10cm x 17cm Diorama

Hi all,

After a little while stalking the forums and being hugely impressed with the talents of folk on here I thought I'd have a little go at things myself. I intend on building something 4ft x 2ft eventually but for now I've been practising my modelling skills in miniature.

Whilst off work for a couple of weeks I decided to produce a diarama based around a piece of Hornby R600 set track. I wanted to try and reproduce a couple of bits on the 3d printer and come up with something simple that can sit on a shelf.

post-32263-0-55147300-1541418929_thumb.jpg

post-32263-0-34453400-1541418944_thumb.jpg

post-32263-0-36082700-1541418950_thumb.jpg

post-32263-0-24533700-1541418957_thumb.jpg

post-32263-0-20416600-1541419413_thumb.jpg

The 3D printed objects are:

Relay boxes

Relay box surround and slabs

Pallets

Fencing

Cable trunking

I still have a 3d printed aggregate bag that I need to print up and add to the flat pallet (hence the dude with the shovel!)

I think, looking at the images, I could do with hitting the Bachmann figures with a coat of matt clear.

Any way, that's the extent of my efforts for now!

Cheer,

Alex

Edited by al3xfoster
  • Like 9

Thank you for the replies  :)

Here is a couple of snaps of some of the 3D prints:

post-32263-0-65383600-1541499846_thumb.jpg

I'd already painted these and didn't take any before pictures.

post-32263-0-04243400-1541499872_thumb.jpg

post-32263-0-43096900-1541499893_thumb.jpg

I also printed and weathered a rubbish skip but I felt it was too big for the size of the scene. The Land Rover was just too bright and glossy when I placed it on initially so I tried to tone it down a bit with some flat varnish and a dusting with the airbrush.

I've picked up some white paint now so will hopefully get the aggregate bag finished and added to the scene.

Edited by al3xfoster

Out of interest , were the actual 3d "meshes" something you had drawn yourself ?

Perhaps you could give us a rundown on the printer setup you have and programs used etc .

3d printing is one of those things that I'm always thinking about , I have dreams of being able to print my own half naked elven warrior queens and foot high space marines but I think it's still out of my budget at the moment plus I wouldn't know where to start as regards the actual 3d modelling !

Out of interest , were the actual 3d "meshes" something you had drawn yourself ?

Perhaps you could give us a rundown on the printer setup you have and programs used etc .

3d printing is one of those things that I'm always thinking about , I have dreams of being able to print my own half naked elven warrior queens and foot high space marines but I think it's still out of my budget at the moment plus I wouldn't know where to start as regards the actual 3d modelling !

Hello!

Yes, I have modeled the objects myself. I mainly use Autodesk Fusion 360 for my 3D work as I find it fairly straightforward for anything that has mainly non-complex shapes (such as the fence or the pallets. I'm still learning how to make more complex items that have compound curves and the like. I also use TinkerCAD to mock up ideas as it's quite easy to 'draw in shapes' if you will.  The majority of railway 3D models seem to sit behind a paywall/printing service such as Shapeways and I totally get why people add a price to their hard work. For me, I'm happy to print the items myself and this also happens to involve modelling them too! Ultimately, I'd love to be able to competently model and make loco parts.

I have two printers, a Creality Ender 3 and an Anycubic Photon. The first uses the extrusion of filament to create layers and thus the item and the latter uses a resin which is cured by light. The latter is capable of much smaller prints whilst maintaining accuracy.

This forum has a great 3D printing area and is a great place to browse for information - I should probably look at starting a thread in there for my models once I've added a couple more to the portfolio.