Arkansas & Mississippi RR

JAMO

It's only a O-16.5 mm diorama to shoot photos.

The "new" layout is still under construction: I'm building it for my son. It's a switching layout.

The size is only less than 7 ft x 1 ft + the fiddle yard.

I'll show you soon... stay tuned please!

• Like 1

It's only a O-16.5 mm diorama to shoot photos.

I thought the track & ballast looked a bit overscale ;) although the scenery is really good! 

Glad to see some F-Units are on the roster!! :D You need something reliable for when all those Alcos fail in service!! :sarcastichand:

• Like 1

I thought the track & ballast looked a bit overscale ;) although the scenery is really good! 

Glad to see some F-Units are on the roster!! :D You need something reliable for when all those Alcos fail in service!! :sarcastichand:

Yes, that's right about the ballast. But I can live with this kind of ballast when I shoot HO scale models.

F-units: mmmmh! Nice locomotives.

Alcos can be out of order? Really?  :D  :D  :D  :D 

• 9 months later...

And I've tried to modify molded grab iron by installing fine metal ones made of 0,3 mm wire.

It works... but it's a difficult work for me when I rebuild the ladders. 

These two grabs are easy to change. I just need to repaint them in white and to weather the car.

1925455393_WagonsUSJM021.jpg.f3d51316e732919bef6b0c3d5ee5bdc7.jpg

598828535_WagonsUSJM022.jpg.b47e9f057a523973be4291c871e5bfcc.jpg

• Like 4

On 14/09/2019 at 07:47, JAMO said:

And I've tried to modify molded grab iron by installing fine metal ones made of 0,3 mm wire.

It works... but it's a difficult work for me when I rebuild the ladders. 

These two grabs are easy to change. I just need to repaint them in white and to weather the car.

1925455393_WagonsUSJM021.jpg.f3d51316e732919bef6b0c3d5ee5bdc7.jpg

598828535_WagonsUSJM022.jpg.b47e9f057a523973be4291c871e5bfcc.jpg

I need to do that to my Weaver O covered hoppers. I even have Atlas grab irons I bought as spares ready & waiting!! :rolleyes: :blush:

Edited by F-UnitMad
spelling!!
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I need to do that to my Weaver O covered hoppers. I even have Atlas vrab irons I bought as spares ready & waiting!! :rolleyes: :blush:

Yes, me too. For O scale, it's very realistic to do but I have a twentieth cars to modify. A long work for a winter... 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

That looks very good Jack.

I made my own grab handles from brass wire, (Thrifty Yorkshireman :rolleyes:.) 

The small amount of effort is worth the big improvement in appearance. 

Has anybody replaced the running boards with finer metal ones? 

Keep up the good work.

Mike.

IMG_0536.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

• Like 3

Thank you Jack,

It is a Weaver O Scale one.  I did it as a test piece to see how it would look compared to Atlas Master hoppers. I have 3 or 4 more ACF hoppers that I need to do. This one does compare well with the Atlas ones now, just need to find suitable replacement running boards.

“O Scale or no scale.”

• Like 2

Ah ok, I understand why it's so fine! O scale is a nice scale for the details and my "used" eyes. The presence of the rolling stock is good.

I have a lot of Weaver covered hoppers to modify like that. It will be a pleasure to do. The result looks great!

About running board, I don't know. Maybe directly from Atlas or P&D hobby shop... or to make them in photo etched plates.

Des Plaines Hobbies acquired the Plano O-scale roof walks made for 40ft boxcars, 2- and 4-bay covd hoppers and they are nice.

A few years back DPH had sold out and they're not on the current 'in-stock' list if that's up-to-date.  They're certainly worth doing if only because they're the first thing we see looking down on our models!  I'll send DPH an email.

Jason

Edited by jasond
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jasond said:

Des Plaines Hobbies acquired the Plano O-scale roof walks made for 40ft boxcars, 2- and 4-bay covd hoppers and they are nice.

A few years back DPH had sold out and they're not on the current 'in-stock' list if that's up-to-date.  They're certainly worth doing if only because they're the first thing we see looking down on our models!  I'll send DPH an email.

Jason

An American contact I have over on Western Thunder Forum told me he spoke to Des Plaines himself at the Chicago March Meet last year; there are no plans to re-do the O Scale etches at all. :cry:

A shame really as there seems to be a demand for them. I'd have at least two for starters - if they were available I'd then be more likely to look at more Weaver covered hoppers, which means I'd need more roofwalks. 

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

An American contact I have over on Western Thunder Forum told me he spoke to Des Plaines himself at the Chicago March Meet last year; there are no plans to re-do the O Scale etches at all.

They are a business, and not likely to produce anything unless sure of the demand .

A shame really as there seems to be a demand for them. I'd have at least two for starters

That should make all the difference...

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

well aware the reasons why DP have decided not to re-do them would be based on the economics of it...

That’s the whole problem: as the rtr stuff gets better and better, there is less demand for this sort of thing.

• Agree 2