1F 41835 never rebuilt

w124bob

• RMweb Premium

Surprised to see this in original condition, so was it a one off or did any other 1F's survive in as built condition?

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-BRITISH-RAILWAYS-MIDLAND-REGION/060T-LOCOMOTIVES/i-V2Jd5HF

Looks in surprisingly good condition too.

According to S. Summerson, Midland Railway Locomotives Vol. 3 (Irewell Pres, 2002), 41835 was rebuilt with a Belpaire boiler as late as 1961, being finally withdrawn in 1966. That seems to be the very last rebuild of a 1377 Class engine, though there were a number rebuilt in the early 50s. She was one of a handful of engines kept going after the majority of the class were withdrawn in the early-mid 50s, to fulfil a contract for engines for Staveley Works. I suspect that by the time of her last general repair, there were no serviceable round-topped boilers left so conversion was the only option.

There were plenty of 1377 Class engines withdrawn without rebuilding, even as late as the 50s; the same goes for the 1121 Class engines.

Edited by Compound2632

I knew it was a Canklow and Barrowhill(Staveley Midland) engine but as the BRdatabase didn't show any works visits I wrongly assumed it was scrapped in that condition. Lesson here then don't trust what you first read.

• RMweb Premium

It has a Stanier chimney, Deeley domed smokebox door, the handrails are Deeley style and I suspect the frames are not original. So strictly speaking not in original condition. Nice photo though. I suffer from a 1F fetish. There is apparently no cure.

I think it's not yet terminal - you're still able to bring yourself to call it a 1F, rather than 1102 class, 1377 class, or 1121 class.