Cheap(er) sound for a Hornby 101

hucknall byron

My recently aquired dcc ready Hornby class 101 will need a decoder. My layout is basically a scenic area of a station with bridges at both ends as a scenic break to a fiddle yard. I already have a Bachmann DMU with leggomans excellent sound project fitted but my new (smaller by necessity) layout does not do it justice. For this model i am thinking a tts decoder and living with what will be i know a compromise. There is not currently a tts dmu decoder so i have spent some time listening to the range of available sounds and am currently trying to convince myself that the class 31 does indeed sound a lot like the craven engine. Ok there are no gear changes or twin start ups but the "tinny" rasp seems to be there to my ears anyway. For an extra £20 or so over a non sound decoder I need convincing that this is a good way to go. 

I can do 21-pin v3.5 DMU chips for £55 including carriage.

Thanks Charlie, I have sent you an email and I think Richard Croft has as well. That would be great, I will give you a ring as soon as the model arrives and I have taken the top off to look at (what will be) my first go at an installation. I do know that it has an 8pin socket so I hope that doesn't make it to difficult for me to do.

Next cheapest option for you might be Soundtraxx Econami British DMU, about 67GBP from a certain large retailer. 21 Pin Requiring 8 pin converter or hardwire. The DMU sounds are pretty good

You can get 8-pin versions of the same thing.

I have a 21-pin one myself and tried out all of the sounds when installed in a Bachmann Ivatt 10001 diesel. The DMU engine sounds are good but there didn't appear to be any gear changes, although I didn't test it on the move very far. There is also a range of horn sounds to try out on the same decoder.

I have ordered two more of the Econami decoders, one 21-pin to go into 10000, allowing the two diesels to run easily in multiple when I am ready, and one 8-pin version to go into my Heljan Lion - I'll be using the class 47 sounds for that, but not the 47 horns.

In my opinion, the Econami doesn't match the best quality decoder sounds from the likes of legomanbiffo, Howes, Paul Chetter, and so on, but at the price, they are good, and cover locos I cannot get 'proper' sounds for in any case, since they no longer exist and no one seems to have done any decent recordings of them when they did exist.

Going back to the requirement for class 101 sounds, on a short run layout, such as an end to end one, the Econami DMU sound would probably be quite adequate because one could shut off power as the DMU leaves the stage (so to speak), simulating the first gear change as it goes.

Edit: fixed a typo - I mistyped 'shut', hitting the next letter over. The profanity filter kicked in! :D

Edited by SRman

Thanks Charlie, I have sent you an email and I think Richard Croft has as well. That would be great, I will give you a ring as soon as the model arrives and I have taken the top off to look at (what will be) my first go at an installation. I do know that it has an 8pin socket so I hope that doesn't make it to difficult for me to do.

Sadly we have no 8Pin V3.5 Decoders, only 21Pin ones.   Charlie

You can get 8-pin versions of the same thing.

I have a 21-pin one myself and tried out all of the sounds when installed in a Bachmann Ivatt 10001 diesel. The DMU engine sounds are good but there didn't appear to be any gear changes, although I didn't test it on the move very far. There is also a range of horn sounds to try out on the same decoder.

I have ordered two more of the Econami decoders, one 21-pin to go into 10000, allowing the two diesels to run easily in multiple when I am ready, and one 8-pin version to go into my Heljan Lion - I'll be using the class 47 sounds for that, but not the 47 horns.

In my opinion, the Econami doesn't match the best quality decoder sounds from the likes of legomanbiffo, Howes, Paul Chetter, and so on, but at the price, they are good, and cover locos I cannot get 'proper' sounds for in any case, since they no longer exist and no one seems to have done any decent recordings of them when they did exist.

Going back to the requirement for class 101 sounds, on a short run layout, such as an end to end one, the Econami DMU sound would probably be quite adequate because one could shut off power as the DMU leaves the stage (so to speak), simulating the first gear change as it goes.

Edit: fixed a typo - I mistyped 'shut', hitting the next letter over. The profanity filter kicked in! :D

I think the advertised '8 pin' versions in fact have no plug, unless this has changed?? Agreed, these are very versatile decoders with six UK sounds loaded. The English Electric sounds are nothing special but the 66 and 47 in fact are quite good. Edited by Johnfromoz
  • Like 1

If there is room you could yo us a 21pin breakout board then add a 6 pin harness to the board, that way you could still use the 21pin decoder Charlie has offered.

Chances are, if it is the Hornby 101 there will be plenty of room inside. From memory, the decoder socket is mounted on top of the motor mounting bracket in the guard's compartment. Can anyone confirm this, please?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

If there is room you could yo us a 21pin breakout board then add an 8 pin harness to the board, that way you could still use the 21pin decoder Charlie has offered.

That's the plan, of course the other limitation is that the 3.5 needs a 100 ohm speaker, which limits choice somewhat ....

• RMweb Gold

Chances are, if it is the Hornby 101 there will be plenty of room inside. From memory, the decoder socket is mounted on top of the motor mounting bracket in the guard's compartment. Can anyone confirm this, please?

Pretty sure that's the case, I'll confirm once I get time to take it apart - safety net deployed ;)