Dennis Lovett retires from Bachmann Europe

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Dennis - may you have a long and happy retirement!

Having known you for almost 40 years, I am am sure we will continue to bump into each other either at an exhibition or at a Gulls match!

If you are ever in the Rugeley area, drop me a PM and feel free to drop in for a cuppa and a play on one of our layouts.

Take care and stay safe.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A great gent of integrity and honesty, hopefully Dennis will now find time to do more modelling...

Our paths crossed at shows and on the real railway in our mutual places of work - always a pleasure  to chat and put the world to rights.

Oft said but here true - a hard act to follow.

Have fun in the future , I do wonder what apart from loose staples you will find at back of the desk... 

Robert   

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

I would like to say very many thanks to Dennis for all that he has done in his PR role at Bachmann.

I am fortunate to be able to call him ‘a personal friend’ as we have known each other from the early 80s, both having connections at that time with the printing industry as well as railways and model railways.

When I moved to the Milton Keynes Model Railway Society area at that time, I wrote to Dennis as the Club Chairman to ask if I could visit – he very promptly and kindly arranged that for me.

Since then, we have been in touch frequently and he has been of great help to me when I was Publications Manager of the Somerset & Dorset Railway Trust and more recently in my ‘lead role’ of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team.

Although we have had a close friendship, Dennis has always maintained his ‘professional integrity’ and has never so much as dropped the merest hint of what is in the company future programme.

On the odd occasion when I needed a Bachmann loco repaired, I was able to drop it off to his home and he would take it personally to the workshop. A few days later, he would bring it direct to my house on his way home from Barwell. I bet that wasn’t in his job description!

He may not be ‘Bachmann’ any more, but we certainly won’t have seen the last of him – he is a keystone in this hobby!

All the very best, Dennis.

Brian

• Like 7

All the best for your retirement, Dennis.

A few years ago, I phoned up the Bachmann Collectors Club with the intention of renewing my membership. Usually, I would speak to the club Secretary, but to my surprise, I got Dennis on that particular occasion. That's the only time I have actually spoken to Dennis, but it left a very favourable impression on me.

:)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lummy retiring before Warley Show! How have you got away with that?

I have known Dennis through various parts of the hobby and real railways for a long time. Enjoy your retirement and hope to see you at Warley as a "visitor".

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Best of luck to you Dennis in your retirement, I have had the pleasure of meeting you a couple of times and chatting (most recently at the MK show) and I have personally always greatly admired the professionalism and integrity that has been a hallmark of the Bachmann brand in the UK. Operating in a similar role very much in my infancy career wise compared to you, I have quickly learned the challenges involved (in some ways my previous work in political and corporate communications was a cake walk in comparison!) so I can only help but admire the way you have gone about your role over your time with Bachmann. 

All the very best from the Accurascale team and look forward to chatting to you again at shows in the future.

Cheers!

Fran. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Well said Andy - many thanks

Have had the pleasure of speaking to Dennis on several occasions at shows and he has always had the good grace to listen to my ramblings .... many thanks , and thanks also for  your contribution to the fantastic range of models we have had from Bachmann whilst you have been there and also for the massive amount of work that must have gone in to keeping a presence in the public eye.

Perhaps Colas need to name another 37 - so Bachmann can do another limited edition?

Phil

• Like 6

I have spoken to Dennis on a couple of occasions; just one face in a sea of thousands. A marvellous chap. The comments about the club magazine are very much to the point – it has been an excellent publication under Dennis’s editorship. May he have a long and happy retirement.

As to naming a Colas loco, in the words of Margaret Thatcher, “What a good idea!”

All the best for a long and happy retirement Dennis.  But like so many retired railwaymen the real question to ask is how many more retirements you'll be enjoying before finally settling down to deal with the garden and shopping?

More news on that in due course!

A further surprise for Dennis this lunchtime as colleagues surprised him with a gathering and presentations. He was speechless; for 15 seconds.

1541178661214_0_IMG_20181102_130833.jpg

He was surprised to find his wife, Jenny, was in on it too and they set about carving up his Cakebox Challenge entry with the most accurate icing loco we'd seen to date.

IMG_20181102_140759.jpg

Dave Lowery looks horrified as Peter Marriott explains the size of his pumpkins to Phil Parker.

0_IMG_20181102_130429.jpg

Dave Haarhaus gave Dennis a warm send-off and so we move on to the next chapter...

Bachmann Europe Plc appoint new Communications Manager

Bachmann Europe Plc today announced the appointment of Richard Proudman as the company’s Communications Manager following the retirement of Public Relations Manager, Dennis Lovett.

Richard joined Bachmann in 2013 as part of the Bachmann Collectors Club team and worked his way up to the position of Bachmann Collectors Club Manager. Richard also takes over as Editor of the popular Bachmann Times magazine which is part of the Bachmann Collectors Club membership package.

Richard said “I’ve been lucky enough to work alongside Dennis for the last five years and I’m excited to now put that experience and knowledge to good use in my new role. Along with our award-winning model railway ranges, I take great interest in the wide variety of model and hobby products that Bachmann Europe distribute and I’m really looking forward to talking about these products more with our customers and consumers.”

After 13 years with Bachmann, Dennis’ retirement marks the end of a 48-year career working with railways, both real and model. Dennis took employment with British Rail upon leaving school in 1970 and worked for Network SouthEast, InterCity and Virgin Trains before joining Bachmann. Dennis said “It has been a pleasure to meet so many modellers at shows, the model railway media and of course our trade customers over the last 13 years. I am sure Richard will do an outstanding job in his new role and that you will grant him the same patience, understanding and friendship that this hobby has offered me during my time with Bachmann. I wish my former colleagues every success in future years and look forward to seeing plenty of exciting developments from a totally different perspective!”.

Managing Director, David Haarhaus said “I am delighted that Richard has taken on this new role, he has worked with Dennis his whole career at Bachmann, making this appointment a natural and seamless choice. His familiarity with the Collectors Club and our many product ranges makes him well equipped for the opportunities that lie ahead.

I would like to thank Dennis for his support, energy and enthusiasm for the industry and our wonderful products for these many years. He has become ever present at public exhibitions and I have only ever received positive feedback from the professional manner with which he has handled the many thousands of consumer enquiries. The Bachmann Times is a thoroughly good read for all to enjoy and we have benefited from his great relationship with the railway press. All of us at Bachmann wish him the best of health and happiness in his retirement.”

• Like 16