EMGS commissions Peco for RTR EM Gauge bullhead track/turnouts

CloggyDog

I often wonder if posters jump in at the last post and not read any of the previous 245 ...

Dave

It is sometimes quite tempting to jump in and out of threads which usually just keep repeating themselves, however when you start making comments be prepared to be shot down.

Others seem to have an agenda, either with the society in question or just societies in general. In this case the society can never win

Some are bemoaning the cost of joining the society just to obtain some turnouts, without realising that the society are obtaining the items at a bulk rate price and the following mark up is far less than if the product would be if it had a full retail mark up, Only a rough guess but I would assume cost of membership would be recouped on the purchase of 4 to 6 turnouts, then you have access to the societies stores, magazines and handbook for free and access to Exactoscale parts at a discount

The society in my mind are actively promoting themselves and the gauge by firstly making these products available and perhaps even more so by it being exclusive to members.

To me even if membership is limited to the odd years, money well spent

• Like 1

I think I the intent of my question was misinterpreted. I'm wondering about the production capabilities of Peco regarding P4 turnouts, not how it could be arranged commercially.

From what I see of their other products I am sure that Peco are perfectly capable of producing P4 turnouts to the required tolerances. Albeit at a price. As to the viability. It goes back to the old comment from CF of "They don't know what they want".

In this case the EMGS do know what they want and are prepared to put up the money to get it.

If you want this track then the T&Cs are freely available. Buy on these terms or commission your own. Simples

Bernard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you want to change it then please join the society, become a member of the board and then spend lots of time rewrting the articles of adminastration, submitting them to Compaies house. Then you can also deal with the HMRC paperwork whch will need to be completed to enable us to sell to everyone.

Alternatively, and for anyone who feels it's still blatantly unreasonable that non-members can't buy the turnouts, then you can always:

1. Join the EMGS

2. Purchase a good few hundred turnouts.

3. Flog them privately to non-members in order to recoup your membership fee, and sleep easy at night knowing you've "beaten the system" and provided a service.

Now everyone's happy.

(MInd you, you'll need a good few quid at the outset, and it'll take a while to get your money back)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As far as I'm concerned I got my money back the day I joined EMGS.

Cheap...

code 75 bullhead

plywood sleepers

copperclad

+

point blade filing jig

v- filing jig

common crossing assembly jig

etc etc

Don't see what the problem is with parting with £20 to cut out all that hassle of building pointwork and plain track.

"How you can benefit by joining the EMGS On joining the Society a member receives:

• The current newsletter and, whilst stocks last, all the back issues for the year.
  • A CD with the Society Manual sheets (400+ pages) plus a set of colour coded wiring diagrams.
  • Society Manual sheets also available on-line along with current and backdate Newsletters.
  • A set of track and turnout drawings which form the basis of construction (EM or P4)
  • The current price list and order form for goods available through the Trade Officer.
  • On-line ordering from the EMGS Stores for your EM and P4 modelling requirements.
  • Full access to the EMGS website.
  • Discounts to Society shows.
  • Yearly AGM and Members day where you can meet the Board and other members. There is also a modelling competition at the event.

During your membership you will get:

• Entrance to the expoEM events at reduced cost.
  • A mailing four times a year containing a Newsletter as well as updates and additions to the Society Manual. These include technical data, and hints and tips needed for construction and conversion. These are provided as loose-leaf manual sheets.
  • Why not joint one of our many Area Groups and meet and work with friendly like-minded modellers.?"

Stop crying and join!

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 4

As far as I'm concerned I got my money back the day I joined EMGS.

Cheap...

code 75 bullhead

plywood sleepers

copperclad

+

point blade filing jig

v- filing jig

common crossing assembly jig

etc etc

Don't see what the problem is with parting with £20 to cut out all that hassle of building pointwork and plain track.

"How you can benefit by joining the EMGS On joining the Society a member receives:

• The current newsletter and, whilst stocks last, all the back issues for the year.
  • A CD with the Society Manual sheets (400+ pages) plus a set of colour coded wiring diagrams.
  • Society Manual sheets also available on-line along with current and backdate Newsletters.
  • A set of track and turnout drawings which form the basis of construction (EM or P4)
  • The current price list and order form for goods available through the Trade Officer.
  • On-line ordering from the EMGS Stores for your EM and P4 modelling requirements.
  • Full access to the EMGS website.
  • Discounts to Society shows.
  • Yearly AGM and Members day where you can meet the Board and other members. There is also a modelling competition at the event.
During your membership you will get:

• Entrance to the expoEM events at reduced cost.
  • A mailing four times a year containing a Newsletter as well as updates and additions to the Society Manual. These include technical data, and hints and tips needed for construction and conversion. These are provided as loose-leaf manual sheets.
  • Why not joint one of our many Area Groups and meet and work with friendly like-minded modellers.?"

Stop crying and join!

And so say all of us!

Well said Tim.

Frank

• Like 1

Read this f'ing post!

If you're not a member there is a multitude of methods that have been suggested up thread into how you will be able to obtain this track once it is available.

If you are a member and don't like the way things are being done, you could always lobby support and then get yourself along to the December AGM and make your suggestions known. Then get your proposals added to the agenda with a view to taking a vote and having your proposals adopted/accepted.

First though, I'd do a google for "Charities Commission" and/or "Companies Limited by Guarantee with Charitable Status". You will find multiple reasons why items commissioned to be sold by the society can only be sold to members. Then have a read through the EMGS Memorandum and Articles of Association where you will probably find more reasons why the society is limited to selling to members only.

Can't be bothered with that? Thought so.

One criticism often aimed at Societies and Community Groups (I'm talking in general here and not just Model Railway Clubs/Societies) is that of the Committees sitting on society(members) money. In this instance it looks as though the committee of the EMGS has take the bull by the horns, made an executive decision to invest members monies in developing, commissioning and having manufactured, something that EMGS members can really benefit from. I for one, hopes their venture pays off.

So rather than moan and complain that the ready to plonk EM track/turnouts will only be available to EMGS members, join the bl**dy society and take advantage of the benefits.

P

Edited for crap spelling.

Where did I moan/complain? Nowhere? "Thought so"

As has been explained, due to the way the EMGS is set up we are only allowed to sell to members/day members and this won't be changing.

Thank you for your reply. Good to see some people don't whinge.

Edited by faa77

I believe that the EMGS Constitution and/or legal status doesn't allow them to sell to non members. So there is little point in debating it further at this time.

Edited to add that the EMGS Trade Officer has officially clarified that above!

Thanks for your reply. For other people's sake I hope it's more legal status, than constitution.

Edited by faa77

Nah!

Never surprised that someone has to directed through the forest to see the log pile.

Never surprised at adults with poor verbal reasoning skills who scream like a kid.

I simply stated restricting (for whatever reason) sales hinders a product's success, compared with unrestricted sales.

Want to refute that?

Edited by faa77

• RMweb Gold

I simply stated restricting (for whatever reason) sales hinders a product's success, compared with unrestricted sales.

But it's not a "product" in that sense to be sold. It already belongs to the EMGS members, having been purchased from Peco with their money.

You are arguing about how the members should distribute their own property among themselves, which is nobody's business but theirs.

Martin.

• Like 3

The non member sales thing is the same as why you have to be a member (or signed in by one) to have a pint in a Working Mens Club/Social Club/ Legion etc......

Its a bit late now, but I suppose this thread may have been better placed in "smaller suppliers" to distract from the manufacturer and emphasise the provider of this fine new product :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My head is spinning.

It is what it is.

Live with it.

Lock the thread.

DO NOT LOCK THE THREAD.

If you have a problem with it -- don't read it.

I have posted in it, and I may at some stage want to come back and make corrections. Likewise others. It will be indexed on Google for 100 years and being able to correct mistakes is important. There are far too many locked threads on RMweb. If there is something wrong with them they should be deleted, not locked in place.

Martin.

So as someone who is trying to get back to layout building

As rtr locos and rolling stock has clearly moved on thoughts turned to track

BR blue period so I can be flexible as to BH or FB

Code 100 OO is what I have , but small enough to not be an overriding influence

Code 75 was an option

A P4 kit has been constructed as one option but I'm not sure my skill level is good enough for a complete build

Decision decisions well until this thread

This release has probably made my mind up Just need to see it in the flesh

When I start building this is now the likely option and a sample pack with membership would be a great option

Membership . Sounds like a good investment

Might have to consign some of my Lima stuff to the museum though

And just like to say to the EMGS thank you!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you have a problem with it -- don't read it.

I don't have a problem with it, other than it's like being on the magic roundabout, that's a ridiculous statement to make, if I don't read it how do I know it doesn't contain any useful information to me as an EM gauge modeller?

Nothing more can be usefully contributed to the main thrust of the thread, which was, if we all cast our minds back, a simple straightforward announcement of a trackwork system to be sold by a society. That has been admirably achieved in spades.

Instead of all the guff being repeated ad infinitum, causing EMGS officials to keep re-stating the bleedin' obvious, the thread has served it's purpose.  Any useful bits of information , such as your contributions, are lost in a morass of dogs doo dah, and could do with being elsewhere.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

I don't have a problem with it, other than it's like being on the magic roundabout, that's a ridiculous statement to make, if I don't read it how do I know it doesn't contain any useful information to me as an EM gauge modeller?

Nothing more can be usefully contributed to the main thrust of the thread, which was, if we all cast our minds back, a simple straightforward announcement of a trackwork system to be sold by a society. That has been admirably achieved in spades.

Instead of all the guff being repeated ad infinitum, causing EMGS officials to keep re-stating the bleedin' obvious, the thread has served it's purpose.  Any useful bits of information , such as your contributions, are lost in a morass of dogs doo dah, and could do with being elsewhere.

Mike.

It’s a forum. Some of us are idiots. Deal with it.
  • Like 2

Mike.

“ one “ may call for a thread to be locked , but that is just one voice , I respect your right to express your opinion , but I do tbagree with it

Come on guys, we are starting to bicker amongst ourselves now. The announcement was made, everyone cheered, non members complained and were informed a number of times of the why's and wherefore's and the non members still complained so let's all be patient and see what the stuff is like.

Surely everyone knows an EMGS member who might take pity and pass the track onto the poor soul who just doesn't want to join a very useful society.

I just can't understand why people who work or want to work in EM not joining the society that caters for EM gauge, it beggars belief.

There is a famous Groucho Marx saying - 'I wouldn't want to join a club that would have me as a member', apt or not, you decide.

Dave.

• Like 3