BRM December '18 - LAYOUT SPECIAL

SteveCole

One thing which stands out in the December printed issue (more so than November's in my opinion) is the much more 'open' page layout, far more readable I've found.  Has there been a bit more change in that respect for this issue or is it just me?

Evolution rather than revolution I'd say Mike, despite there being 10 layout features in the magazine I've long said that we need to give features some breathing space rather than trying to cram too much in. I really like Oly Turner's Six Quarters, only two spreads but it oozes atmosphere.

• Like 1

• Moderators

One thing which stands out in the December printed issue (more so than November's in my opinion) is the much more 'open' page layout, far more readable I've found.  Has there been a bit more change in that respect for this issue or is it just me?

A little change, but January's issue will see the most significant...

• RMweb Premium

I've just had a cracking offer through from World of Railways - the next 5 editions (printed) of BRM for only £5.  At £1 each that's a terrific bargain, but I won't be taking it up because I'm quite happy with my current digital sub.

I also noted when looking at my Pocketmags library that they're offering to complete my BRM collection - 87 back issues for £59.99, ie 69p each.  Were I in funds at the moment I might have been tempted.....

DT

The one I got from Tesco had a copy of garden rail and narrow gauge world bundled with it but no dvd and was 5.99

Local Smith's in Pontefract, Magazine and DVD £4.75

Gary

• RMweb Gold

I've bought the magazine on & off for a couple of years. This is the first time I've got round to shoving the disc into a newish Windows computer but nothing is happening. (I can see a couple of folders Audio_TS and Video_TS plus a file Desktop.ini.) Am I missing a trick? I cannot see any instructions on the card wallet 'application xyz required to play'. Looking forward to seeing the smoke effects, thanks.

You will need a program capable of playing DVDs. Windows doesn't come with one. VLC is free and has a pretty good reputation.

• RMweb Premium

Having spent a few days reading most of this issue I am very impressed with the quality of the magazine. My only gripe is that only one of the layouts has a track plan. I understand that track plans probably are a lot of work for someone but when reading about a layout and looking at the photos they fill in a lot of answers about the layout that without the article being three times longer will never be answered.

As I said above a great issue and I hope my comments are taken as a plea not as criticism.

Edited by Chris116

I really like Oly Turner's Six Quarters, only two spreads but it oozes atmosphere.

Oly's worked magic with this. 

I'd like to say we nurtured the youth well, but it wasn't the railway modelling part of bleak and filthy that you'd necessarily ascribe to our malign influence...   :sungum:  :jester:

• Moderators

Having spent a few days reading most of this issue I am very impressed with the quality of the magazine. My only gripe is that only one of the layouts has a track plan. I understand that track plans probably are a lot of work for someone but when reading about a layout and looking at the photos they fill in a lot of answers about the layout that without the article being three times longer will never be answered.

As I said above a great issue and I hope my comments are taken as a plea not as criticism.

Hi Chris,

We're listening - the layout special was something of a one-off and many are smaller layouts which it was felt didn't justify a trackplan. Our January issue however has some cracking trackplans and 'spoiler alert' - our Feb issue takes it a step further!

Howard

• RMweb Premium

Well done for another well thought through edition of BRM! I note the various comments on track plans. While that is the term I grew up with, I now think in terms of 'layout plans' that also reveal how scenic elements have been arranged, show the size of full and half-relief buildings, explain where certain tracks are hidden and how perspective and viewing angles have been managed and space optimised. Even (perhaps especially) for smaller layouts, such plans can be really helpful.

Just another comment on photos and captions. Page 84 (Thakeham Tiles), the top photo is of the model but the caption is about the prototype (I think)

I don't really care about track plans but it is helpful to have some distance shots of most of the layout so we can see how it all hangs together. A few of the articles (Tgb Metals, Thakeham, Scratchy Bottom) are just a succession of close up photos. This means some of the things mentioned in the article aren't pictured.

You will need a program capable of playing DVDs. Windows doesn't come with one. VLC is free and has a pretty good reputation.

I had the same problem - solved with VLC.  My virus checkers etc. gave it their clearance and it seems to work well. Thanks Nimbus.

Well done for another well thought through edition of BRM! I note the various comments on track plans. While that is the term I grew up with, I now think in terms of 'layout plans' that also reveal how scenic elements have been arranged, show the size of full and half-relief buildings, explain where certain tracks are hidden and how perspective and viewing angles have been managed and space optimised. Even (perhaps especially) for smaller layouts, such plans can be really helpful.

I too found the lack of track plans frustrating. To my mind a good track plan is essential, whatever the size of the layout. Portsea and the relationship between its stations and the harbour still has me bluffed, and Scratchy Bottom is a puzzle confused by the control panel diagram.. 

• Administrators

Has anyone who got the print edition from tesco ( with the 2 extra magazines ) been able to claim the DVD, the web address in the magazine returns a 404 error

It looks like there is an issue with this. We'll take a look. I blame computers, they'll never catch on...

• Like 2

I too found the lack of track plans frustrating. To my mind a good track plan is essential, whatever the size of the layout. Portsea and the relationship between its stations and the harbour still has me bluffed, and Scratchy Bottom is a puzzle confused by the control panel diagram.. 

I should have added that, despite this, I have thoroughly enjoyed this issue.

• Administrators

A very nice issue with an interesting selection of layouts. Out of curiosity, can I ask what the layout is in the Marklin My World review?

It's the Leamington & Warwick MRS "Duxbury" - on show at Warley this weekend, but without the Marlkin.