EMGS commissions Peco for RTR EM Gauge bullhead track/turnouts

CloggyDog

• RMweb Gold

How about a sales stand at a few more regional Model Railway shows as part of the society stand. Hint hint Bristol(Thornbury just down the road) in May Please.................................................

Keith

HI Keith,

If you would like to cover the following costs:

528 mile worth of fuel

Hotel accomadation for 3 nights

Stand rent,

There are another couple of costs to be factored in but I can't remember off the top of my head what they are at the moment.

You would also need to leaise with the show organiser to turn it in to an EMGS event.

Oh and persuade my very tollernat other half that being away for home for 4 weekends in May is a good idea........

Then I would quite happly bring the trade stand down to the event.

The problem is logistices, the stores is based in Darlington and going to more events than the 4 that the stand visits, can be a problem with my own exhibiton diary. At the moment I'm exhibiting/demoing/EMGSing at an average of 2 shows per month with October and May being almost every weekend.

We, as has been mentioned a few times limited by the sales rules that we have to abide by other wise we have 4 times the amount of paper work and the cost of everytthing will also have to go up to cover costs.

If we could also change the record about selling else where, the track is an EMGS product and won't be in shops or other retail outlets unless they buy it from us and resell it. It wont be made avaible by Peco to any of thier retailers and if they did enquire about it I would suspect they would be told to contact the society.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Do we have a likely date for availability?

Hi,

It is hoped to have the fexi track for sale at the AGM/modellers day on the 8th with the tracking being in the trade stores very soon after once ive worked out how to post it with out members having to pay an arm or a leg on postage and to make it bomb proof to stop the post person damaging it. It has been known for them to fold the boxes in two to get them through a letter box.

The points are due spring 2019 as we asked Peco desgin guy very politly to change a couple of bits like removing the spring thus being able to make the tie bar thinner and something else which I have forgotten.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

It is hoped to have the fexi track for sale at the AGM/modellers day on the 8th with the tracking being in the trade stores very soon after once ive worked out how to post it with out members having to pay an arm or a leg on postage and to make it bomb proof to stop the post person damaging it. It has been known for them to fold the boxes in two to get them through a letter box.

The points are due spring 2019 as we asked Peco desgin guy very politly to change a couple of bits like removing the spring thus being able to make the tie bar thinner and something else which I have forgotten.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

I don't think that it makes much sense to send out track in packages of less than 10 pieces. It will be a strong postman who can bend that.

I don't think that it makes much sense to send out track in packages of less than 10 pieces. It will be a strong postman who can bend that.

C&L used to include a strip of wood in the package to add some extra strength to the track they sent out by post. Cheap and worked well :)

• RMweb Gold

You'd be surprised what they can destroy if they really set their mind to it. 

An ex-postie told me that they used to regard the phrase "do not bend" as a challenge rather than an instruction.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Hope this helps.

Thanks

1 - You could send them out in a tube, but you'd have to cut 14mm off each rail.

2 - Will the design change mean the points are no longer self latching?

EM Gauge Society ‘ready-to-lay’ trackwork from Peco – an update

At the recent Warley National Model Railway exhibition, the EM Gauge Society had on display, 3D printed samples of their forthcoming release of ready to lay EM track being commissioned from Peco and it would be fair to say this announcement has caused a lot of positive interest.

The new bullhead code 75 wooden sleepered track comprises plain ‘flexi-track’ plus matching left and right hand two-way B6 geometry ‘Electrofrog’ points. Plain track will be in 914mm lengths, with the sleeper base split into scale 60' panels and the spacing reduced on sleepers positioned at the ends of adjoining panels, as per prototype practice.

The turnouts will feature solid metal blades and parallel sleepering (perpendicular to the straight route) – with sleeper length and spacing as per the prototype. The new bullhead plain track in EM (example of the finished product).

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

View of the bullhead flexi-track to EM gauge.

Capture3.JPG

Right hand B6 turnout – 3D printed sample. N.B the tie bar arrangement as illustrated above is not the final version.

Capture4.JPG

Left hand B6 turnout – 3D printed sample.

Capture5.JPG

Detail view of RH B6 turnout common crossing (3D printed sample).

Capture6.JPG

Detail view of RH B6 turnout switch arrangement (3D printed sample).

N.B the tie bar arrangement as shown is not the final version.

The plain track should be available by December 2018 and will cost £5 per yard length, while the B6 turnouts are expected to be available by the spring of 2019 and will be priced at £27 each.

Orders from EMGS members for collection at EMGS events can be taken now.

The products will also be on sale to everyone attending expoEM Spring, expoEM Autumn and at other EMGS events at which the Sales Stand is in attendance.

Further details about the EM Gauge Society, including membership benefits and how to join can be found on the website: www.emgs.org.

• Like 8

I mus say to my eye having the timbers square on to the straight road looks far better than the Peco 00 bullhead product, there is also a good representation of the block chairs, two areas (which may be down to it being a prototype) is the lack of a slab and bracket chair at the tip of the vee and the infill between the wing rails in the common crossing. 

Looks to be a first class product at an affordable price

• RMweb Gold

Yes that would be ideal but for those members who are building a small shunting type layout, they may only need 3 pieces so it would be unfair to say they have to have a certain number.

I know my idea for a quick layout is only using 2 and 1/2 bits and a couple of points.

It is being looked at and im sure we will sort something out.

• RMweb Gold

I mus say to my eye having the timbers square on to the straight road looks far better than the Peco 00 bullhead product, there is also a good representation of the block chairs, two areas (which may be down to it being a prototype) is the lack of a slab and bracket chair at the tip of the vee and the infill between the wing rails in the common crossing. 

Looks to be a first class product at an affordable price

I will pass your comments on to the designers but I think it may be down to the production process and there has to be a line drawn somewhere or we may as well just stop the project and go back to building points.

• RMweb Gold

1 - You could send them out in a tube, but you'd have to cut 14mm off each rail.

2 - Will the design change mean the points are no longer self latching?

Hi,

1) The tubes may cost more than a straight as they are classed as a funny shape, plus as you say there would be a small extra bit of rail with every order.

2) Yes I think it will remove the self latching, its was discussed and as the frog will need the polarity changing we suspect that most will be either point motor or wire in tube with a switch.

I will pass your comments on to the designers but I think it may be down to the production process and there has to be a line drawn somewhere or we may as well just stop the project and go back to building points.

I accept there must be compromises and it may be down to the manufacturing process, as for the slab and bracket chair in the A timber position, a large proportion of track builders ignore this anyway and I assume there may well be prototypical instances of similar style of chairing 

• RMweb Premium

A 90cm long tube (up to 7cm diameter) counts as a medium parcel. You should be able to get quite a few lengths in that. Anything longer would be a large parcel. A courier would probably be a cheaper option than Royal Mail.

It occurs to me that 3' doesn't quite work out to four 60' panels - that would need an extra 46mm.

The length of 4 x 60' lengths equates to 960mm at 1:76.2 scale, as sharris states.

But who will notice?  :jester:    

I shall be buying some.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

The length of 4 x 60' lengths equates to 960mm at 1:76.2 scale, as sharris states.

But who will notice?  :jester:    

I shall be buying some.

I must confess, this latest twist of the plot has left me very confused as to what divergence from prototype fidelity has been perpetrated, and by what means anyone could possibly know????

It isn't usually the postman who bends long items sent by Royal Mail, it is often the sorting conveyors they use in the regional mail centres. Long items get jammed up at corners and junctions resulting in getting bent ( by machine or human force ). Tubes are stronger than long square section ( Peco ) boxes.

Does anybody think, like me, that putting fake wood grain on 1:76 scale timbers is a waste of time ?

Rob

just a thought as postage is still being thought through.........instead of 914mm lengths with spacing for 60' panels.  why not make the track in shorter panels or is 914mm some optimum Peco figure for efficient production runs?

over 1 metre bumps up the costs for postage so I was thinking how about scale 60' panels or 2 panels together?   I can see the benefit of a box of 25 lengths of 914mm certainly but also I wonder if modellers like the idea of scale 60ft and individual lengths if 914mm will not allow you to get 4 panels from it and could lead to lots of bits of waste.

Postage for short lengths might be another option but I like the idea of joints every 60ft to mimic the sight and sound of the real thing.

• RMweb Gold

just a thought as postage is still being thought through.........instead of 914mm lengths with spacing for 60' panels.  why not make the track in shorter panels or is 914mm some optimum Peco figure for efficient production runs?

over 1 metre bumps up the costs for postage so I was thinking how about scale 60' panels or 2 panels together?   I can see the benefit of a box of 25 lengths of 914mm certainly but also I wonder if modellers like the idea of scale 60ft and individual lengths if 914mm will not allow you to get 4 panels from it and could lead to lots of bits of waste.

Postage for short lengths might be another option but I like the idea of joints every 60ft to mimic the sight and sound of the real thing.

Hi,

the 914 is the standard length of rail Peco use to sell their flexi track in yards lengths and this is what the machines are set to produce.

Lots of modellers who looked at the track at Warley and asked questions, liked the idea of 60ft panels as its not been done before in an off the shelf form. I can't remember anybody doing it.

The lengths come with 3 and a half panels so there is a bit of rail left over at the ends. Yes not idela but we are currently discussing it and may have a plan but you will have to wait on that one.

To have the track in shorter lengths would mean one of two things, the price goes up as you need to pay someone to cut the rail in to shorter lengths before the panels are added or some poor mug, ie me, will have to sit there cutting them before posting them out to customers.

• Like 1

Glad you went with proper spacing rather than my speculation of what might have been a commercial compromised shrinkage to fit 4 in.

Now I can rest assured that sleepers will match where Templot would put them and I can plan whole numbers of panels between formations within have to add in fiddly extra filler bits.