Jump to content

Cavalex Models All new RTR BBA wagon in 4mm scale


Grimleygrid
 Share

Recommended Posts

My Rails triple pack arrived this morning and last night I managed to grab a couple more from Trains4U so I’m extremely happy now. I’ll wait till the final two are here before weathering them (and the 6 BAAs) Attached pic of the current rake- need to sound fit that pair of 20s now! 

40E18B07-A1AE-4BA4-92CC-E85BA95BFE98.jpeg

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great looking wagon very impressed with attention to detail. Removed the stanchions very carefully and have given them a coat of rust. Used some 4x4mm steel box section cut into 12cm lengths to try and create slab loads, there a fair weight as are the wagons themselves.

cheers Jez

IMG_2703.JPG

IMG_2705.JPG

IMG_2701.JPG

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all , i have set up a Facebook group dedicated to the modelling of the metals  era from the late 1980's onwards , topics will be wagon types , traffic of all types of metals , locos , modelling loads , layout ideas based on actual locations , we have 100 plus members so far , if you have an interest hopefully the following link will work for you to join

Regards Baz

https://www.facebook.com/groups/950962518665076/?__cft__[0]=AZXABj--SPQYN5MFZLPpycjtch6EIcApKz7_kwUlDDZ0Mw4AWkxUoBG4hWYVSYUOF_xCuiauiPtp1vdQLVCKcoqing7gMSKy2jjOWzwuWXScsENPP8TdYODSE-zhqtmDIISpwblECIXiBuO_8cjzRChBTsiol5kw06T4_VsLPhMzH-64IMZc3lJFCce3Zto0ChR4U6ccVs6icB8-M_qrBoJd&__tn__=-UK-R

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

 

Those buffers don't look great either.


Roy

 

I had noticed on most of my BLA's the buffers have a slight upturn as if they haven't been fitted properly or with the greatest of care or attention but didn't think anything of it at the time of receiving them as it is very slight but the photo above of that buffer fitment doesn't look good, they're now back in the boxes but will take another look and maybe takes some photos.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, classy52 said:

 

I had noticed on most of my BLA's the buffers have a slight upturn as if they haven't been fitted properly or with the greatest of care or attention but didn't think anything of it at the time of receiving them as it is very slight but the photo above of that buffer fitment doesn't look good, they're now back in the boxes but will take another look and maybe takes some photos.


Didn't notice anything overly wrong with mine - I just wondered if that one had been dropped at some point and the coupling put back on upside down.

 

Roy

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:


Didn't notice anything overly wrong with mine - I just wondered if that one had been dropped at some point and the coupling put back on upside down.

 

Roy

 

7 minutes ago, owentherail said:

Yes a few were wonky and a couple of bogey sides loose which made wheels fall out, but they clipped back in fine. This was only on the BLAs tho 

 

2 minutes ago, bazjones1711 said:

My BLA  wagons have the same problem with the buffers , some pointing upwards others seem to have no glue and are nearly falling out , not a great problem as I can stick them back in , I don't know if it's just me but the couplings on one end only droop down ? 

 

Have 6 BLA's with 1 more pack to come (see from my posts in 

thread which details some issues I've experienced and the running numbers changing) and the ones received had no issues as all the wagons were intact but like I said noticed the upturn in the buffers but will take another look to gauge how serious it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, the issues quoted have been very rare, and either addressed by the customer with little trouble or through replacements from ourselves, however if anyone has a problem that they deem to be serious please get in touch with us via email and we can review on an individual basis.

 

I will say though that if any of the buffers are not quite straight (we are dealing with manufacturing processes where thousands of models are being assembled and invariably some issues may slip through) they are easy to straighten up by gently moving them into position and applying a small dab of superglue where it joins to the backing plate.

 

As for the 'drooping coupling' I cannot see how this can be the case as the NEM box is an integral part of the bogie frame and not a separate sprung item that can droop due to poor tolerance. If you have a case of this then we would love to hear from you with photos of the issue so that we can assess what the problem is that could cause that. It's the first time that we have heard this from anyone, about any of our models as we have have set out from day one to design our NEM boxes to ensure that we have no drooping couplers.

 

Best Regards

Cav

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, RBE said:

Hi all, the issues quoted have been very rare, and either addressed by the customer with little trouble or through replacements from ourselves, however if anyone has a problem that they deem to be serious please get in touch with us via email and we can review on an individual basis.

 

I will say though that if any of the buffers are not quite straight (we are dealing with manufacturing processes where thousands of models are being assembled and invariably some issues may slip through) they are easy to straighten up by gently moving them into position and applying a small dab of superglue where it joins to the backing plate.

 

As for the 'drooping coupling' I cannot see how this can be the case as the NEM box is an integral part of the bogie frame and not a separate sprung item that can droop due to poor tolerance. If you have a case of this then we would love to hear from you with photos of the issue so that we can assess what the problem is that could cause that. It's the first time that we have heard this from anyone, about any of our models as we have have set out from day one to design our NEM boxes to ensure that we have no drooping couplers.

 

Best Regards

Cav

 

Ok checked all my wagons and on some, not all, there is a slight upturn which too be honest is hardly noticeable unless looked at up close thus no worries for me and will take on-board your advice on correcting them if I choose to do so.

Edited by classy52
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had a look at the couplings , it is on one end of a wagon only , there is / was a slight downward drop , I have checked the others when coupled up they are fine , taken the NEM  out and give it a slight bend upwards , that  has solved the problem ! A great addition to our steel wagon fleet , will run these with some BZA  and JSA  opens so well done for making these wagons , the BBA has quite a few variations that could be made .... Just need someone to make the BVA coil / slab wagon now 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just popped in to Tony’s Trains in Rugby as I was passing and he had 3 second hand Railfreight livery BBAs in priced at £30 each.  Needless to say he now has 2 less but there is still a third one available.  They do mail order I believe.

 

If you buy it please post on here that it’s gone so that the shop doesn’t get inundated!

 

Be quick!

60482280-0C42-46F8-A67D-7010AD7D05CB.jpeg

Edited by aureol40012
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just reading ‘The Railways and Britain’s Nuclear Industry’ and on page 17 there is a photo of a BAA (yes I know its not a BBA)  and the caption says it is carrying a flask of fuel assemblies from the Steam Generating Heavy Water Reactor. Another potential load?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ColinK said:

Just reading ‘The Railways and Britain’s Nuclear Industry’ and on page 17 there is a photo of a BAA (yes I know its not a BBA)  and the caption says it is carrying a flask of fuel assemblies from the Steam Generating Heavy Water Reactor. Another potential load?

Hi Colin, not for the BBA. There were two former BAA wagons used for the Winfrith workings becoming FOA on tops. I’m part way through building one of them. The other had experimental bogies and ends removed.

 

hope that helps

Mark

Edited by MRDBLUE17
Correcting tops code
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ColinK said:

Just reading ‘The Railways and Britain’s Nuclear Industry’ and on page 17 there is a photo of a BAA (yes I know its not a BBA)  and the caption says it is carrying a flask of fuel assemblies from the Steam Generating Heavy Water Reactor. Another potential load?

 

11 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi Colin, not for the BBA. There were two former BAA wagons used for the Winfrith workings becoming FDA on tops. I’m part way through building one of them. The other had experimental bogies and ends removed.

 

hope that helps

Mark

 

BAA 900115 and 900230 were used for loads to/from Winfrith. 900230 had the experimental bogies

They were coded as FOA

 

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...