Tiny Underground Models - introducing the 2mm scale Dreadnought

The Western Master

Ooh, very nice! May be after a couple of rakes when they come out. Saves me having to use Worsley Works etches and a lot of scratchbuilding.

Yeah I have a set of etchings for a 1st class but when I worked out the amount of time involved in making a coach I suspected that a complete body that just need detailing and painting would be more efficient use of time.

Edited by The Western Master

On 11/11/2018 at 22:40, justin1985 said:

Looks really good! Is this for 3D printing?

One point though, why design new bogies for traditional spring-mounted Rapido couplings? Surely it would be possible to design in an NEM socket instead, and allow a lot more flexibility? 

Yes this will be 3D printed.

The decision was taken to produce new bogies because of the need to introduce the electrical pickup on the back bogie on the Brake 3rd's. I felt that producing a new bogie would look better than taking an existing bogie and fudging it through.

Quick question are you intending to add the heating and lighting controls to the appropriate end of these coaches? Not sure how easy it will be in 2mm though!

There may be another set of CAD images before prototypes but I would suggest that, in a similar manner to other 3d prints, this is merely a base from which a modeller can detail as much or little as they like.

• 1 month later...

Greetings modellers and Happy New Year

Development is progressing as time allows. We are now at a stage where a test print can be ordered from Shapeways which I will do this week.

In the meantime, please see the attached pictures.

In case anyone wishes to know, the plan is to obtain couplings and buffers from a 3rd party (Graham Farish couplings and NGS buffers are currently the preferred option). I will also be deploying Peco bearings in the bogies to facilitate free running. Wheelsets will be Graham Farish spoked sets.

I have tried printing some parts at work but unfortunately they do not have 0.2mm heads for the 3d printers which prevents the detail on the body coming out so I will defer to Shapeways for future prints.

More updates will follow soon.

Pete

post-2997-0-43035700-1546941172_thumb.jpg

post-2997-0-90984100-1546941177_thumb.jpg

post-2997-0-87373400-1546941183_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Greetings modellers and Happy New Year

Development is progressing as time allows. We are now at a stage where a test print can be ordered from Shapeways which I will do this week.

In the meantime, please see the attached pictures.

In case anyone wishes to know, the plan is to obtain couplings and buffers from a 3rd party (Graham Farish couplings and NGS buffers are currently the preferred option). I will also be deploying Peco bearings in the bogies to facilitate free running. Wheelsets will be Graham Farish spoked sets.

I have tried printing some parts at work but unfortunately they do not have 0.2mm heads for the 3d printers which prevents the detail on the body coming out so I will defer to Shapeways for future prints.

More updates will follow soon.

Pete

Looking forward to getting my hands on some of these - when will they be released?

Looking forward to getting my hands on some of these - when will they be released?

Hi Jim

As and when. Sorry I can't be more precise but we don't know if we'll need to modify the CAD. I expect delivery of my test print for the 1st class coach in about 10 days time. Unfortunately I'm away from home a lot with work at the moment so modelling is a slow burner but I will update when I have info.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is an interesting project - I shall be intrigued to see how fully 3d printed N gauge carriages turn out. Are there any plans for an interior, may I ask?

Incidentally, have you tried iMaterialise? I am told good things about the quality and consistency of prints from this company, although have not tried them myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all

An update. The issues seen on the first body appear to have been a poor quality print from Shapeways. Highly unusual but they kindly sent me a second body for free. I have now got both bodies sprayed into a first coat of brown paint. This is because my eventual layout will be nominally 50's and 60s as these coaches ceased service in 1962. Alternative livery is varnished teak in the metropolitan, LPTB and pre-war LT days. Another is the red and white the 3 preserved coaches received in the early days of the KWVR for filming of The Railway Children (1970).

But back to the plot. The bogies have been designed for simplicity, so in the final design all modeller will need to do is insert 2 spoked wheel axles from GF and add 1 coupling with spring. The prototype will be a bit of a lash up as we're very much on a learning curve but this is coming along as time allows.

All the best 

Pete

20190301_155452.jpg

• Like 1

Hi everyone

Some new CAD renders of the 1st class coach. I've had the bogies and chassis modified slightly based on the experience gained from the prototype. In the meantime my designer has also added an interior so it's really starting to look the part now...  The buffers have also gone back onto the chasis for ease of construction. As soon as we're happy with the 1st class coach then the 3rd class and 3rd brake will follow relatively quickly because the chassis will be shared between all 3. A second bogie variant has been created for the brake 3rd as this will have the electric shoe used in these sets for continuous lighting etc when running over point work.

Happy modelling

Pete

Metropolitan Dreadnought 1st Class (1).jpg

Metropolitan Dreadnought 1st Class (4).jpg

Metropolitan Dreadnought 1st Class (2).jpg

Metropolitan Dreadnought 1st Class (3).jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings

Further progress. The prototype requires detailing with brake pipes, transfers then a final varnish.

Mk2 has now been printed. The design has been modified and an interior has now been created. The bogie mounting arrangement has been changed so the chassis shouldn't break when the bogies are mounted...

20190328_094725.jpg

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, The Western Master said:

Thinking just sheet acetate glued in for glazing. Shapeways print, but I must admit they're not cheap. The prints alone are about £60 At current prices...

Shapeways 3d prints can be expensive, although the high detail resin material is definitely effective (albiet perhaps a little brittle).

I have discovered a possible alternative to Shapeways recently, being 3D Compare. This is an interesting service which allows an .stl file to be submitted and a quote to be given instantaneously from a large range of different small independent 3d print suppliers from around the world. I have yet to try printing anything by these means, but I have uploaded a file that had a similar cost to your print, or perhaps even more, as it was in 1:76, and the price was given as around £5 (plus £15 postage from China). The material was given as "high detail resin", but I have not ordered it yet as I am awaiting information as to printability and detail parameters.

This is a potentially promising outlet, however: I discovered it after one of the site's owners approached me at the recent Alexandra Palace exhibition (where I was demonstrating 3d modelling for 3d printing on the Model Railway Club's stand) and explained the service. It is also linked to a marketplace type site called MyMiniFactory. I have uploaded the carriages that I have been working on to the site here. It is interesting that the people who run the site take such an interest in model railways.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Exciting news. I'm reliably told I should have CAD for 3rd class and brake 3rd coaches very soon. Subject to prototype builds not having any concerns, I will release all 3 coaches to Shapeways for general sale in due course. Currently expect this to be early August if all goes to plan.

• Like 2

Well, here's a taste pf things to come. I think you will agree with me that Pegasus Designs have done a fantastic job. Interiors are being finalised for the 3rd and 3rd brake so prototypes won't be ordered just yet but don't they look fantastic?

LT Dreadnought 6.jpg

LT Dreadnought 4.jpg

LT Dreadnought 3.jpg

LT Dreadnought 1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, The Western Master said:

Well, here's a taste pf things to come. I think you will agree with me that Pegasus Designs have done a fantastic job. Interiors are being finalised for the 3rd and 3rd brake so prototypes won't be ordered just yet but don't they look fantastic?

LT Dreadnought 6.jpg

LT Dreadnought 4.jpg

LT Dreadnought 3.jpg

LT Dreadnought 1.jpg

Thank you so much for the kind words! Hope you like the end result and others do too...

Cheers!
Hayley....

• Agree 1