Dapol Booth Rodley Crane

Southwell

Hi all!

Firstly, Gibbo675's efforts have put my little build to shame - particularly like the jib extension and how fine the work on the bogie wagon. Also, thanks to him for posting that link to the CCT sheet - sadly they don't seem to be processing orders at the moment, but it does answer a question I was going to ask about markings!

I got lucky on a certain auction site and got a Hornby bogie bolster for a very reasonable price - it arrived a few days ago and although it's a much better length, it rapidly became obvious the plasticard bits I'd done for the old wagon weren't going to be usable after all as they were too long so I got cracking on a new lot. Thankfully it gave me a chance to correct an earlier mistake - I'd missed off the little rise in the middle of the metalwork which seems to cover the crossbrace that the jib rest sits on - doing it for a second time allowed me to correct this.

Fruits of my labours below - I'll put a few more little details on it shortly and then it'll be on to painting. 

attachicon.gifcrane1.JPG

Hi Southwell,

Here are some sketches of the jib alterations that you may find useful, I made the alterations detailed below after I built the crane.

post-34584-0-51179000-1542789143_thumb.jpg

To fit the box at the jib foot I cut the narrow channel along its axis (across the axis of the jib) and then fitted the top and bottom sections to the main part of the jib with webs connecting them. The top and bottoms of the box have the square edge fit up to the flange of the cut transverse channel, this will form a socket for the foot of the jib to fit into once the glue has cured The depth of the webs have to made to fit the size of the jib as with my crane the depth of the jib was slightly different from side to side and the length of the webs are 8mm.

The box should now form a socket end to fit over the jib foot which the angle detail needs to be filled off, with careful lining up to ensure a square and straight fit. All parts are made from .020".

post-34584-0-81628000-1542789167_thumb.jpg

The sketch is made so the the deeper end meets the doubling plate at the crook of the swan neck, make sure you put in the cross bracing at the ends and top of the new section. Made from .030".

Another detail is a flat plate that attaches to the underside of the jib that bears upon the roller of the match truck, this is to the width of the jib and 10mm long. some angle will have to be filled off to allow this to be fitted, I arranged the one on my crane to sit centrally over the roller when the couplings were at their mid point. Made from .020".

Gibbo.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I have now built a riding van from an old Aifix GWR brake van. Using photos from Paul Bartlett's site as a guide, I cut some windows into the sides and ends of the van and also used some .030" plasticard to fill in the veranda to match the vans seen in the photos.

As the various vans are all a slight bit different I decided to have a mix and match to my own van and therefore does not directly correlate to any one van pictured. There are various boxes mounted on the underframes of the vans, I presume to hold propane cylinders, but I have not as yet made or fitted any such details. the van is not yet glazed although it might happen eventually along with transfers !

post-34584-0-71121200-1544129455_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-28979400-1544129545_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-97855000-1544129565_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-89491600-1544129595_thumb.jpg

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all - had a bit of a hectic December so the crane took a back seat, however things have settled down a bit now and I had the chance to finish it off this week. After several attempts to get the colour right I think I got somewhere near, even if it might be a bit too blue - it's quite hard to tell from the prototype photos, as Gibbo points out, some look more grey, some look blue. 

Initially I wasn't going to bother with the glazing but once it was all painted it did seem a shame not to have it so off came the roof and in it went. It actually allowed me to tidy up a slightly messy job I'd done on fitting the roof anyway so it was worth it.

Then it was a case of adding the transfers (CCT) and weathering it, using the prototype photos as a guide. I also added some extra bits to the jib runner - lifting gear and an oil barrel. Again,  inspired by the prototype photos. 

In all, I'm happy with the results - it looks the part on the layout and runs pretty well too. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking to take on a bit of kitbashing/scratchbuilding.

IMG_4487.JPG.b10ea7c768911f5d8c0cefdb06529dd6.JPGIMG_4490.JPG.894a1f44bb2aebc36c1eb344ebb68049.JPGIMG_4491.JPG.1ebadb4c5d7dce92af8ad5484c5dbb3a.JPG

Special thanks to Gibbo 675 and Southernman46 who both sent me some really handy info.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

8 hours ago, Southwell said:

Hi all - had a bit of a hectic December so the crane took a back seat, however things have settled down a bit now and I had the chance to finish it off this week. After several attempts to get the colour right I think I got somewhere near, even if it might be a bit too blue - it's quite hard to tell from the prototype photos, as Gibbo points out, some look more grey, some look blue. 

Initially I wasn't going to bother with the glazing but once it was all painted it did seem a shame not to have it so off came the roof and in it went. It actually allowed me to tidy up a slightly messy job I'd done on fitting the roof anyway so it was worth it.

Then it was a case of adding the transfers (CCT) and weathering it, using the prototype photos as a guide. I also added some extra bits to the jib runner - lifting gear and an oil barrel. Again,  inspired by the prototype photos. 

In all, I'm happy with the results - it looks the part on the layout and runs pretty well too. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking to take on a bit of kitbashing/scratchbuilding.

IMG_4487.JPG.b10ea7c768911f5d8c0cefdb06529dd6.JPGIMG_4490.JPG.894a1f44bb2aebc36c1eb344ebb68049.JPGIMG_4491.JPG.1ebadb4c5d7dce92af8ad5484c5dbb3a.JPG

Special thanks to Gibbo 675 and Southernman46 who both sent me some really handy info.

Hi Southwell,

Your crane looks fantastic, super work and thanks for the nod !

I shall have to finish mine off, the transfers are in the box ready but I'm doing other stuff at the moment.

Gibbo.

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

What are the two boxes on the back behind the cabin? They look to be unequal in size with a gauge of some sort on the side. One model has a protrusion on the top but I don't see that on prototype pictures. Fuel tanks? Air compressors?

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, jonhall said:

there is another at the Gwilli Railway

Jon

boothscraneGwilli060.jpg

boothscraneGwilli061.jpg

boothscraneGwilli062.jpg

boothscraneGwilli063.jpg

boothscraneGwilli064.jpg

boothscraneGwilli065.jpg

boothscraneGwilli066.jpg

boothscraneGwilli067.jpg

boothscraneGwilli068.jpg

boothscraneGwilli069.jpg

boothscraneGwilli070.jpg

boothscraneGwilli071.jpg

boothscraneGwilli072.jpg

boothscraneGwilli073.jpg

Excellent pictures thank you. This example does nor have the two boxes behind the cabin. What were these for?

On 15/01/2020 at 20:02, ikcdab said:

Excellent pictures thank you. This example does nor have the two boxes behind the cabin. What were these for?

They both seem to have gauges on, so I would guess fuel tanks - it is possible that on a preserved railway, the fuel capacity required is rather lower, and to avoid bio-buildup in the tank (or theft), a smaller internal arrangement has been implemented?

Jon

• 1 year later...

As far as I know, the pictures of the crane as Jon took is the crane as it is today. I don't know if the Gwili did take the tanks off it, I would have to ask the HOD of C &W, as Far as I am wear of it never had those tank on it, I have been a volunteer down there for a good while. The crane has had very limited use since the railway new crane but it has done it job. to really work with these cranes you need at least 2 of them as they can't help much with a derailed train. 

mike