Best show to obtain detailing parts for modelling projects

Many years ago the average model railway show used to have a trader or two who would be selling all those useful bits you want for a loco or carriage conversion and you could also look at the range and compare them with photos or drawing there at the show to make sure you got the right item.

I am not sure if it just me, but this is something which is fast or has disappeared from the average show being replace with stack em high and sell them cheap model railway sets trade stand or the other end its the so called Club members second hand stock.

I know you can contact the trade via the web etc but sometimes its just great to chat to these guys and find out what is going on,

So the question is this, which general show is the best one that has more model traders at than the types i have said above? I am looking for the guys who have white metal castings and locomotive fittings and all the small stuff which you think ah that may become handy in a few years time.

Regards

Colin   

• RMweb Gold

Not just you, Colin; i've noticed this lack of bits and pieces stalls as well, though there are usually one or two at the very big shows.  It's the digital age, mate, you've got to order online, but I miss the chatting and poring over displays of packets on hooks to find the right thing, during which I usually came across several other things that I hadn't realised I needed as well (oo, an etched brass open sliding roof vent for an 8750; I'll 'ave one of those as well).  Ordering online is not the same as seeing the item in front of you and envisioning it on the model; not all progress is an improvement!

I suggest you go on line, and find out who might supply what you want, and then look up where they are showing.  Without knowing where your interests lie, I would suggest Wizard is a good prospect, with a vast range including Comet and Mainly Trains items added to his own products. Unfortunately for you, he doesn't appear to be at any exhibitions in the south east until ExpoEM, at Bracknell in May next year. There are other people around, such as Dart Castings who have the MJT range, and they are at Erith next January, Roxey Mouldings have some useful bits and pieces, and they regularly appear in the south east, although their exhibition diary is, sadly, not up to date, as is 247 Developments listing, but they do a number of loco parts, as well as coach bogies and otehr fittings. In all cases, I might suggest contacting the proprietor in advance to let them know of your interests, as many of them carry a huge range, and can't always bring everything to every exhibition, and this might avoid disappointment.

For non-specific bits and pieces, Eileen's Emporium is one to look out for, but there are others.