3 1/2 inch narrow gauge LINDA

mswjr

Hi All, This is my new project, I have done a few 5 inch gauge Standard Gauge Locos, But i have a soft spot for the early narrow gauge stuff,After a visit to wales,and a few books later .I decided to build Linda in original condition,As im getting older i decided to make it in 3 1/2 inch ,But it is still big,and getting heavy,I am not putting all the fine detail on her,like i did on some of my other locos, as i want to play with it before i get much more older,I have also started some wagons to go with it.

post-9174-0-66287100-1541273870_thumb.jpg

post-9174-0-63206800-1541273938_thumb.jpg

post-9174-0-04783500-1541274001_thumb.jpg

post-9174-0-63628500-1541274115_thumb.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 months later...

Lots more done, I have done most of the motion parts last year, So looks like i have done more than i have, but mostly just trial fitting, I am finishing the cylinders at the moment.It is also getting Heavy.

post-9174-0-66232200-1547068107_thumb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Thanks Giles, I usually build 5 inch gauge,Standard gauge locos,And as im getting older i decided not to build anymore as they are getting harder to move around,But after a holiday in wales,I was quite hooked on the narrow gauge,Then after a lot of reading im quite hooked on the Penrhyn railway ,So that is how LINDA came about,It is also getting a lot more heavier than some of my 5 inch tank locos,and im also a lot older than when i started to build it,So it will be raised track not ground level. Much better for my back.

Edited by mswjr

• 2 months later...

Thank Appreciated. I must post some more pictures soon as i have done a lot more, The drawings i have used are from Blackgates engineering, I think it is their own design, (CHARLES)  but they have a lot of errors, Use them as a guide only and detail up to good pictures .  

• 1 year later...

Well loving this self isolation thing, Almost finished LINDA now, a year since I last posted, I have a few small jobs remaining, but I have just ran out of propane gas to do the silver soldering , so it will have to wait until we can get out, hope you like her so far.

IMG_0076.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

What a superb piece of engineering. Congratulations on having (almost) reached the goal post.  Although I suppose building it is as much part of the fun as steaming it.

• Like 2

Mikkel, Thankyou, Yes you are right building it is more fun.  I get a big kick when I steam and drive it, But I get a lot more enjoyment building them, I did promise the wife that this would be my last one thou.

• Like 2

Lovely!  your model captures the loco beautifully!

I have happy memories of several summer holidays as a teenager firing Linda, and less frequently, her sister Blanche, with Phil or Warren driving.

Happy days :)

simon

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, mswjr said:

But I get a lot more enjoyment building them, I did promise the wife that this would be my last one thou.

Promised it would be your last Steam Loco.

But you didn't say anything about a Traction Engine.  Or Steam Lorry. Or....:jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

I have built 2 traction engine's in the past, I am pretty sure she is on to me now, I have got a set of drawing's for a showman's scenic engine thou, Need a reason to stay out in the shed.

• Like 3

Gile's yes it would be lovely in 3 inch scale, but im not getting any younger , Not sure how I am going to get LINDA of the bench yet, Got no chance of building a 3 inch without the wife noticing ,I am also considering  16mm garden railway as I can still build loco's and then steam them from the garage, That's all to decide later,Got to play with LINDA first.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...