Dapol Booth Rodley Crane

Southwell

Hi all, 

For my next project, I've decided to have a crack at the Dapol Crane kit.

I've done some research, particularly on some of the threads on here, as well as looking at Paul Bartlett's photos:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbooth0-8-0

And watching this superb video from David Hyde, which is along the lines of what I'm planning (I even have the same GWR bogie bolster for the runner!):

So, off the bat, I know the bogies on the crane have to go. Initially my plan was to use an A3/4 chassis but I'm now thinking it might be easier to do what David did in his video and make a new chassis from plasticard instead. 

One thing I'm still not sure on is whether these cranes were self propelled or if they were shunted around by locos. If they were able to move on their own then part of me likes the idea of trying to get it motorised somehow, though that'll make it a bigger job (as well as more expensive than the cheap project I'd originally had in mind). 

I'm aiming for early 60s which I think will be the light greyish colour on Paul's photos (though any guidance on that too would be appreciated). 

• Like 2

Hmmmm, it's more likely to be part of a longer train on my layout I guess rather than moving about in a yard so might keep it simple for now. 

That said, I wonder if a Hornby pacer motor would fit in there.....

They can be self- propelled on site, with the drive being disconnected for longer journeys.

Gordon A

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah - I had no idea I was interested in the Dapol 15 ton crane kit. I must be, as I've just watched 3 of David Hyde"s videos, showing how he tackled construction and painting of his version!

Well, actually, I'm not particularly interested in the Dapol crane kit as such, but I was really interested to follow David as he built it. The video is well measured, with a nice balance of showing us how he goes about construction, all nearly recorded without repetition. It is lovely to see a consummate craftsman at work, and I've certainly picked up a number of tips. But I also realise that i have made a number of things much as David does, and it is encouraging to know that I'm not somewhere hopelessly off the inadequate scale!

So many thanks to David for his video, and to Southwell for sharing it with us at post 1 above.

John Storey

Ah - I had no idea I was interested in the Dapol 15 ton crane kit. I must be, as I've just watched 3 of David Hyde"s videos, showing how he tackled construction and painting of his version!

Well, actually, I'm not particularly interested in the Dapol crane kit as such, but I was really interested to follow David as he built it. The video is well measured, with a nice balance of showing us how he goes about construction, all nearly recorded without repetition. It is lovely to see a consummate craftsman at work, and I've certainly picked up a number of tips. But I also realise that i have made a number of things much as David does, and it is encouraging to know that I'm not somewhere hopelessly off the inadequate scale!

So many thanks to David for his video, and to Southwell for sharing it with us at post 1 above.

John Storey

Hi John,

What video's are these please?

Are they on Youtube or elsewhere?

Khris

Hi John,

What video's are these please?

Are they on Youtube or elsewhere?

Khris

Sorry to answer for John, but there's a link to the first one is in the first post of this topic - there are 4 showing how David altered the Dapol kit and put it together as well as modifying the GWR bolster bogie into a runner and then turning a brake van into a mess van (which I'm also considering!).

Here's a link to his whole youtube channel - loads of good modelling videos there:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf19i6XrVOK99d9PWJ9ZZrA

I completely agree with John, they're really good videos and I've learnt a lot from them - glad I'll be giving it a different paint job or I risk just making a dodgy copy!

Couple of photos of the fruits of my labours below - not quite as neat as David's work but I'm happy with it so far. As you can see, I've mainly focussed on the runner as I'm waiting for a couple of bits to arrive for the crane conversion.

post-29930-0-95180600-1541332489_thumb.jpeg

post-29930-0-58779000-1541332553_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Sorry to answer for John, but there's a link to the first one is in the first post of this topic - there are 4 showing how David altered the Dapol kit and put it together as well as modifying the GWR bolster bogie into a runner and then turning a brake van into a mess van (which I'm also considering!).

Here's a link to his whole youtube channel - loads of good modelling videos there:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf19i6XrVOK99d9PWJ9ZZrA

I completely agree with John, they're really good videos and I've learnt a lot from them - glad I'll be giving it a different paint job or I risk just making a dodgy copy!

Couple of photos of the fruits of my labours below - not quite as neat as David's work but I'm happy with it so far. As you can see, I've mainly focussed on the runner as I'm waiting for a couple of bits to arrive for the crane conversion.

attachicon.gifimage1.jpeg

attachicon.gifIMG_4335.JPG

Thanks for that.

Appreciated.

Khris

Hi all, 

For my next project, I've decided to have a crack at the Dapol Crane kit.

I've done some research, particularly on some of the threads on here, as well as looking at Paul Bartlett's photos:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbooth0-8-0

And watching this superb video from David Hyde, which is along the lines of what I'm planning (I even have the same GWR bogie bolster for the runner!):

So, off the bat, I know the bogies on the crane have to go. Initially my plan was to use an A3/4 chassis but I'm now thinking it might be easier to do what David did in his video and make a new chassis from plasticard instead. 

One thing I'm still not sure on is whether these cranes were self propelled or if they were shunted around by locos. If they were able to move on their own then part of me likes the idea of trying to get it motorised somehow, though that'll make it a bigger job (as well as more expensive than the cheap project I'd originally had in mind). 

I'm aiming for early 60s which I think will be the light greyish colour on Paul's photos (though any guidance on that too would be appreciated). 

Hi Southwell,

There is a drawing on page 146 of Peter Tatlow's book "Railay Cranes Volume 3".

I have a crane ready to go after I have finished various other projects and I am thinking about an LNER tender chassis cut and shut cut I will make my decision when I start the job.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Bit of an update on progress of the crane. Had a really productive day today, the top of the crane is all put together and the rigging added, so that just needs a paint.

The chassis is all made up too and detailed. It's currently upside down as I glue some lead shot into it to add a bit of weight. 

post-29930-0-76520700-1541884058_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with how it's come out. All that's left to do is to put the wheels in and paint it. 

I also did a bit of work on the runner. I'm a bit perplexed what I've done but the jib seems to only reach mid way down the runner, which isn't ideal and hasn't seemed to happen to others doing similar conversions. Maybe the mainline bolster bogie is longer or something? I'll get the coupling as close as possible to counteract it - any other ideas welcome! I have considered cutting it down somehow but it seems like a lot of work. 

post-29930-0-07829900-1541884473_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you both - I think you're right, I need a new Bogie Bolster. Thankfully the old one was free anyway so at least I've not paid twice - I've also not glued any of extra bits onto it, so they can still be used on the new one. Tempted to use the ratio kit as it's probably easier to modify before I put it together, though I can see the Hornby version for very similar amounts of money online too and the couplings/wheels will be better - guessing they'll be similar lengths, which is the biggest issue tbh.

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Here is my contraption so far.

It has the LNER tender chassis suitably cut and shut with new wheels fitted, the jib has been altered by lengthening it by 8mm by making the box section structure just up from the jib foot and the swan neck has been removed and replaced by a plasticard piece that is 3.5mm longer and comes to a finer point.

The match truck has been made from a Hornby Macaw H as noted in some of the above posts with the boxes and jib rest made from plasticard and Plastruct channel and tube.

post-34584-0-60827200-1541964500_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-39530100-1541964544_thumb.jpg

Gibbo.

• Like 10

Now that the 3rd in the series of crane books is out, there is a nice drawing of the Booth in it

Ian G

Hi Ian,

Peter Tatlow's books are a great help to those interested in cranes like me. I bought the third book a couple of weeks ago and have the the other two already which is why the Booth of Rodley has been resurrected after nearly twenty years in store.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

I have now painted the crane but it yet requires transfers which I think are available from CCT. The shade of grey that I have used is Humbrol 87 which has a blue tint that seems to be shewn in some of the photos on Paul Bartlett's web site. The photo on page 147 of Peter Tatlow's volume 3, also a Paul Bartlett photo, is quite blue. Some of the cranes pictured seem quite blue and others seem to be very pale like the early freight grey shades used on unfitted wagons, this may be original or it may be faded. By all means comment !

What the photos of my model have shewn is the scrappy joint of the swan neck extension on the left side of the jib head, this has since been filed down and repainted.

post-34584-0-81162900-1542273845_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-91689600-1542273879_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-93611400-1542273912_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-62098600-1542273942_thumb.jpg

Gibbo.

• Like 8

Unfortunarelly they do not appear on the CCT website?

Tim T

Modelling Cwm Cynon in EM

Hi Tim,

I've just checked and I've just found them listed as BL92 for £7.50,

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

I've even found this link to a thread dedicated to that very set,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14987-transfers-for-airfix-Dapol-booth-pw-crane-and-others/

I do hope you find this helpful rather than clever !

Gibbo.

Hi Tim,

I've just checked and I've just found them listed as BL92 for £7.50,

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

I've even found this link to a thread dedicated to that very set,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14987-transfers-for-airfix-Dapol-booth-pw-crane-and-others/

I do hope you find this helpful rather than clever !

Gibbo.

Yes, Gibbo, a set ordered this morning!

TimT

• Like 1

Right then, “Raiway Cranes vol. 3” has arrived.

The kit has arrived. The first task will be tosee if the wheels can be regauged to EM or if they needto be replaced.

Transfers already ordered from Mr Isherwood.

Tim T

Modelling Cwm Cynon in EM

• Like 1

Hi all!

Firstly, Gibbo675's efforts have put my little build to shame - particularly like the jib extension and how fine the work on the bogie wagon. Also, thanks to him for posting that link to the CCT sheet - sadly they don't seem to be processing orders at the moment, but it does answer a question I was going to ask about markings!

I got lucky on a certain auction site and got a Hornby bogie bolster for a very reasonable price - it arrived a few days ago and although it's a much better length, it rapidly became obvious the plasticard bits I'd done for the old wagon weren't going to be usable after all as they were too long so I got cracking on a new lot. Thankfully it gave me a chance to correct an earlier mistake - I'd missed off the little rise in the middle of the metalwork which seems to cover the crossbrace that the jib rest sits on - doing it for a second time allowed me to correct this.

Fruits of my labours below - I'll put a few more little details on it shortly and then it'll be on to painting. 

post-29930-0-51900900-1542752796_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi all!

Firstly, Gibbo675's efforts have put my little build to shame - particularly like the jib extension and how fine the work on the bogie wagon. Also, thanks to him for posting that link to the CCT sheet - sadly they don't seem to be processing orders at the moment, but it does answer a question I was going to ask about markings!

I got lucky on a certain auction site and got a Hornby bogie bolster for a very reasonable price - it arrived a few days ago and although it's a much better length, it rapidly became obvious the plasticard bits I'd done for the old wagon weren't going to be usable after all as they were too long so I got cracking on a new lot. Thankfully it gave me a chance to correct an earlier mistake - I'd missed off the little rise in the middle of the metalwork which seems to cover the crossbrace that the jib rest sits on - doing it for a second time allowed me to correct this.

Fruits of my labours below - I'll put a few more little details on it shortly and then it'll be on to painting. 

attachicon.gifcrane1.JPG

Hi Southwell,

No better, no worse, just different !!!

Don't be fooled by my poor photography either.

Gibbo.