GER Worsdell M15 - A potential conversion?

Browsing through Hattons' 'Sale of the Century' pages, I came across this: https://www.hattons.co.uk/82876/Bachmann_Branchline_31_169_Class_5_L_YR_2_4_2T_50705_in_BR_black_with_early_emblem/StockDetail.aspx

Now, to be perfectly honest I'm not keen on that class, especially in their later condition, but I thought that the chassis may have potential for one of these glorious machines:

m15.jpg

Now, as some of you may know, Mr Charlie Connor (L49 on here) has created a 3D Print for the above loco, albeit in slightly later condition:

710x528_9520798_6584732_1491083595.jpg

Now, of course, the model would need some modification, though I'm hoping to ask Charlie if he can incorporate the earlier chimney and safety valves.

I think it is fairly obvious what I'm thinking here! Does anyone know, or able to find out, how closely the chassis match up between the L&Y tank and the M15? The 3D print is on sale at £55.61, including the chassis that I don't need, so I'm hoping to have a completed loco coming in at a price significantly under £120. It's not a very important project on my list of priorities, but if it is feasible then I may get the L&Y loco to put aside for a rainy day. As I say, not a priority, just a project I'm considering for the future.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Wikipedia gives the following vital statistics for the M15: driver dia: 5 ft 4 in; wheelbase 7'6" + 8'0" + 7'6"

It's less informative on the Class 5, giving driver dia: 5 ft 8 in but not the wheelbase. I suspect that as the more recent design, it may well be quite a bit bigger, particularly in the coupled wheelbase, to accommodate a larger firebox.

Both T.W. Worsdell and J.A.F. Aspinall were Crewe-trained, so it might be worth comparing Webb's 5'6" tank. The clue to the wheel diameter is in the name, in fact 5 ft 8 1/2 in allowing for the tyres, and the wheelbase is 7'5" + 8'3" + 6'9".

T.W.'s first design after his move to Gateshead was for an engine very similar to but fractionally larger than the M15, Class A with 5 ft 7 1/4" drivers and wheelbase 7'6" + 8'1 1/2" + 7'6".