Cake Box - The next generation

Phil Parker

Alternatively we could all make modules and link them together, possibly with slightly looser standards than some modular guidelines (I shouldn’t think, for example, that we’ll need to have a power bus given the short length involved, maybe having a power feed available every few cake boxes would be OK). Somebody could do a set of cake box boards forming a circle and we could put them at each end to give two sides. :)

A cakebox module layout would be amazing for shows.

Maybe an option for the last theme before next years BRM show?

:yes:

• RMweb Gold

A cakebox module layout would be amazing for shows.

Maybe an option for the last theme before next years BRM show?

:yes:

Presribe the thickness of baseboard so they can be laid on a flat surface together. Simple electrical connection (croc clips?) at each boundary. Agreed track spec - code 100 with standard joiners at the boundary? The only other question is whether to prescribe the connection points on the board - if yes you could have a railway version of the board game of 'Carcassone', if not could have fun free for all!

Edited by ruggedpeak

Presribe the thickness of baseboard so they can be laid on a flat surface together. Simple electrical connection (croc clips?) at each boundary. Agreed track spec - code 100 with standard joiners at the boundary? The only other question is whether to prescribe the connection points on the board - if yes you could have a railway version of the board game of 'Carcassone', if not could have fun free for all!

We could also do an 009 spec (and N if anyone wants to). I think 0 might not work very well though. Wouldn’t want to make too many guidelines as the fun would be lost but could the baseboard thickness be derived from the Scale Model Scenery diorama boards that some have used? If there were issues with height I’m sure some packing pieces could be carefully deployed to smooth things out.

Edit: What if people don’t want their track to be at ground level?

Edited by 009 micro modeller

• RMweb Gold

We could also do an 009 spec (and N if anyone wants to). I think 0 might not work very well though. Wouldn’t want to make too many guidelines as the fun would be lost but could the baseboard thickness be derived from the Scale Model Scenery diorama boards that some have used? If there were issues with height I’m sure some packing pieces could be carefully deployed to smooth things out.

Edit: What if people don’t want their track to be at ground level?

I think it is 2 different things - the normal cakebox challenge and a separate modular one.

I think it is 2 different things - the normal cakebox challenge and a separate modular one.

I know, but even on a module you may not want the track at ground level. I would suggest setting a standard track height above table top, position of the track etc. If people want to vary theirs they can, as long as they sort out the transitions. For example, if I want the track to be higher on one of my modules, I can do this but I have to either build adjacent cake boxes with the gradients leading in and out of this higher section or find someone else who wants to. I think a modular scheme would need some thought to enable people to make something more interesting than just a straight track down the middle of the board with fairly plain scenery.

• Administrators

For what it's worth, I've been involved with and watched plenty of discussions on modular standards. They always descend into a quagmire as everyone demands that THEY set the standard. 

If we want modular Cake Boxes, then that's a seperatethread and needs a seperate group to organise it. That group will not include me, although I'll admit I'd love to see the idea work.

The future is simple Cake Boxing for the moment. New competition to be announced on Jan 1st...

• Like 2

Phil brings up a very good point.  Coming up with a modular standard does seem to be quite problematic. 

One of the things that seem to be growing here in the U.S. is T-Track, a N scale modular system.  The basic module is approx. 12 x 12.  The NMRA division I belong to displays a small layout at shows and I've seen other groups display ever larger layouts at shows over the past few years.  New modelers enjoy this as it allows them to start small but also participate in a larger layout.  Here are some links:

http://www.t-trak.org/

While the standards result in a size that is much bigger than the cakebox (is there a 12x12 cake box?), it does provide some food for thought.

For what it's worth, I've been involved with and watched plenty of discussions on modular standards. They always descend into a quagmire as everyone demands that THEY set the standard.

If we want modular Cake Boxes, then that's a seperatethread and needs a seperate group to organise it. That group will not include me, although I'll admit I'd love to see the idea work.

The future is simple Cake Boxing for the moment. New competition to be announced on Jan 1st...

Which is why I originally tried to think of a way of doing it without setting too many constraints, before realising that getting beyond a simple straight, level track along the centre of the board would inevitably introduce complexity and a need for some standards. Personally I wouldn’t mind if the edges didn’t quite line up and if we had to use a bit of cardboard packing etc to alter the level of a board, as long as it kind of worked and everyone was having fun. The need for the track to be in the same place on each one only comes in if people want to combine them in multiple different ways, like Carcassonne, but I won’t even begin to try and get my head round how that would work at this point. With restrictive standards kept to a minimum the modules could still be fun, and could be of any prototype -the train could start off in Eccles, passing through Victoria and Sandwich before finally reaching the Black Forest... :jester: In N and 009 however I think the XTS toy train may have beaten us to it: http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00067CHYO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Also featured here: http://www.carendt.com/small-layout-scrapbook/page-51-july-2006/

Edited by 009 micro modeller

I think I must apologise for ever suggesting modules - i was thinking of four cakeboxes by one person being able to be put together. I never had any thought of everyone linking together. I agree with Andy's post above - the simplicity of the cake box challenge is part of its attraction

Pete

• Administrators

I think I must apologise for ever suggesting modules - i was thinking of four cakeboxes by one person being able to be put together. I never had any thought of everyone linking together. I agree with Andy's post above - the simplicity of the cake box challenge is part of its attraction

Pete

No apology necessary. The point of the Cake Box Challenge is to encourage imagination. I just think modules need a seperate discussion are if people want to go there. That's not to say 2019 Warley could have 2000 layouts, all 8 inches square...

• Like 1

New Years Resolution, "No more than ONE cakebox this time!"

A new challenge(s) is a great idea. I enjoyed CBC because it caused me do things I had just been thinking about for years.

Peterborough is a long way from Carlisle so I will not be able to come. But is it possible to have the same invitation for Model Rail Scotland in Glasgow in February?

Regarding size, A4 would provide an alternative challenge and perhaps there could be a different size for each competition even down to A5 ! Also, increasing the word count up to 300 words would help the stories. How many quarterly themes will be announced in January? 

Bryce

dreghornpug

• Administrators

A new challenge(s) is a great idea. I enjoyed CBC because it caused me do things I had just been thinking about for years.

Peterborough is a long way from Carlisle so I will not be able to come. But is it possible to have the same invitation for Model Rail Scotland in Glasgow in February?

Regarding size, A4 would provide an alternative challenge and perhaps there could be a different size for each competition even down to A5 ! Also, increasing the word count up to 300 words would help the stories. How many quarterly themes will be announced in January? 

Bryce

dreghornpug

Glasgow - No. The space is on the BRM stand and we don't have one at Glasgow.

Size - no, it's staying Cake Box Size.

January - 1 competition. It will run for 3 months and then we plan to announce a new (still Cake Box) one. Basically, this will be the same competition each time, just with a different theme. That way, if you don't like an idea, in 3 months another one will come along.

• Like 2

Glasgow - No. The space is on the BRM stand and we don't have one at Glasgow.

Size - no, it's staying Cake Box Size.

January - 1 competition. It will run for 3 months and then we plan to announce a new (still Cake Box) one. Basically, this will be the same competition each time, just with a different theme. That way, if you don't like an idea, in 3 months another one will come along.

Provided they don't all bunch up like buses do.....

That’s quite a sad couple of images

Chris

Not quite as sad as you would imagine. I think a couple of them are still in scrapyard condition, although not now littered with cars.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.1196491,-3.1563019,3a,75y,292.59h,89.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9dYkGZCxB48CKEYg1og4lw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

However one of them is in a bit better condition.  :mosking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMBnrNXyKsE

Now on the Cambrian Railway in Oswestry.

Jason

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I for one am looking forward to the Christmas break, I hope you all get what you wished for and have a safe and happy Christmas. We are expecting a temperature of 30'c for Xmas day here in Australia(Oz) so I will be thinking of you all enjoying a cold, White?? Christmas. 

With regard to the new CBC.  I hope everyone is prepared for Easter!!! I will watch with interest and maybe enter one or two.

• 2 weeks later...