EMGS commissions Peco for RTR EM Gauge bullhead track/turnouts

CloggyDog

How?

Mike.

Don't read it.

It really is that simple to ignore things on this internet - Ignore and sleep easy.

Personally, I think because this is a "forum", its like a good place to read the ideas put forward by other people, some of whom may not always share my views.....Thats almost like what a forum is for :O

Come on guys, we are starting to bicker amongst ourselves now. The announcement was made, everyone cheered, non members complained and were informed a number of times of the why's and wherefore's and the non members still complained so let's all be patient and see what the stuff is like.

I agree, especially the part about the internal bickering.

If I'm correct (and I'm not about to go back and start re-reading all the posts in reverse order to make a technical point) but the last time a forum member asked if the EMGS could / should sell to non-members was many many posts ago, but there seems to be a lot of posts since reiterating the same point that it cannot be done.

That point was made, and made well.

In fact, to be fair to non-EMGS members, I believe it is only right to ask a question, and then to challenge it, to make sure they are not just been made up. We've all come across posts where 'facts' are anything but. I've always told my children to ask questions, and if you don't get the answer you want, or don't understand the answer, ask again, and keep asking until you are satisfied. And if I'm being benevolent, then I'd suggest that this may have been what was happening in earlier posts: questions by non-members who don't know the rules of the society. And now the point has been clearly made. So can I ask that we please stop repeating all the admonishments. It was said very clearly and forcefully in #237, I don't think all the subsequent restatements add to this post.

And BTY, I'm not an EMGS member.

I too wanted to know if non-members could buy it.

I was curious as to why not.

I thought it might have been a PECO decision, but the logic didn't stand up.

So I thank those who asked the questions I never asked.

And now I know more

And maybe, just maybe, I'll join the EMGS.

Considering I don't have any tracking laying experience, this EM thing might be a step too far. But then again, joining might be just the right thing to do.

So as someone who is trying to get back to layout building

As rtr locos and rolling stock has clearly moved on thoughts turned to track

BR blue period so I can be flexible as to BH or FB

Code 100 OO is what I have , but small enough to not be an overriding influence

Code 75 was an option

A P4 kit has been constructed as one option but I'm not sure my skill level is good enough for a complete build

Decision decisions well until this thread

This release has probably made my mind up Just need to see it in the flesh

When I start building this is now the likely option and a sample pack with membership would be a great option

Membership . Sounds like a good investment

Might have to consign some of my Lima stuff to the museum though

And just like to say to the EMGS thank you!!

Apart from the P4 kit, I can relate to everything you have posted.

I am in almost exactly the same position. Interesting decisions ahead. I wish you luck, hope you keep us posted on which way you go.

Edited by Damo666
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree, especially the part about the internal bickering.

If I'm correct (and I'm not about to go back and start re-reading all the posts in reverse order to make a technical point) but the last time a forum member asked if the EMGS could / should sell to non-members was many many posts ago, but there seems to be a lot of posts since reiterating the same point that it cannot be done.

That point was made, and made well.

In fact, to be fair to non-EMGS members, I believe it is only right to ask a question, and then to challenge it, to make sure they are not just been made up. We've all come across posts where 'facts' are anything but. I've always told my children to ask questions, and if you don't get the answer you want, or don't understand the answer, ask again, and keep asking until you are satisfied. And if I'm being benevolent, then I'd suggest that this may have been what was happening in earlier posts: questions by non-members who don't know the rules of the society. And now the point has been clearly made. So can I ask that we please stop repeating all the admonishments. It was said very clearly and forcefully in #237, I don't think all the subsequent restatements add to this post.

And BTY, I'm not an EMGS member.

I too wanted to know if non-members could buy it.

I was curious as to why not.

I thought it might have been a PECO decision, but the logic didn't stand up.

So I thank those who asked the questions I never asked.

And now I know more

And maybe, just maybe, I'll join the EMGS.

Considering I don't have any tracking laying experience, this EM thing might be a step too far. But then again, joining might be just the right thing to do.

Morning,

The problem was/is the reason why was given by a member of the Board, me as the Trade officer at quite an early point in this thread but people still kept asking despite being given the answer and it was explained by not only me several times but other members of the society and even non members of the society that’s why people got arsey with it.

As an FYI, The last time it was asked was about 20 odd posts ago which isn’t that long ago.

People have developed a habit of not even reading the whole thread to get all the facts before commenting on things.

It’s not difficult just bookmark the page you are reading and then you can go back later on and keep reading.

Why you think that the societiy would make something like this up is beyond me.

Edited by Mr.S.corn78

Dear EMGS,

As a sufferer of '00 syndrome,' I am interested in becoming a member of the EMGS. 

Seemingly PayPal is an option to pay for membership, but this is only open to Overseas members.  I don't have a cheque book, Postal Orders are a faff and I don't like Direct Debits because they're cumbersome to keep track of.  

Ho hum, do I wait for Warley or go the ruddy DD route....  

Yours,

Curmudgeonly of Litchurch

EDIT: Application form with DD mandate in the post.  EnlightenMent awaits.  :angel:

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 1

Dear EMGS,

As a sufferer of '00 syndrome,' I am interested in becoming a member of the EMGS. 

Seemingly PayPal is an option to pay for membership, but this is only open to Overseas members.  I don't have a cheque book, Postal Orders are a faff and I don't like Direct Debits because they're cumbersome to keep track of.  

Yours,

Chard

I would suggest visiting our Expo events/workshops where a whole new world will open up for you.....

EDIT: Application form with DD mandate in the post.  EnlightenMent awaits.  :angel:

Chard

I would suggest visiting our Expo events/workshops where a whole new world will open up for you.....

Confusion reigns in the select quote function, but that's not going to obscure the fact that I intend to fully mine EMGS for data as well as its exponents on here...

Which rather neatly brings me to my next question:

Why is there no EM Gauge zone on RMweb?

• RMweb Gold

Confusion reigns in the select quote function, but that's not going to obscure the fact that I intend to fully mine EMGS for data as well as its exponents on here...

Which rather neatly brings me to my next question:

Your guess is as good as mine. I know there was mention about it a while ago.

I will approach Mr York and will see what can be done.

Thanks

Simon

• Like 4

Your guess is as good as mine. I know there was mention about it a while ago.

I will approach Mr York and will see what can be done.

Thanks

Simon

Sounds like a plan there - I'd be extremely interested to calculate the time and cost associated with re-gauging various categories of stock, so I can form a view of the commitment it entails.  

For example (and I stress I'm not seeking advice just now) :

1. Heljan Bo-Bo diesels
  2. Hornby Railroad Mk1
  3. Bachmann Mk1
  4. Oxford Carflat
  5. Bachmann 12T van
  6. Hornby Railroad Class 101

I think you get the picture.  Real data room stuff at this granular level would be a huge help.  If the received wisdom suggests that I have to invest 50% the purchase price again to rewheel my Death Steam fleet, for example, then that's a significant game-changer...

I think I'd stick with green/blue diesels....apart from the 08 they are all relatively easy to swap wheels or regauge, depending on the make/ model.

A lot cheaper to than steam, if cost is a factor.

Ultrascale even do ready quarterd drop ins now for anything g with cranks.....but at a price. (£77 for an 08).

The biggest drawback at the mo is the lead in time.

The easiest wheels I did were the muffed plastic ones with the wheels pulled out and glued then dropped back in.

A truck tuner is a big help.

If you're looking at replacement with something like Kean/Maygibs etc then this cost has to be factored in, along with axle bearings and the time to accurately fir them.

I think I'd stick with green/blue diesels....apart from the 08 they are all relatively easy to swap wheels or regauge, depending on the make/ model.

A lot cheaper to than steam, if cost is a factor.

Ultrascale even do ready quarterd drop ins now for anything g with cranks.....but at a price. (£77 for an 08).

The biggest drawback at the mo is the lead in time.

The easiest wheels I did were the muffed plastic ones with the wheels pulled out and glued then dropped back in.

A truck tuner is a big help.

If you're looking at replacement with something like Kean/Maygibs etc then this cost has to be factored in, along with axle bearings and the time to accurately fir them.

Crikey, that would appear to circumscribe at a stroke my ambitions to turn the clock back a year from June '68....

I've amassed quite a few weathered (c/o Dave Smith) Brits and Black 5s, seems a shame not to run them....

• RMweb Premium

Dear EMGS,

Seemingly PayPal is an option to pay for membership, but this is only open to Overseas members. I don't have a cheque book, Postal Orders are a faff and I don't like Direct Debits because they're cumbersome to keep track of.

Yours,

EDIT: Application form with DD mandate in the post. EnlightenMent awaits. :angel:

I know, I'm sure I mentioned it to mem sec about using PayPal (and the South Western Circle too).

It would instantly generate more members, certainly amongst the 'impulse buy' brigade (of which I count myself). The trade function of the society takes PayPal, it's crazy membership doesn't too.

Commit yourself ;)

Cheers

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Gold

I know, I'm sure I mentioned it to mem sec about using PayPal (and the South Western Circle too).

It would instantly generate more members, certainly amongst the 'impulse buy' brigade (of which I count myself). The trade function of the society takes PayPal, it's crazy membership doesn't too.

Commit yourself ( ;) )

Cheers

Hi,

I think the problem is as a business your only meant to have one PayPal account and for the EMGS that accounts is on the trade side of the things and it would cause no end of confusion with the banking and accounts if the membership side of things started using the same PayPal account.

I may be totally wrong with the above but that’s how I read it.

Hi,

I think the problem is as a business your only meant to have one PayPal account and for the EMGS that accounts is on the trade side of the things and it would cause no end of confusion with the banking and accounts if the membership side of things started using the same PayPal account.

I may be totally wrong with the above but that’s how I read it.

certainly I believe a business should have a customer account as well as its own account to keep customer funds separate but not sure about only being allowed one paypal account.

• Like 1

certainly I believe a business should have a customer account as well as its own account to keep customer funds separate but not sure about only being allowed one paypal account.

This looks like a PayPal thing; https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/can-i-have-multiple-paypal-accounts-faq762

The EMGS would likely be prevented opening a consumer account, so one it is.

Surely most topics being modelled in EM are covered in other forum topics....but there certainly are problems associated with converting OO RTR or kits to wider gauges. If a dedicated zone was added it could cover EM, P4 and 5'3" etc.

• RMweb Gold

This looks like a PayPal thing; https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/can-i-have-multiple-paypal-accounts-faq762

The EMGS would likely be prevented opening a consumer account, so one it is.

Plus you have to have a name to it, so if we had a consumer account and I know from experience trying to change that name is practically impossible so it will always be in the name of the person who set it up.

Bit of a problem if that person stands down from the position.

Surely most topics being modelled in EM are covered in other forum topics....but there certainly are problems associated with converting OO RTR or kits to wider gauges. If a dedicated zone was added it could cover EM, P4 and 5'3" etc.

Unless I've missed a vast chunk of the site, it seems there aren't any regions of the forum dedicated to any of the 4mm variations. The scale specific bit has T-gauge, 2mm finescale, 3mm, S-Scale, and 7mm and above, but appears to be missing 4mm (and Z-scale, standard N - any of them! - and H0 come to that!) 

Edited by sharris

Why you think that the societiy would make something like this up is beyond me.

Hi Simon,

In fairness, I never said that the society made this up.

Notwithstanding, I hope to meet you soon as a new EMGS member.

Kind regards