EMGS commissions Peco for RTR EM Gauge bullhead track/turnouts

CloggyDog

When Bill (the current chairman of the EMGS and fellow Shipley MRS member) told me last week to check the EMGS web site today because I might read something of interest, I never guessed it would be anything like this!  I am delighted to hear this announcement.  Perhaps I should qualify that by saying I would have been delighted had I not, a year ago, spent two gruelling months building 50+ soldered (yes you've guessed it) B6 points for the fiddle yard on Clayton .  I could have built a couple of loco's instead

With regards how this will effect C&L I am not so sure that it will significantly as this (the Peco offering) is still generic trackwork by fine scale standards.  60ft panels became standard in later years but initially steel works could not produce 60ft rail lengths and almost every company had its own standard/s.  The track work on Clayton has been built to GN standards and comprises 3 bolt chairs, 45ft track panels on the main line and 20ft track panels in the yard.   The sleeper spacing is therefore bespoke to these panel lengths.  Whilst I would have welcomed the availability of the Peco point work for our fiddleyard I would still have proceeded to hand build track using C&L track components on the scenic section of our layout even if the Peco EM track work had been available at the time, especially as most of the points required were C7's rather than B6's.

Having said all that, well done EMGS and well done Peco.  And for the rest of you prospective EM gauge modellers - 'come on in the waters lovely'!

Frank

In a strange way this could benefit both C&L and Exactoscale over the medium to long term, by encouraging more modellers to switch to EM gauge. But will affect EM gauge RTR track sales for both companies as far as EM Gauge Society members are concerned.

Edited by hayfield

• RMweb Premium

This could be enough to finally tempt me over to EM gauge.

Do it!

In 1:76 scale, EM is the best possible compromise you can have between fidelity and good running for standard gauge models. There are good workable standards for all the important dimensions. The EM Gauge Society's manual sheets going back decades are very readable and down to earth. As noted above, converting a RTR diesel or electric loco can be the work of moments and a finer wheelset will make it will look much better then and there -- finishing the job the manufacturer started!

I'm very pleased to hear this announcement and I completely agree with those who say it will boost the other track manufacturers' prospects. Let's hope the turnouts are soon flying off the EMGS store shelves ;-)

• Like 4

I guess the next interesting announcement will be the price. I'm guessing more than the OO BH points.

The EMGS has to decide whether to make these only available to members, thus aiming to boost membership; or (presumably in agreement with Peco) to make them generally available thus probably increasing demand and possibly lowering the price.

Apart from being happy that RTR points will be available, I am also pleased with this announcement as it shows ambition from EMGS in promoting itself to the wider modelling public. Well done. Perhaps we’ll see some of the track on future Great Railway Modelling Challenge episodes!?

The EMGS has to decide whether to make these only available to members, thus aiming to boost membership; or (presumably in agreement with Peco) to make them generally available thus probably increasing demand and possibly lowering the price.

I would have thought making them generally available and writing about them in the model railway press (I see scope for some 'Getting started in EM articles' in Railway Modeller to publicise and encourage this range since they're Peco products) would also boost membership by virtue of providing a larger pool of EM modellers who would want to take things further. 

I would have thought making them generally available and writing about them in the model railway press (I see scope for some 'Getting started in EM articles' in Railway Modeller to publicise and encourage this range since they're Peco products) would also boost membership by virtue of providing a larger pool of EM modellers who would want to take things further.

Patience mon brave!!

Such things are in place, in the near future!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very, very interesting! I know this will be commercially sensitive, but the fact that 'the society' is able to commission Peco to make this range makes me wonder if a commissioned OO B6 would be viable in addition to Peco's own Streamline geometry.

Then again, EM is suddenly a lot more attractive for time-poor people with aspirations to finer standards. Which I'm sure is the thinking behind this announcement

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the comments about general sales.

Given it's the EMGS that have been developing this as a benefit for members, why would they (we, I'm a member) give it away to non-members?

steve

Steve, if it were to be sold in shops it would raise the profile of EM gauge, encourage new punters to develop EM layouts, increase the sales (even if it cost more than when sold to EMGS members - who would then effectively be getting a discount), raise the profile of the EMGS, encourage PECO to develop more, etc etc. I really think it could be a win-win situation. I don't think anyone was suggesting that it would be giving it away, just stimulating and creating a new and much bigger market.  Just a thought.

all the best

Godfrey

Given it's the EMGS that have been developing this as a benefit for members, why would they (we, I'm a member) give it away to non-members?

It's an interesting point.

Of course, I don't know how much money each member of EMGS have contributed to the PECO development, I assume the EMGS are thinking that people will join in order to avail of the new track, thereby increasing it's membership.

Conversely the argument might be, if it's available to the non-EMGS public, then you might have lots of new members who have dipped their toe in the water wanting to join in order to get further into this aspect of the hobby. If this resulted in increased sales will it not also help lower the development cost of additional, yet to be manufactured, track (turnouts, crossing etc)?

[Edit: Godfrey's post similar sentiments to mine, was posted whilst I was composing]

Edited by Damo666

It's cracking news especially for those who have been toying with EM but put off by point building. It probably won't impact me much as I do enjoy building bespoke pointwork but would seriously consider it for fiddle yards or even if I needed a straight B6 on a scenic section. It may even encourage more to join whic is an added bonus

A starter pack is a good idea. Tbh membership cost isn't much in the scheme of things and well worth it for the manual alone.

If I can bodge diesel conversions then anyone can imo. Yet to try a steam loco... and I took the easy ultrascale route for my 09. Perhaps I'm a little odd in that I enjoy converting my stuff... they all seem to run better afterwards.

• Like 2

I saw this today and thought that would be fantastic and I could finally convert all my Bachmann OO stuff to EM, and have a nice little interchange with my 009 this actually looks right. then I read that it would be only available to society members. That's me means it's probably never going to get purchased by me as joining the society just to buy some track doesn't make sense. However if it was available to the general plebite like myself, then there would be a much higher chance of me; a) purchasing some and b) being more likely to join the society.

A starter pack is a good idea. Tbh membership cost isn't much in the scheme of things and well worth it for the manual alone.

If I can bodge diesel conversions then anyone can imo. Yet to try a steam loco... and I took the easy ultrascale route for my 09. Perhaps I'm a little odd in that I enjoy converting my stuff... they all seem to run better afterwards.

Could we see EM guage commissions of steam loco's from manufacturers such as Bachmann?

Do I recollect a manufacturer including a set of drop in EM Guage wheelesets into OO J69 one upon a time?

• RMweb Premium

Similar to the 2mm Society is may be what you mean?

Similar, although I think the concept is slightly different to the 2mmFS easi-trac and a 16 tonner pack, particularly as I'd suggest Society membership as part of the deal. I'd see the EMGS equivalent being a bigger bundle of stuff (not just in terms of scale), sort of a "here's a kick start to getting your EM layout up and running". Although how viable that is depends on pricing of course.

• Like 1

As Chairman of EMGS I am interested in all the comments that have been made so far and I am sure the Board will consider everything that has been said. This development has been underway for sometime, but there are a couple of members who have been at the forefront of the process and seen it through to this point. To them I express my personal appreciation and thanks. 

In answer to the question on sleeper thickness this is 0.5 mm thicker than the standard - this was driven by manufacturing considerations. I am fully expecting to have 3D prints on the EMGS stand at Warley, so please do come and have a look.

I will try and keep this thread updated over the next couple of months. For those in the North, the EMGS AGM will be coupled with a Modellers Day (non members are welcome) at the Tyndale Farmers Function Suite in Hexham, Northumberland, on Saturday 8th December where it is hoped that the plain track will be available.

I am already planning a layout using the new track and hopefully I will set up a blog so that you can follow progress of this project. :smile_mini:

• Like 11