Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Flickr has announced important changes

mdvle

Announced today that Free Accounts will be restricted to only 1,000 photos.

To get unlimited photos you will now need to pay for their Pro service.

This is the part of the statement that covers how those accounts with more than 1,000 free photos will be dealt with:

Free members with more than 1,000 photos and/or videos uploaded to Flickr have until Tuesday, January 8, 2019, to upgrade to Pro or download content over that limit. After January 8, 2019, members over the limit will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr. After February 5, 2019, Free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos and/or videos will have content actively deleted—starting from oldest to newest date uploaded—to meet the new limit.

This was the restriction placed on free users yonks back...IIRC it was 1000 photos limited, limited display size.

Flickr has slowly been going down the swanny for some time and since the recent proliferation of p0r* based spam I’ve pretty much given It a wide berth.

It's being shown to users as they log in, but this link should get you there: https://www.flickr.com/lookingahead/ .

Can't say this is going to affect me too much unless the photographers I follow choose to leave, as I tend to look at the most current photographs.

However, spam on the site has been getting worse and there's no guarantee that the current raft of changes will be the last for a while.

Edit: just to add, I feel for people who have spent a lot of time entering photographs and captions into Flickr, to the benefit of others, only to have their work undone in a few months.

Edited by jamesg

• RMweb Gold

I can understand you don't get things for free but ...

I hate anything which auto-renews - email me to remind me, even do it several times, but don't just take my money. On principle I stick clear of any such company, to me it's a scam where they hope you forget to cancel and simply allow it to auto-renew. The option to do this should be off by default, not on.

I'd prefer a cheaper option, maybe unlimited (or a large limit - for example 10,000)  photos but with adverts for say £1 per month ?  The annual renewal costs have a habit of rapidly going up in price.

I think I will stick to the 1000 photos and allow my older uploads to drop of the end - I never use any on-line presence for backups or only copies so it's only my fan base (both of them) who will lose out.

Please read this

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/7/18071532/flickr-creative-commons-licensed-photos-limiting-free-storage-2019

It set a 1,000-picture limit for free accounts, replacing the previously offered 1TB of storage. Any accounts that are still over that limit on February 5th, 2019, will have their content deleted until they’re back below that number. This led to a looming question: what happens to Flickr’s huge library of Creative Commons photos that are used by countless individuals and organizations around the world? In a blog post today, Flickr has clarified that those freely licensed photos will be safe, even under the new limits. Accounts with more than 1,000 photos or videos that are licensed with Creative Commons won’t have that content deleted. That said, Flickr will be blocking future uploads to those accounts on January 8th — just like it will to other accounts that are over the 1,000-picture limit — unless you pay for a Pro account.

This rule only applies to photos that were uploaded with a Creative Commons license before the deadline. Users hoping to skirt the upcoming 1,000-photo limit / purge of content coming in February by moving all of their content to an open Creative Commons license is out of luck.

It seems Flickr posters with over 1000 photos with creative commons will not be deleted down to 1000 (nor can they upload more).

Question. How do I / you know whether my / your uploaded photos are created commons or not ?

A bit of a muddle - I have 1674 photos (all backed up twice). I don't intend to add more but I won't delete any if Flickr leaves them on (if they are creative commons).

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

Who would ever look past the first couple of pages as a visitor? I have no more than 2 pages on at a time and rotate round most images to keep it fresh and interesting to any one interested in looking. My images are stored on an external hard drive, not on flickr.

Question. How do I / you know whether my / your uploaded photos are created commons or not ?

They are Creative Commons if you (presuming you hold the copyright to them) license them as such. Flickr has instructions on how to change the license of an image. The license that an image is under is prominently displayed on its page underneath its date.

Edited by eldomtom2

I would say, no such thing as a 'Free Lunch'.

Windows 10 seems to me to be heading in a similar direction - we haven't paid a cent for years yet we still expect it to be updated.

Ray

Of what Ive heard on the internet, No, people are most certainly not expecting W10 to update constantly, and very often would prefer it not to at all.  

isn't that more or less how Flickr was before they just gave everyone a TB for free?

Its less how they used to be vs how they will be and more the fact they gave a TB free to ALL members, convinced everyone to upload to Flickr, gained massive amounts of photos, and are now dangling permanent deletion of files over peoples heads.  

Though I will parrot some peoples complaints on the Flickr forums that the 1000 photo limit is arbitrarily chosen.  1000 photos could take more or less server space depending on quality.  Surely their "justification" for these changes is server space per userbase, so therefore the limit for free accounts should be based on storage size, not an arbitrary number. 

I have just over 9000 pictures on Flickr, and they use around 2Gb of space (just over 2% of my 1TB allowance). Can't believe that they are that hard up that they can't afford the disk space.

On the basis of 4000 pictures per GB, as an example, 1TB would be enough for over 4 million pictures. Wonder how many, if any, accounts have that sort of number uploaded.