'Rigby Cole Mills' East Anglia

Gravy Train

Hi folks

a 4mm oo scale for the Grandchildren, in development, inspired by Iain rice's East Anglian ventures.

Rigby Cole Mills, Rigby after my youngest Daughters married name and Cole my eldest daughters married name, Mills the Grain/seed and all else mills.

Its out the box Peco finescale as is the stock and making use of the Kadee delayed uncoupling system, its self contained in as much as it has a hidden sector plate at the rear accessed through the girder rd bridge.

Its a million miles from my escapades in EM LYR in some respects but when I look again, it isn't really, just a different company and system but more or less the same approach in terms of modelling, I have from the off, got the children involved of which I will explain in due course.

It may intrest some of you as to how we go and have gone about putting this together.

As mentioned its in development

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 3

I have had to take the pictures down and unable to add any more, for some reason the pictures are upside down but when I put them on the computer they are the right way up same as the signal box ones I put up but when I put the layout ones on they flip round so making it difficult to view them.

does anyone know what the problem might be.

thanks

Pete

Have put these up, these are the photos of how it looks at present but by no means how itwill look when fiished.

The Mills buildings need finishing off, the grain hopper needs to be modelled and the Mills extendedand the front of layout and right hand side need major developement.

Have put these up, these are the photos of how it looks at present but by no means how itwill look when fiished.

The Mills buildings need finishing off, the grain hopper needs to be modelled and the Mills extendedand more to the right andthe front of layout developed and right hand side need major developement.

post-1241-0-32715300-1541669662_thumb.jpg

post-1241-0-04780300-1541669697_thumb.jpg

post-1241-0-89950900-1541669723_thumb.jpg

post-1241-0-90517700-1541669759_thumb.jpg

post-1241-0-92488900-1541669795_thumb.jpg

post-1241-0-16899400-1541669842_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ade,thanks re the brickwork, all structures a scratch, the brickwork has only had one coat of brick up to now and needs another coat then weathering sensitively.cheersPeter

Ah to be honest I should of known as I can’t think of a kit looking like those.

Great scratch building, what have you used in the construction? And paint and weathering what are you using there?

Looking forward to more.

Cheers

Ade

Hi,

I will have another go at loading up the pictures of the layout build.

Im still not sure why the pictures were displayed upside down and side on etc.

I do know that if photos are taken with a mobile phone in a certain way they will transfer as taken.

I altered them so that they appeared elswhere the right way up but for some reason I couldnt get them to work here.

I have trieda different methods this time, so hopefully may work.

Pete

post-1241-0-92791700-1541971738_thumb.jpg

post-1241-0-40462900-1541972225_thumb.jpg

post-1241-0-29414500-1541972658_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 5

Nice looking layout Pete, have you a track plan at all or a ''google earth'' view? Look forward to seeing more developments.

Steve.

Hi Ade, thanks for that, the structures are made from Plasticard, Wills Pantiles, brickwork is Southeastern Finecast embossed sheet.

Humbrol No64 for motar and No70 for the brick colour, windows are part scratch, Wills and microstrip.

/the idea here was not to spend too much time on the structures but rather a fast easey way to get an end result and is not meant to be top drawer modelling.

I have were possible got the grandchildren involved too, Megan the eldest at 10 years did most of the balasting, except were the pointwork was.

Megan also completely built the Tree.

Lillie 9years and Max 6years old helped construct the Stone sets and formers along with the ground cover and static grass application.

It is my cunning way of getting them off the Ipad's.

Hi Steve

many thanks, I will see if I can get a trackplan sorted.

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks Pete. Nice photo's, it's good to see a layout's construction, theres some very neat work there. what have you used for your secor plate?

Steve.

Hi Steve, I have used Perspex sheet 80thou thickness, a bolt fixed into a hole in the Perspex and through the board, with two nuts underneath, the second nut a locking nut so we can have movement but not to work loose, hence the locking nut.

We also have a makeshift locking system for lining up the tracks on and off stage, by mean of screws fixed into the baseboard and brass tube soldered to them with a brass rod with handle pushed into the tube to align up, old school but reliable.

I embrace technology for the most part but like to keep things simple and reliable, the more technical something is, the more difficult to put right in the event of a problem, I can never understand why it is essential to have a sophisticated mechanism, to do the same job, same end result.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Some progress photos

as this is a family project ie, the Grandchildren’s involvement it is  sometimes slow progress.

we are now working on how we can have operation from the rear also, with a scenic piece that will fit snug over the point operating switches at the front.

EF9BC1BB-EBF6-4C36-9E8F-6A8BFEE62206.jpeg

• Like 5

Hi Pete,

Smashing layout and good use of space without crowding the environment. I particularly like the angled scenic break girder bridge.

Can you tell me where you got the lamp from? Pen stowage looks a good idea for use on my desk, which IS a crowded environment! :)

Cheers,

Rich.