EMGS commissions Peco for RTR EM Gauge bullhead track/turnouts

CloggyDog

• RMweb Gold

The issue of making the track and turnouts available to modellers overseas is an issue that I personally had not thought about. As a Board we will have to consider this matter and see whether there is a cost-effective method of achieving this. Problems are there to be solved and  not ignored.

I am pleased by the general tenure of comments on this this thread: there will always be detractors, that is a fact of life.

I realise some people are further away from blighty than some, but it can't be beyond the wit of man (modeller) to either fly in to an exhibition, order something mail order or cultivate a friendship any/all of which will alleviate the problem.

Mike.

• Like 1

Thanks Simon for you contribution. Further to my previous post, as Simon has just said we do have to be very careful where we sell this product.

one of the outstanding questions not yet answered is why the non-standard sleeper thickness? I’m guessing there is a logical answer but can’t guess what that is?

Frank

The issue of making the track and turnouts available to modellers overseas is an issue that I personally had not thought about.

Expo EM North, 

Expo EM South, 

Expo EM French Riviera, 

Expo EM ... thinks 'where else do I want to go for a holiday?'   :sungum:

• Like 1

I'm so very annoyed.

4 weeks ago, after 6 years in EM gauge, i decided to go back to oo. I'm finally building a much bigger roundy layout and the thought of the cost and time of building another 32 points, not to mention the perceived difficulty in getting c and l stuff and the ultrascale waiting list, drove me back, reluctantly to 4 foot gauge. Now I've just laid my last oo point, and having spent a few hundred quid on bl**dy track out comes rtr EM.

Typical.

• RMweb Gold

Expo EM North, 

Expo EM South, 

Expo EM French Riviera, 

Expo EM ... thinks 'where else do I want to go for a holiday?'   :sungum:

EXPOEM Costa Blanca would suit me!

I'm so very annoyed.

4 weeks ago, after 6 years in EM gauge, i decided to go back to oo. I'm finally building a much bigger roundy layout and the thought of the cost and time of building another 32 points, not to mention the perceived difficulty in getting c and l stuff and the ultrascale waiting list, drove me back, reluctantly to 4 foot gauge. Now I've just laid my last oo point, and having spent a few hundred quid on bl**dy track out comes rtr EM.

Typical.

Thank you for your assistance in ensuring the track was made.

Which loco's and wagons are you building, they'll be coming out RTR very soon as well!

Mike.

one of the outstanding questions not yet answered is why the non-standard sleeper thickness? I’m guessing there is a logical answer but can’t guess what that is?

Frank

It could be to maintain the integrity and geometry of the points especially when using point motors, and of course the plain track has to match.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Frank

Hi Frank,

Many thanks for the question and I can now explain that the non standard sleeper height is down to having the frog prewired up so you just need to drill a hole and pop the frog wire through the board. A bit like Peco electrofrog points are.

Hope this answers the question

Thanks

Simon

• Like 1

As for where you can by the track and why not in a shop to borden the appeal, Yes that would be great BUT for various reasons which arn't for posting up on a public forum, we are only allowed to sell to Members or Day members or it opens a massive can of worms.

I think very few people, unless they have done it, realise the responsibilities and possible liabilities that come with being a director/board member or/and a trustee of a Company Limited by Guarantee with Charitable Status such as the EMGS .

To sell commercially to non members would probably fall foul of Charity Commision Legislation and require the additional hassle and expense of setting up a seperate Charitable Trading Company.

I can't understand people that think  paying a little over 5p a day society subscription (The CD manual is worth that alone) to gain access to a ready to plonk track system, albeit in its infancy stages is not worth it.

Way to go EMGS.

P (Speaking as a lapsed member)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Frank

Standard? What standard? I've seen two numbers for other track. It could be argued that this track is now the standard.

To be fair......I think one of the biggest stumbling blocks is the wait for Ultrascales.... 10 months now and growing.......

Perhaps there's another niche market there....??

There are other ways to convert stock as you probably well know, also cheaper, and in the long run, far quicker than waiting for Ultrascale to deliver, as good as their products are!

And you will often find myself and others, demonstrating such ways at Expo events if you wish to stop by for a natter.

Edited by pete55

It could be to maintain the integrity and geometry of the points especially when using point motors, and of course the plain track has to match.

Mike

I doubt it as PECO were able to produce their own trackwork with 1.5mm sleepers

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127840-peco-bullhead-points-in-the-flesh/page-26&do=findComment&comment=2971031

Jonathan

As previously alluded to earlier in this thread, if the general public wish to avail themselves of this product, then they can get to an Expo event where admission gives them day membership of the society, thus enabling them to purchase the products described.   As to being available to a wider audience, I think we made need to see how successful and how quick the items sell once available.

Or find a member who will obtain the items for you

I was in my local model railway shop this afternoon they are waiting for the Peco rep (he's due in soon) so they can badger him for access to this product !! 

It will be interesting to see if the introduction of this product will increase participation in the gauge, I doubt if it will have much effect though on new entrants to the gauge

• RMweb Gold

I was in my local model railway shop this afternoon they are waiting for the Peco rep (he's due in soon) so they can badger him for access to this product !!

Hi,

Unfortunately as it’s an EMGS exclusive product he won’t be able to obtain any of it for them.

They will have to approach the EMGS.

Thanks

Simon

• Like 1

I can't understand people that think  paying a little over 5p a day society subscription (The CD manual is worth that alone) to gain access to a ready to plonk track system, albeit in its infancy stages is not worth it.

Way to go EMGS.

P (Speaking as a lapsed member)

Not wanting to put a downer on it it's 2 turnouts both the same crossing angle (which is very welcome indeed),but its not a track system. Having said this its well worth the cost of joining the EM Gauge Society just for the benefits of being a member (Exactoscale parts at a discount) and all the effort of re-wheeling stock just to be closer to the prototype gauge and the benefits from the more stringent standards required

Not wanting to put a downer on it it's 2 turnouts both the same crossing angle (which is very welcome indeed),but its not a track system. Having said this its well worth the cost of joining the EM Gauge Society just for the benefits of being a member (Exactoscale parts at a discount) and all the effort of re-wheeling stock just to be closer to the prototype gauge and the benefits from the more stringent standards required

But it is a start!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

i am amused at all the posts about local model shops. if only . . .

I have to plan my buying when I visit shows - Expo EM North, Manchester and a couple of others. Or buy by post. Of course, I am abroad in wild Wales!

I shall not be buying any of the new product for a while because the line I currently model used FB rail at the period I am modelling - no, not code 100.

But I welcome the development and the local club might just be building its next but one layout in EM as a result of this.

Jonathan

• Like 4

Thank you to the members of the EMGS committee that are commenting on here, it is refreshing. My comment that I wouldn't join the society just to buy the track wasn't ment to be inflammatory. I have a very limited modelling budget, as many do, and lots of potential ideas on how to spend the time/pennies available. My initial understanding was that the track would only be available to members, and that is fair enough, the society have taken a massive, calculated risk, the membership has the right to the rewards. I'm of a younger generation that don't seem, from my experience, as willing to join societies straight up. Yes there are pros and cons, but that's a different debate, not for here.

What I'm trying to say (in a roundabout way) is that the cost of membership, whilst very good value for money, is sometimes hard to justify up front. If I was able to easily pick up a couple of points and some plain lengths then I'd be able to build a little section and see if it worked for me and then probably, if it did, would want to expand and explore, at which point society membership opens a lot more doors. I understand the complexities and time and financial drains on, mostly volunteers, to retail society products, and that sometimes limiting sales to members only, makes those challenges a bit more manageable. So hearing that the products may be available at Shows is very good, as exhibitions, by their nature showcase what can be done. It may actually get me to go to a show too. All sorts of clever balances can be made with pricing the track to members/none members so that after buying a certain amount there's a big enough change in price that membership "pays for itself", but there are many folks clever than I that could articulate and arrange that better that I can!

However you slice it, it is fantastic news that this is being produced, and I wish the EMGS all the best with it and every success, it is certainly something I'd like to buy, my purchasing potential does come down to price, availablity and ease of purchase.

I don’t think the average OO modeler is going to “experiment” with EM , I suspect anyone considering a change of gauge will do some hard thinking beforehand , research what’s involved and inevitably that ends up at the societies door.

If you are seriously suggesting the cost of membership is negative , sufficient to dissuade some , I’d like to see some evidence before I accept that contention.

Dave

• Like 2

It seems that the whole "needs to be in model shops" is a herring of the red type.

SMP flexi track and Marcway points have offered "virtual RTR EM" since I was a child - and I dont think they really affected the uptake of the wider gauge.

The EMGS ( of which I have not been a member this century) are to be applauded for offering their members an easier way to model in that gauge....

Even if its not "bang right" for some o the more fastidsous, it should be spot on for fiddle yards and other hidden tracks

Edited by LBRJ

It seems that the whole "needs to be in model shops" is a herring of the red type.

SMP flexi track and Marcway points have offered "virtual RTR EM" since I was a child - and I dont think they really affected the uptake of the wider gauge.

=================================================================================================================================================

I am lucky as we have a superb model shop close by, in my early years every town had a couple of model shops, I grew up close to some who catered for modellers as well as ready to run items. Places like Puffers, Harrow Model shop, HA Blunt. You could experiment by buying a SMP point kit, of a K's wagon or loco, as well as Airfix, Superquick etc you could buy Coopercraft/ Parkside K&L/C&L. Down stairs in Puffers was a kit builders heaven. A trip to London and visit W&H and Kings Cross Models. These places not only encouraged railway modelling but also model making.

After the demise of these shops I found it hard to even go and buy a sheet of plasticard for 20+ years, now its a 15 min trip to a well stocked shop, whilst it may not make the world revolve it certainly is a boon to railway modelling and makes my modelling life so much easier, plus every now and then an item catches my eye which I think is worth having a try at (impulse buy) similar to the old days and buying a SMP point kit just to have a go

What's this got to do with the thread, in one way its a pity the turnouts are not available to be bought at local shops where the modeller wanting something different may just pick up the iten just to have a go. Though just how many shops would be willing to stock the items may be minimal

Still I accept at the moment this may be a step too far for the society for legal and other contractual reasons, but they are charged with promoting the gauge

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Could this be a game changer for the hobby? RTR models are now at a very high standard and only two things make 4mm scale layout unrealistic, tension lock couplings (easily solved) and the track gauge. Now that correct EM track is becoming available, modellers can easily get good looking track. I wonder how many individuals and clubs will build small EM layouts just to see if they look significantly better than 00?

Well done to the EMGS for their initiative.

• Like 3

Thank you to the members of the EMGS committee that are commenting on here, it is refreshing. My comment that I wouldn't join the society just to buy the track wasn't ment to be inflammatory. I have a very limited modelling budget, as many do, and lots of potential ideas on how to spend the time/pennies available. My initial understanding was that the track would only be available to members, and that is fair enough, the society have taken a massive, calculated risk, the membership has the right to the rewards. I'm of a younger generation that don't seem, from my experience, as willing to join societies straight up. Yes there are pros and cons, but that's a different debate, not for here.

What I'm trying to say (in a roundabout way) is that the cost of membership, whilst very good value for money, is sometimes hard to justify up front. If I was able to easily pick up a couple of points and some plain lengths then I'd be able to build a little section and see if it worked for me and then probably, if it did, would want to expand and explore, at which point society membership opens a lot more doors. I understand the complexities and time and financial drains on, mostly volunteers, to retail society products, and that sometimes limiting sales to members only, makes those challenges a bit more manageable. So hearing that the products may be available at Shows is very good, as exhibitions, by their nature showcase what can be done. It may actually get me to go to a show too. All sorts of clever balances can be made with pricing the track to members/none members so that after buying a certain amount there's a big enough change in price that membership "pays for itself", but there are many folks clever than I that could articulate and arrange that better that I can!

However you slice it, it is fantastic news that this is being produced, and I wish the EMGS all the best with it and every success, it is certainly something I'd like to buy, my purchasing potential does come down to price, availablity and ease of purchase.

Thanks for explaining that PJ. Now I understand where you are coming from. I would say however that membership of a society is not an irrevocable step. After all lets say it's £25 pa which is say six pints of beer or 12 bottles of coke or 4 Burgers. But everybody's situation is different and my example is not a judgement or meant to sound dismissive but simply an illustration.

I don't have much disposal income now and have to take care with recreational expense but I must say that I have found my membership of the Scalefour Society helpful - although I will admit I am tempted to look at the EMGS now.

Best wishes with whatever you decide.