Sterling Single Sound

117dmu

I've been running my Sterling Single recently having not really had an opportunity to do so up to now; and have a few issues with it that I'm not clear on. I wondered if anyone else has noticed the same? I'm using an NCE power cab but initially programmed it with my Gaugemaster prodigy.

So when running it the whistle and the guards whistle has to be switched on and off. Not a problem, now I know but it's a pain as they keep going till you deactivate them. Secondly and probably more importantly when you are running the loco under power I had expected that by slightly reducing the power it would coast, it doesn't! It continues to chuff right to a standstill. Am I doing something wrong, or is this correct for the sound project on this chip.

If so is there a sound project out there that works better that I can get reblown on to the chip?

're the powercab and sounds, it depends if the powercab function buttons are latching or not, I know on the gaugemaster only F2 is not latching, all the rest are so need pressing a second time to turn the sound off, what are they like by default on the NEC.

Coasting depends on how braking is imlimented in the sound project.

Some you close the throttle and the loco slows to a stop, others you close the throttle and the loco just coasts until the brake button is pressed.

Do you know who's sounds have been loaded.

On the LRC, Rapido used immerse like type of drive whereby you drive the model like a real loco. You notch up and down yourself, have to engage the drive to get the loco to move and even apply the brakes to get it to stop (well I'm exaggerating in my description here but its just to show to concept), like as if you were driving a real loco. I think the APT-E does the same but I have not run it recently.

Maybe the Single is the same.

I prefer the more classic DCC drive whereby I slow the model down and it instantly coasts, stop the model and the brakes apply automatically etc. Especially as I tend to do stupid things like programming the PC to run the layout for me and I find that so much faster to do when the sound chip is programmed to coast/brake automatically rather than me having to have macros calling up various sound files at certain moments.

In the manual it should list all the Function / CV's. More than likely you just need to enable / map drive hold.

The ESU Full Throttle Steam files now include a few new logic features for added operational realism while still leaving you in control of HOW you wish to run your locomotive. 
Heavy Load:. 
Similar to the “Drive Hold” button on the Full Throttle Diesel files “Heavy Load” allows you to adjust the “Steam Cut Off Valve” at any speed allowing for a fierce full chuff or drifting with snifters and rod clanks. Heavy load can also act as an offset allowing speed adjustments when engaged if desired. 

Coast:
Opposite of “Heavy Load” Coast allows for a negative offset allow drifting sounds of Rods and snifter valves at any speed. You again have the option to hold the speed to adjust the speed with this offset active. Even allowing for an increase of speed with no chuffs as if drifting downhill. 

Heavy Load with Drive Hold: CV 114

Heavy Load without Drive Hold: Value of CV 114 minus 128

Coast with Drive Hold: CV 115 (F4 by Default)

Coast without Drive Hold: Value of CV 115 minus 128

Brake: (F10 by Default)

More details in "Full Throttle Steam Feature Description" here:

http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-decoders/

Edited by jonklein611