New editor for REX Modeller

tractor_37260

Disappointed to hear that Si Bendall is to be replaced as editor of REX Modeller.   One of the main reasons I have retained my sub for all these years was the honest and accurate "tell it as it is" reviews that featured in REX along with some very interesting and knowledgeable modelling articles.  Occasionally reviews in other magazines of the same product tended to be rather biased , almost as if it was a different model that was being reviewed, as an example, some of the early produced Bachmann 37's come to mind..............

It remains to be seen what the future now holds for REX Modeller, but IF it radically changes, I for one will be cancelling my sub. 

I'd like to wish Si well in finding a replacement position, surely some other publication will snap him up ! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Nigel Birkin is taking over so I’m sure the quality will remain.

I wish Simon well and hope he gets a new position soon. Until then his insight and balance will be missed.

Griff

hi would be nice if we got the odd layout feature  can't remember when the last one was perhaps feature one of Nigels layouts

Dave

• 3 months later...

......As long as it don't turn into Kadees Monthly, like MRM did!

Hopefully balance may be restored with the odd layout article etc.  Not "Your 24 pages of modelling start here (50% + advertss, and 4+ of photos of real life topics (which could go into topics in the main mag etc). 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wont be buying it anymore, just not as good as his predecessor. The 56 article in the current issue sealed it for me. A 2 part article(!!) to undertake a very simple project (upgrade/repaint of a Hornby 56) and he has not made or installed the covering plates for the lifting points, probably the simplest upgrade you can do to the Hornby 56. Odd given he installed the Shawplan/Extreme Etches fangrilles which is another easy and effective upgrade

I knew once I saw him listed as the new editor it was going to become 'Kadees/Ballast Wagons/3rd rail slamdoor EMU's' monthly and sadly its already happened not even 6 months into his tenure. And Ill say nothing about his reviews either

In a strange co-incidence BRM has suddenly got better. Wonder why :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope it works out for nigel. British steel and all that.. Ive been a fan of his and Rail express for a few years. I note the first few articles have seen some re hashes of familiar principles and projects. Its hard to get the balance right I'm sure between what we want, what we need and new stuff. Lets see how it goes... 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Me personally I prefer Nigel Burkin's style and articles to his predecessor who I found to be a bit over bearing, particularly his product reviews where some of his criticisms were overly harsh although is prototype knowledge was excellent.

At least we have moved on from the monthly Mostyn issues where it seemed to be more about the curry and beer consumed than the modelling done!!

Edited by John M Upton
  • Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have to say that I'm also considering cancelling my subscription. Since Nigel took over it seems to have reverted to topics that have been covered many times before in the other mags. As someone else said the recent class 56 project did not need to be spread over two issues! I've been reading Rail Express ever since the first issue which I still have, and I have to say the magazine is not what it once was and it's not just Rail Express either!

Cheers,

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Agree 3

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Marcoblanco said:

Anybody tried the class 37 sprung suspension kit yet..? Quite an undertaking and beyond my skills, time and.. Er well interest.. Oo gauge is a safe place lol!! 

I know a few people who have either completed or are working on them. They are a piece of work but apparently very necessary because Bachmann did not make their bogies flat. Consequently they fall off finescale track.

It’s certainly not a mainstream article and I believe it is the mainstream that RExM are aiming at?

Griff

23 hours ago, Marcoblanco said:

Anybody tried the class 37 sprung suspension kit yet..? Quite an undertaking and beyond my skills, time and.. Er well interest.. Oo gauge is a safe place lol!! 

Article in MRJ 235.

https://www.modelrailwayjournal.com/issue.php?s=253

Re: Bachmann class 37's falling off finescale trackwork; I've found the earlier 4 wheel drive bogie with floating axle to be fine on with ultrascale, Gibson & Blackbeetle wheelsets. I have one rigid six wheel drive 37 with P4 ultrascale wheels and it runs fine through very complex pointwork on a mates layout but it has to be said, he builds excellent trackwork.

The Penbits bogie just adds an extra dimension to a 37's running qualities by seeming to give the model more of an impression of mass.

• Agree 1

Although I don't model in FS - I had problems with a number of Bachy 37/47's derailing on code 75.  After experimenting, I found on all the ones with problems, all had the center drive axle lower than the outer two, causing the bogie to rock back an fore, pivoting on the lower center axle, this also causes growling noises.  By removing the centre axles on both bogies and then trial runnning on 4 axles - no more noise or derailing. Most can be cured by using a round file to slightly lower the center plastic brass bearing housing - a little at a time from the bottom edge only,  there's normally enough play in the mesh of the gears to allow for this.

First check is to use a metal ruler hard against the flanges, or a piece of plate glass, on problem locos it will be quite obvious that the center axle is lower than the outer pair, sometimes one side is OK and the other out on the same bogie.

HTH

• Informative/Useful 1

On 07/07/2019 at 10:34, Marcoblanco said:

I've built the 37 kit, one for a 24 and I'm currently in the middle of a 45.  Before I'd did the 24, I'd not even soldered two bits of brass together but the kits are superbly engineered and come with excellent instructions.

John

• Agree 1

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 23:27, Wayne 37901 said:

I have to say that I'm also considering cancelling my subscription. Since Nigel took over it seems to have reverted to topics that have been covered many times before in the other mags. As someone else said the recent class 56 project did not need to be spread over two issues! I've been reading Rail Express ever since the first issue which I still have, and I have to say the magazine is not what it once was and it's not just Rail Express either!

Cheers,

Hi all I have just renewed my subscription for 6 months again but if things don't improve then I will cancel the next one in Jan 2020

Will take DEMU membership instead 

Dave