EMGS commissions Peco for RTR EM Gauge bullhead track/turnouts

CloggyDog

• RMweb Gold

Confusion reigns in the select quote function, but that's not going to obscure the fact that I intend to fully mine EMGS for data as well as its exponents on here...

Which rather neatly brings me to my next question:

Why is there no EM Gauge zone on RMweb?

Your guess is as good as mine. I know there was mention about it a while ago.

I will approach Mr York and will see what can be done.

Thanks

Simon

Because it would be another nail in the EMGS forum coffin?

Mike.

Because it would be another nail in the EMGS forum coffin?

Mike.

It was discussed as a means of supporting the society and providing more exposure, something which they did not do as well as the Scalefour Soc.

Why do we get painted as the villains?

• RMweb Gold

It was discussed as a means of supporting the society and providing more exposure, something which they did not do as well as the Scalefour Soc.

Why do we get painted as the villains?

Only being devils advocate Andy, fully agree with your comments, although why that should be is open to conjecture. For whatever reason, the EMGS website is somewhat moribund, maybe some form of joint venture might help, if that's legal/possible/wanted/needed.

Mike.

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan there - I'd be extremely interested to calculate the time and cost associated with re-gauging various categories of stock, so I can form a view of the commitment it entails.

For example (and I stress I'm not seeking advice just now) :

• Heljan Bo-Bo diesels
  • Hornby Railroad Mk1
  • Bachmann Mk1
  • Oxford Carflat
  • Bachmann 12T van
  • Hornby Railroad Class 101
I think you get the picture. Real data room stuff at this granular level would be a huge help. If the received wisdom suggests that I have to invest 50% the purchase price again to rewheel my Death Steam fleet, for example, then that's a significant game-changer...
Heljan Bo bo diesels,easyUse Maygib all steel coach wheels

Hornby/Bachmann Mk1's are quickly converted but you may need to remove some plastic from the bogie, but in practice I have not had to do that.

Oxford car flat I have not done but effectively as a coach.

Bachmann 12T wagons need the W iron on the floor removed flush to the back of the plastic, drilled out slightly, and trimmed to fit

Railroad 101, I have not done but check the really good Em gauge 70's website, as I believe it is in their archives.

Edited by MartinWales

• RMweb Premium

Railroad 101, I have not done but check the really good Em gauge 70's website, as I believe it is in their archives.

Assuming it uses the same bogie as the Limby 121, stepped axles from EMGS stores allow standard 12mm DMU disc wheels to be fitted. Think (from memory) the axle is 2.5mm diameter to suit the drive gears, turned down to 2mm at either end to suit "normal" wheels.

• RMweb Gold

Heljan Bo bo diesels,easyUse Maygib all steel coach wheels

Hornby/Bachmann Mk1's are quickly converted but you may need to remove some plastic from the bogie, but in practice I have not had to do that.

Oxford car flat I have not done but effectively as a coach.

Bachmann 12T wagons need the W iron on the floor removed flush to the back of the plastic, drilled out slightly, and trimmed to fit

The fun starts on the Oxford carflat if you want to put 14mm wheels in!

Mike.

Hi Simon,

In fairness, I never said that the society made this up.

Notwithstanding, I hope to meet you soon as a new EMGS member.

Kind regards

Damo

I think your reasons for asking a question were valid, I am an EmGS member and understood from the start that the items were to members only, the first reply of why was slightly unclear to the exact reasons, still in the end a clear answer was given, which was for legal reasons. Cannot see anyone having an issue with this

One simple solution is find a friend who is a member

Plus you have to have a name to it, so if we had a consumer account and I know from experience trying to change that name is practically impossible so it will always be in the name of the person who set it up.

Bit of a problem if that person stands down from the position.

The person who set it up closes the account and you set a new account up with the new person.

Damo

I think your reasons for asking a question were valid, I am an EmGS member and understood from the start that the items were to members only, the first reply of why was slightly unclear to the exact reasons, still in the end a clear answer was given, which was for legal reasons. Cannot see anyone having an issue with this

Or attend one of the Expo events, the admission to which gives you day membership and full access to the stores.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Or attend one of the Expo events, the admission to which gives you day membership and full access to the stores.

The only problem I can see with that is the skewed stock levels Simon will need to carry to service customers, an articulated 40 footer for the track and the rest of the stuff in the glovebox of his car!

Mike.

The only problem I can see with that is the skewed stock levels Simon will need to carry to service customers, an articulated 40 footer for the track and the rest of the stuff in the glovebox of his car!

Mike.

How much track do you want Simon to take? 

15000 lengths of Peco Streamline weigh about 1 tonne, or around the payload capacity of a transit van - of course the EM track may well be a different weight, so there will be a bit of a difference. 

Edited by sharris

• RMweb Gold

How much track do you want Simon to take? 

15000 lengths of Peco Streamline weigh about 1 tonne, or around the payload capacity of a transit van - of course the EM track may well be a different weight, so there will be a bit of a difference. 

I personally don't want Simon to take any, I've managed for 40 years or more without society RTP track, and doubt I shall live long enough to need any more, although would like to be proved wrong!

Mike.

Damo

Or, better still, join the Society.

Or, better still, join the Society.

Good advice.

Which is exactly what I said I'll be doing in post #300 (once I replenish the funds following the Hattons Sale, which as a result I now have more stock to convert if I decide to go EM).

I personally don't want Simon to take any, I've managed for 40 years or more without society RTP track, and doubt I shall live long enough to need any more, although would like to be proved wrong!

Mike.

Only 40 Mike?   :beee:

Dave,

Who is surely much younger than yourself.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Why choose a B6 turnout?  An A6 is shorter and has a larger turnout radius.

B switches should not be paired with anything less than a 1 in 8 unless there is a very good reason.

From a retired permanent way design engineer.

"A" switches are not normally used in running lines, they were designed for yards and sidings. The 1:24 switch deflection requires very low speeds.

A B-6 is not a common prototype size, but it is the shortest turnout which can be used in running lines and look the part. The larger radius of the "B" switch provides a useful transition into the turnout curve for faster running. A B-6 is a good general-purpose size for models in a limited space.

If you were creating a range of sizes, you might choose an "A" and a "C". One for sidings and yards, one for running line crossovers and junctions. But if you can have only one, a "B" is a good compromise size.

See also: http://templot.com/companion/a_or_b_switch.php

Martin.

• Like 2

"A" switches are not normally used in running lines, they were designed for yards and sidings. The 1:24 switch deflection requires very low speeds.

A B-6 is not a common prototype size, but it is the shortest turnout which can be used in running lines and look the part. The larger radius of the "B" switch provides a useful transition into the turnout curve for faster running. A B-6 is a good general-purpose size for models in a limited space.

If you were creating a range of sizes, you might choose an "A" and a "C". One for sidings and yards, one for running line crossovers and junctions. But if you can have only one, a "B" is a good compromise size.

See also: http://templot.com/companion/a_or_b_switch.php

Martin.

When you do the sums there probably isn't a 4mm scale model railway in existence fit for more than 20 mph on the main running lines.

A B6 has a turnout radius of 312 feet and an A6 has a turnout radius of 326 feet.  Not a significant improvement but the A6 is over 6 feet shorter.

So in simple terms with a slightly larger radius an A6 would be about an inch shorter.  Also the reversal in a crossover configuration is slightly better.

• RMweb Gold

A B6 has a turnout radius of 312 feet and an A6 has a turnout radius of 326 feet.  Not a significant improvement but the A6 is over 6 feet shorter.

So in simple terms with a slightly larger radius an A6 would be about an inch shorter.  Also the reversal in a crossover configuration is slightly better.

But it doesn't "look" right in a running line. Building crossovers and junctions using "A" switches makes them look like toy track, or as if you are running express passenger trains through the goods yard.

If you want the shortest turnouts with the easiest radii, it would be better to abandon the REA geometry and use old-style straight switches. A 12ft straight switch has the same deflection angle as a "B" switch, but creates shorter sub-natural turnouts with easier radii. Model switches using the old straight-switch geometry could be built as flexible switches instead of loose-heel. The old pre-grouping designs offered greater design flexibility than REA, as is evident from the complex pointwork seen in old photos. The REA designs were introduced after grouping to unify the many different pre-group designs in use, but in the process a lot of the design flexibility was lost.

cheers,

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

Also, the EMGS track plans have been a pair of B6 turnouts, a B6 double slip anda B5 crossing for as long as I can remember; probably since I first joined in 1976. I think my layout looks good with them, acceptable end throw with no buffer locking, short enough to fit quite complex S&C in a smallish place, and work with prototype adjacent track spacings.

• Like 1

Not meaning to offend anyone, but the number of people who can look at a turnout and tell if it has an A, B or C switch is very small

In defence of the society, what ever size they chose would be wrong for some

Also most modellers chose the size they use by what is available, those that don't tend to build their own

• Like 3

Many of the points on my railway Wharfeside use the EMGS templates and are B6 or derivatives i.e. curved, 3 way etc and I don't get bufferlock or problems with Mk1 coaches so to me they are okay for a model railway.

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 3