EMGS commissions Peco for RTR EM Gauge bullhead track/turnouts

CloggyDog

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Thanks for the photos... those turnouts look superb.  

Perhaps I might try a little EM side project at some point...

I am only doing one because of this track, another side project I may have to do normal streamline due to tight curves and too many points.

Luckily no stock commonality between both projects one is 50s steam the other WR changeover with small Prairies and Hydraulics.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The blurb mentions "correct length sleepering", but doesn't say what this is based upon. What actually is this? To be more precise, are the sleepers at the toe end of the turnout 9' or 8'6"?

Cheers

Nigel

As a relative novice I’d say they are an excellent product. My small taster layout is coming along nicely, I may even enter the Chairmans Challenge. By cutting the webbing between sleepers they can be coaxed into a sweeping curve.

Hopefully they have been a commercial success so more sizes are introduced. A single slip would be an enormous boost in my opinion. 

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, NCB said:

The blurb mentions "correct length sleepering", but doesn't say what this is based upon. What actually is this? To be more precise, are the sleepers at the toe end of the turnout 9' or 8'6"?

Hi Nigel,

Some pre-group companies used sleepers (10" wide) in the switch front, but the REA designs and all post-group companies use timbers (12"wide) in the switch front. Usually the end timber at the rail joint has the heavier S1J joint chairs. Templot has an option for the switch front to be sleepered or timbered.

The EMGS say their turnout is a bullhead B-6, which means it is either an REA design dating from the 1925 designs, or a GWR design from 1930. In either case the switch front timbers will be 8ft-6in long (34mm). 

cheers,

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Martin. I know what a B-6 should be; it's more a question of what Peco/EM Society actually produced. But from Chuffer Davies's comment I'll take it that they are 8'6". I did try to measure them from the pic and made them 8.8' but it was a messy method.

Nigel

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

Morning all

Sorry if this has been asked before but has anyone mated these points with SMP Flexi? if so what joiners did you use and how well do the rails match up?

Tia

Dave

Hi Dave,

both use code 75 bullhead rail and so any code 75 fishplate will work.  They have different sleeper thicknesses however and so you will need to pack the SMP track up slightly as you transition onto/off the EMGS point work. The packing will subsequently be hidden by any ballast.  
Regards,

Frank

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi Dave,

both use code 75 bullhead rail and so any code 75 fishplate will work.  They have different sleeper thicknesses however and so you will need to pack the SMP track up slightly as you transition onto/off the EMGS point work. The packing will subsequently be hidden by any ballast.  
Regards,

Frank

Hi Frank , thanks for the info , how much of a difference is there in the sleepers? I don't have any flexi yet but picked up some brand new points in the same village as I live last night , I have looked at other options such as the CL Finescale stuff but being new to EM I don't want to over complicate things too much especially trackwork , fortunately I have a good stash of the Peco bullhead fishplates as it happens

Regards

Dave  

1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

Hi Frank , thanks for the info , how much of a difference is there in the sleepers? I don't have any flexi yet but picked up some brand new points in the same village as I live last night , I have looked at other options such as the CL Finescale stuff but being new to EM I don't want to over complicate things too much especially trackwork , fortunately I have a good stash of the Peco bullhead fishplates as it happens

Regards

Dave  

I'm the opposite to you.  I have access to SMP flexi track but not to any EMGS points as I make my own point work.  I have measured a piece of SMP and the sleepers are approx 0.8mm thick with the rail head being approx 3.1mm from the top of the cork underlay.  Hopefully you can measure your EMGS points to get the equivalent measurements as a comparison.

Frank

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, Chuffer Davies said:

I'm the opposite to you.  I have access to SMP flexi track but not to any EMGS points as I make my own point work.  I have measured a piece of SMP and the sleepers are approx 0.8mm thick with the rail head being approx 3.1mm from the top of the cork underlay.  Hopefully you can measure your EMGS points to get the equivalent measurements as a comparison.

Frank

Hi Frank

Turns out the guy that sold me the points (Hi Dave 🙂) , read this thread and has 5 lengths of the matching Flexi which I am picking up later so it will get me started

Regards

Dave

• Like 2