DCC sound for bi-modes - legomanbiffo IEP sound

Talltim

I was thinking about how sound could be done for a bi-mode (actually tri-mode, third rail, diesel and battery) loco and I see that Legomanbiffo has done an IEP with electric and diesel sounds so the principle has been worked out, so presumably with work this could be done for other types. I've watched a video of it in action and what I can't work out is does the electric sound play in parallel to the diesel when diesel is selected, or is the F8 function a straight swap between the sounds?

Edited by Talltim

I was thinking about how sound could be done for a bi-mode (actually tri-mode, third rail, diesel and battery) loco and I see that Legomanbiffo has done an IEP with electric and diesel sounds so the principle has been worked out, so presumably with work this could be done for other types. I've watched a video of it in action and what I can't work out is does the electric sound play in parallel to the diesel when diesel is selected, or is the F8 function a straight swap between the sounds?

F8 Starts up the Diesel Engines, as per the prototype then when under power disables the electric mode.

This is the same on our Class 73 that has been available for the last 4 years.    The Class 73 also has Arching from the rear pickup shoes (If fitted) in both directions.

Charlie

Cool. This is only idle thoughts at the moment, but would it be possible to extend the concept to have three sounds, third rail electric, diesel and battery (not sure how different third rail and battery would sound)? Presumably things that are common to all three, like traction motor whine, are duplicated in the individual sounds

Edited by Talltim

Cool. This is only idle thoughts at the moment, but would it be possible to extend the concept to have three sounds, third rail electric, diesel and battery (not sure how different third rail and battery would sound)? Presumably things that are common to all three, like traction motor whine, are duplicated in the individual sounds

Hi,

There won't be any difference in sound between third rail / overhead and battery power, after all it is just electricity. The only difference would be possibly top speed and the sound of a pantograph raising.

Of course, Tri-mode sounds are a title bit academic at the moment, as there aren't any in service on the real railway let alone a model of any of them! Come on Bachmann, scale up your class 319

Simon

Of course, Tri-mode sounds are a title bit academic at the moment, as there aren't any in service on the real railway let alone a model of any of them! Come on Bachmann, scale up your class 319

Simon

Well, no longer in service, but the New York Central DES-3 was tri-mode in 1930! (Most were 600v bottom contact third rail for using in New York and a couple were set up with pantographs for the 3000v system in Chicago)

To answer the various points;

Tri-mode would be tricky but probably do-able with the ESU v4, but more readily achieved with the next generation chip which I suspect isn’t all that far away now.

It may be ‘all electricity’ but there’s a world of difference between the sound of DC and AC traction motors, for example, so it is worth doing.

On my IEP you use F1 as normal to start and stop the prime mover sounds (diesel or electric) and another function to switch between the two. You can start up on either, shutdown on either, and switch between the two at will, on the move, all as per the prototype. Took a bit of working out all that but it’s very satisfying in operation.

Bif

• Like 1