A difficult start

mogtrains

Wow. 

I've been modelling US HO for a while.. dabbled in GN15,OO9, OO... 3mm.. but always had a German itch to scratch. (spoiler - I am half Hamburger!) Some months ago I thought I'd build a little micro layout to get me going. I've settled on Ep4.. somewhere around HH.

I bought what I thought was a fairly modern set of HO wagons - set of 8 from Roco. Turns out they were quite old mouldings.. tractor wheels and I've had to hack at them to fit Kaydees. No worries, not ideal, but job done.

Next I bought a new loco. Didn't want to take a chance on something second hand. I picked up a Fleischmann 212. To say I was disappointed was an understatement. Again, obviously a very old model. (The worst thing was that I have paid less for excellent US HO locos with sound)

Anyway.. I got everything weathered up.. starting to look better and decided to motor on. Or not... this evening placed the loco on the track (DC).. it ran a little and then just stopped. For some reason the front bogie is shorting. I cannot find the source.. although there is also a wire flailing around from the giant bulb.

<Sigh>.

I've decided to put everything away in boxes again and perhaps come back to it when I'm less dejected!

Does it have to be so hard to get started modelling German HO ?!

Any top tips greatly appreciated :-)

Hi Mog,

Sorry to hear of you woes, the 8 packs of wagons that Roco do are old 1970s Rowa models that lack NEM pockets. I hear you on the wheels,I use RP25 replacements from this seller on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/benno00222

Loco wise I'd suggest a Roco 215 or 290, they're both pretty decent th hers, all wheel drive and pick up like the US locos you'll be familiar with and as they're put into train sets there are a lot of cheap ones about. Anorak Anonymous have good prices, they're on eBay as Harry's Toy shop.

If you want any more specific help Pm me as im just down the A60

Just one question- HH = Hansastadt Hamburg? That sounds like a v cool layout concept.

All the best

Nick

• Like 1

Hi Mog,

Sorry to hear of you woes, the 8 packs of wagons that Roco do are old 1970s Rowa models that lack NEM pockets. I hear you on the wheels,I use RP25 replacements from this seller on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/benno00222

Loco wise I'd suggest a Roco 215 or 290, they're both pretty decent th hers, all wheel drive and pick up like the US locos you'll be familiar with and as they're put into train sets there are a lot of cheap ones about. Anorak Anonymous have good prices, they're on eBay as Harry's Toy shop.

If you want any more specific help Pm me as im just down the A60

Just one question- HH = Hansastadt Hamburg? That sounds like a v cool layout concept.

All the best

Nick

Cheers Nick..

I won't give up just yet.. maybe I can fix the loco. Some good tips :-)

(and Yep - Hamburg.. it's the bit of Germany I'm familiar with)

Martin

Edited by mogtrains
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To someone used to US wheel profiles, those Roco wheels must seem very coarse. But they will work well on Code 83 and Code 75 track. The lack of coupler boxes is a bit more of an issue.

To be fair, they are pretty cheap at about £6 per wagon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Since you're wanting to use Kadee couplers, it might be worth noting that the Roco 290 doesn't have NEM boxes. Not sure about the 215, but it was a very early model with solid (non-transparent) windows. The Roco 218 is a much more recent model. I'd also suggest a Roco 211 or 212—much better than the old Fleischmann model and it does have NEM boxes.

If you're into digital sound, Trix do a 211/212 with sound.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1