Introducing Simon Bendall - Hattons Contributor

Hattons Dave

Pleased to see Si at Hattons and wish him well. The two articles are interesting. However I hope he can also be employed to get the eras correct; presently there are just too many silly mistakes where the era refers to the original build date of a model, but ignores the livery applied.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Presently there are just too many silly mistakes where the era refers to the original build date of a model, but ignores the livery applied.

Hi Paul,

We're currently doing a lot of behind the scenes working getting our listings ready for our new website, www.hattonshobbies.com , which has full searchable listings by locomotive and rolling stock subtype, liveries and eras. At this stage in development a number of eras are showing on the system incorrectly on both sites however we're working on these as a priority and should be fixed shortly.

We're always appreciative of any further info for our listings so thanks for your emails so far and if there's any more items you see please let me know.

Cheers,

Dave
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul,

We're currently doing a lot of behind the scenes working getting our listings ready for our new website, www.hattonshobbies.com , which has full searchable listings by locomotive and rolling stock subtype, liveries and eras. At this stage in development a number of eras are showing on the system incorrectly on both sites however we're working on these as a priority and should be fixed shortly.

We're always appreciative of any further info for our listings so thanks for your emails so far and if there's any more items you see please let me know.

Cheers,

Dave

That all sounds very good, Dave.

On a similar note, would it be possible to include the registration number for road vehicles (where manufactures print it on) in the description, please? 

I pretty much know my buses, but dates for car and lorry models are less well known, so the registration would be a quick date check for compatibility with my modelling era. Sometimes it is visible in your stock photos, sometimes not, largely depending on the plate's position on the model.

Hi Paul,

Cheers,

Dave

Dave

Thank you. Interesting. As you know my interests are related to wagonry. Usually, at least for BR owned wagons the era stages are not too difficult. Era 4 and 5 are similar - although the wood of unfitted wagons in era 4 were initially unpainted, which later changed to only applying to opens so flows into era 5. There is also a tendency for those wagons with a black ground to have individual grounds for tare and running number and later for this to become a single larger black ground - although whether this ever appeared in an instruction I doubt. The change from the plain writing to having them in boxes is an introduction from 1963 so very late era 5 and best ignored and is mostly era 6 (not corporate image which came a couple of years later). The maintenance panels which some of the RTR manufacturers are getting wound up about - as they are usually unreadable on our photos came at the same time. Era 7 came a bit late on wagons from 1974 with TOPS codes - although these were slow to be added.

I'll agree that the private owners are more difficult - I did object to a Hornby era specification of prewar for a Midlands Tar Distillers wagon that was based on my  photograph taken from a WCML electric hauled express in era 6 - and with a phone number which was also from this period.

What this example highlights - and the new listings of Dapol 7mm diag 108 minerals on your site - is that eras shouldn't refer to when an article was introduced but to the period of the finish.

Paul