Industrial Beyer Gattatts 0-4-0+0-4-0. Standard gauge

a Peter K Manning Wardle 0-6-0 tank.

Mind you, if building the Manning is as stressful as trying to build his GWR 3521 kit, then it will be interesting!!!

I've built one, and by Peter K standards it's not bad - not least because it's one of his few kits that came with instructions!

The main problems I had were caused by it being designed around components that are no longer available.

It's intended to have a rigid chassis, Sharman wheels and 2mm axles and be powered through a Peter K gear bracket by a Canon(?) motor mounted vertically in the firebox.

Mines got a compensated chassis, Gibson wheels and eighth-inch axles powered through a High-Level gearbox by a Mashima motor mounted horizontally in the boiler.

It's such a tiny loco clearances are ultra-tight everywhere and it took an awful lot of tweaking to get it right.

I've just found the £700 Garrett.

It is a made up kit, so the price is ,sort of , understandable.

£300 odd is for the unassembled kit. Again, only game in town, so sort of understandable.

We aren't doing too badly for industrials on eface at the moment.

An unbuilt body with wheels for the K's little Hudswell, the aformentioned Garrett and a Doxford Crane tank, a High Level Hawthorn Leslie 0-6-0 and a Peter K Manning Wardle 0-6-0 tank.

Mind you, if building the Manning is as stressful as trying to build his GWR 3521 kit, then it will be interesting!!!

Both my mate Mike, the man who built my Garrett, and his Dad, Brian, who was a building genius both decided against it!!!

Amazingly, considering all the grief they get, on occaision, on this site, Mike built the Falcon Brass 3521 Class and found it massively better than the Peter K example!!!

I've just stuck my head over the parapet again!!! So I'm waiting for the shots!!!!

Chris.

Thanks for the tip off there about the ebay stuff. I have just got another K's Hudswell Clarke. It's the body castings only, plus two sets of Manning Wardle wheels, which is fine because I still have the patterns from making the new frames for the last Hudswell that I built and am also building another Manning Wardle class H.

These Beyer-Garratt kits - are they the Backwoods ones? I read somewhere on Facebook that they are not 4mm, but, like the Crane Tank, are actually 3.5mm/ft. Is that correct? I've never seen the Garratt for myself but have seen a couple of the crane tanks and they definitely look to be underscale for 4mm.

Thanks for the tip off there about the ebay stuff. I have just got another K's Hudswell Clarke. It's the body castings only, plus two sets of Manning Wardle wheels, which is fine because I still have the patterns from making the new frames for the last Hudswell that I built and am also building another Manning Wardle class H.

These Beyer-Garratt kits - are they the Backwoods ones? I read somewhere on Facebook that they are not 4mm, but, like the Crane Tank, are actually 3.5mm/ft. Is that correct? I've never seen the Garratt for myself but have seen a couple of the crane tanks and they definitely look to be underscale for 4mm.

My pleasure with ebay.

The kits are the Backwoods ones.

As far as I am concerned, mine appears to be 4mm.It dosen't suffer in a size comparason with my stock and after seeing the real thing up against an Ironclad at the Museum of Science and Industry a number of years ago, I reckon it is all-right.

Chris.

The crane tank was definitely HO but I assume that was because it was based on the drawings in the Railway Modeller back in about 1970 which were HO - I checked them some years ago and they really are (presumably mistakenly as they are stated to be 4mm). Surely RM can't have made the same mistake twice? Curses, better not be, I've just started the Garratt kit, and I'm going to have to check now, if I can find the Garratt drawings....

That's RM Nov 72 you want (John Pomroy's 'Winton' with an A4 on the cover).

"DO NOT TRUST THE DRAWING" that's what my notes of approx 1972 say. Compared to the printed dimensions, the end elevation looks pretty good for 4mm scale. The side elevation has been expanded about 7% linear over quoted dimensions (and let's hope they are correct!). Just a quick glance will confirm the mismatch between the two elevation's scaling.