blooms!!)  As coils and blooms are what we need I'll look into the bloom (Large slab loads) and report back when built painted and costed! They do some lovely stuff. Shame Duha have dropped their's as they used to do blooms.  This (not my image) is what I am looking at.

Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 20.38.00.png

I tend to make my own loads , slab is made from 4mm  PVC board as used in advertising signs  , sprayed various shades of grey  , 4mm gives you a slab depth of 1ft so prob just about right thickness , cut to various lengths as some slab can be very long ! , coils can be made from card cut into strips of various widths and wrapped around a tube or shaft @ 10mm , stick the card with pritstick paper glue as you roll them up , painted with either grey or polished steel paint , strapping made from thin sticky labels cut into 0.5 mm strips and stuck on , a dab of red paint for the banding clip , use a white pen to add some markings .

Bloom can be made with Plastruct square rod prob 4mm again gives a 1 ft square bar or off cuts of PVC window sill of the right thickness can be cut into strips again painted as above

Ingots made of DAS clay shaped to the approx shape , left to dry then can be sanded to final shape , paint as above .

I must confess of all the model coils available be it 3d printed , cast metal , resin , plastic kit in two halves  , in my mind the only way to a realistic coil is to make them as described , bear in mind pic shown coil made about 25 years ago

IMG_20160111_194918~2.jpg

Edited by bazjones1711
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

4 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

Think I may have ordered coils which are slightly out of gauge!  What do people think (they will be sat on cradles which haven’t arrived yet)? Think I should have gone for the next size down.

3BE13DF5-25E5-423C-B491-4E2F304FD651.jpeg

8C0F00D3-D6DE-41F9-90C1-ED6A0628E6C7.jpeg

are they still a bit high if you loaded them eye-to-the-sky instead?

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Looking at the size of those coils, I'd say you shouldn't have more than two, or most three, on a wagon. They look to be at least 25t each.

Indeed, went very heavy coils normally loaded one at each end over the bogie, with the running along the wagon, not across?

Roy

• RMweb Gold
Just now, aureol40012 said:

Cheers chaps, so using the spacing you suggest you think that it would look prototypical?  I’ve looked at photos on the usual site but to my eyes they seem just a tad too large, but willing to be corrected by those who know better.

I don't think they would look too bad. the cradles didn't lift them far of the deck as that just raises the centre of gravity. Maybe a tad too big, but I would live with it.

Roy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tractor_37260 said:

Hi Alex

The BBA's look just brilliant, but it's transfers I'm looking for atm.

Any update on transfer production being re-started after the virus lockdown issues ?

Regards 

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your kind comments.

I have sent you a pm regarding transfers.

Best Regards

Alex

My full rake of BBAs received now. Loving them. Now looking to making up suitable loads. I have Cambrian BBAs with steel blooms made of plastic and painted / weathered so might do the same with these, or possibly steel coils laid eye to sky...

I always knew that if I built enough Cambrian BBAs, a RTR one would appear.

John

• Like 1