EMGS commissions Peco for RTR EM Gauge bullhead track/turnouts

CloggyDog

• RMweb Gold

http://www.emgs.org/society-announces-ready-to-lay-em-gauge-track/

18.2mm gauge plain bullhead track due Dec 18, B6 lh/rh turnouts, with parallel sleepering on the straight road, due spring 2019, available through EMGS stores (including at expoEM events)

Should be a money-spinner for all concerned. A most positive sign of our times.
  • Like 2

Hopefully the EMGS will have specified a product that can be mixed with C&L track items. Being limited to B6 points will restrict many track designs so there will still be a need to create other points, slips, etc. However, this will hopefully provide an easier way into EM for those that wish to move away from 00.

• RMweb Premium

This is a terrifc boost for EM which i think may have been flagging a little as of the last few years.  Certainly if I modelled in 00 and was thinking of changing to either P4 or EM, this development might well sway me.

DT

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know, I design my big dream layout, buy the track.....Peco introduces 00 bullhead track.....hot on the heals of that comes EM gauge track.....No I am not ripping up my train set.

Well done Peco and the EMGS, hopefully we will see more EM layouts by modellers who like me suffer in our track building abilities.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

This is amazing news. While I dont model in EM myself (I have enough trouble in OO!), this can only be good news for the hobby. I wonder if PECO would consider retailing it through their usual distributors?

• RMweb Gold

Not so sure C&L and SMP will agree.....

I beg to differ.

This development will encourage a lot of  people to make a start in EM. They will then progress on to more complex, but compatible, trackwork supplied by other companies. A win for everybody.

• Like 5

I don't know, I design my big dream layout, buy the track.....Peco introduces 00 bullhead track.....hot on the heals of that comes EM gauge track.....No I am not ripping up my train set.

Well done Peco and the EMGS, hopefully we will see more EM layouts by modellers who like me suffer in our track building abilities.

Same here Clive, in my case it's in O.  For me 20 years too late.  But BIG THANKS to Peco, Well done.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

So as some of you may be aware or not as the case may be I'm the EMGS Trade officer and a EMGS Board member and being the youngest member on the Board by a good few years and a member of the forum, I will try and asnwer any questions or comments that you post up.

Hopefully the EMGS will have specified a product that can be mixed with C&L track items. Being limited to B6 points will restrict many track designs so there will still be a need to create other points, slips, etc. However, this will hopefully provide an easier way into EM for those that wish to move away from 00.

The reason for the B6 was one of space. I'm sure you would agree that for someone starting out/trying EM, they wouldn't want to build a big layout or need lots of space for the track plan so the B6 seamed to be the best compromise. The long term plan is to add to the range with other points etc as and when we are able too as each point isn't small pocket change to produce.

This is amazing news. While I dont model in EM myself (I have enough trouble in OO!), this can only be good news for the hobby. I wonder if PECO would consider retailing it through their usual distributors?

The EM track is exclusive to the EMGS and Peco won't be retailing it through thier normal stockists.

Thanks

Simon

• Like 3

It's a good development. There's only one RTR EM loco though. Shall we open a book on how many RTR locos with a factory EM option there might be in five years time? Likewise rolling stock specifically made and sold as 'EM compatible'.

I also wonder what the prospects might be for Irish Broad gauge track, given the continung steady development of fine RTR for that interest?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

For those not wanting to try Templot, here's a PDF file from Templot you can print containing straight B-6 turnout templates in EM:

em_b6.pdf

I don't know whether EMGS have gone for regular or generic V-crossings. With generic as above they just scrape onto a single A4 page. (With regular they would be slightly shorter.)

When printing it, make sure to set the page scaling to 100% or None. (This is not the default setting in most PDF readers).

Martin.

• Like 2

It's a good development. There's only one RTR EM loco though. Shall we open a book on how many RTR locos with a factory EM option there might be in five years time? Likewise rolling stock specifically made and sold as 'EM compatible'.

I also wonder what the prospects might be for Irish Broad gauge track, given the continung steady development of fine RTR for that interest?

The only diesels that i've had to buy wheels for are Hornby and Heljan. For Bachmann and Dapol I just pull the existing wheels out to gauge, you might have modify the brake shoes and pulls. Similarly most RTR stock accept replacement Gibson wheels, some require slight shaving of brake blocks. Accurascale wagons are designed to be EM friendly from the start.

Mike

• Like 1

Rumour has it that this idea was actually proposed many years ago, but was put to bed, to be awakened only when the time was appropriate. 

PECO are, in fact, sleeper agents.

Seriously though, this is excellent news for the community, and having one of the larger track manufacturers getting behind EM should give a boost to the success of the gauge. Now, if only Bachmann and Hornby would follow suit with an EM chassis option for some of their locomotives ... 

• Like 1