Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Results - The Wishlist Poll 2018

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Just to let you know that the results are all set up and ready to go, but a couple of Team members have unexpectedly been 'called away from their desks' for a few days. Once they have had the chance to see them, I'll be able to add them here - and I'm hoping for that to be over this weekend.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

• RMweb Gold

Results – The Wishlist Poll 2018

Hello everyone

Very many thanks to all those who downloaded and displayed The Poll posters and who took part in The Poll this year.

Once again, the 00 Poll Team would like to express our grateful thanks to Andy York for all his timely help in running ‘the computerised aspects’ of The Poll for us. Although The Poll is ‘hosted’ on RMweb, Andy does this as a volunteer in his own time and neither he nor Warners/BRM etc have any ‘influence’ on it. The 00 Poll Team itself comprises nine volunteers who have worked on The Poll in its current format since 2012. We are unpaid and totally independent.

As many of you are aware we didn’t run the N Poll this year, but a team of N modellers is looking at running that at some time in the future and we expect they will notify RMweb at the appropriate moment.

The results are in the formats of:

Most Wanted

Category by Category

Top to Bottom

When you look at the results, bear in mind that we haven’t run since 2016; some items were ‘combined’ this year with others being ‘split’; 39 items have been deleted; and 92 new items went in. Those changes are bound to put a slightly different perspective on matters. Having said that, the results still seem to be reasonably in context with earlier years and we will naturally have up and down movements.

Very many thanks to all who submitted suggestions for 2019; they are on the Agenda and will be given ‘a fair hearing’ when we conduct our usual full review of the content.

We can, however, give you one piece of advance news for 2019. We have provided a Standard Gauge Industrial loco category since 2014 and that was at the request of voters. When we originally investigated the content from 2013, we were unable to find a way of listing the vast array of items within the confines of a category which would work for our audience of ‘beginner to expert’.

We took a ‘generic listing’ approach with notes in the Guide which said: We have only listed ‘general types’ to see if any one or more emerges as more popular. This would enable further evaluation elsewhere.

Up to the time of writing and to the best of our knowledge, no-one has yet been able to analyse the results any more specifically – even though we appreciate that an attempt is in hand – so we have taken the decision to remove the Industrial category for 2019. It was only ever designed to be ‘temporary’.

The decision is final and I’m sorry to say that we won’t discuss it here.

We did investigate running a 009 category and actually got to a very workable draft – however, we have decided to stick to our ‘core content’ in the future.

The good news is that we will be using the ‘free space’ to split what was Freight Stock: Pre-1948 into two, as below, but please note these are working titles:

Freight Stock: Pre-1923 (GWR items pre-1923 + Pre-grouping Railway Company items)

Freight Stock: 1923-1948 (Big Four designs)

Freight Stock: 1948-1963 (BR designs + some others, such as Ferry Vans)

Freight Stock: 1963-current

Finally, we aware that some might accuse us of ‘levity’ in posting these results on what is clearly a solemn weekend. Our schedule was laid a year ago to publish during last week to be ahead of any pre-Warley announcements. We ask you to take into account that our slight delay in publishing was due to reasons outside our reasonable control.

We hope you will find the results interesting and that the makers keep providing us with the now so often excellent models with which we can further enjoy our modelling!

The 00 Poll Team

Neil Burgess, Robert Carroll, John Lewis, Jeff Lynn, Brian Macdermott, Chris Knowles-Thomas, Nick Stanbury, Ian Taylor and Glen Woods

1. Results - The 00 Wishlist Poll 2018 - Most Wanted.pdf

2. Results - The 00 Wishlist Poll 2018 - By Category.pdf

3. Results - The 00 Wishlist Poll 2018 - Top-to-Bottom.pdf

• Like 4

Thanks for all your efforts  -  I am very grateful.

I must admit to not understanding most of the most "popular" of the results, both for the overall but especially for the Southern  -  a very peculiar selection still a poll is a poll.

Hope it helps the manufacturers, although I have my concerns.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks again, Brian. I'm glad to see the U and Q doing well. Also, the 3H is still getting decent votes and with only a centre car to do, that seems like a 'no-brainer' to me.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all your efforts  -  I am very grateful.

I must admit to not understanding most of the most "popular" of the results, both for the overall but especially for the Southern  -  a very peculiar selection still a poll is a poll.

Hope it helps the manufacturers, although I have my concerns.

Hello Phil

Many thanks for the kind comments.

More than 400 Press Releases went out to web groups, clubs and printed magazines around the world this year. Naturally, we can't tell you who published what or whether they reached 'fans' of one railway or region etc more than any other.

I can say, though, from the year-on-year comparison charts that we keep, all categories show a relatively consistent set of positions across the years.

For example, the U was 4th Most Wanted SR Loco in 2013. The higher-polling Adams Radial, S15 and 700 were all subsequently announced. The U is now top-wanted SR Loco.

The Q was 7th Most Wanted. Those mentioned above plus the Marsh Atlantic, H and Air-smooth N were subsequently announced and now the Q is 2nd Most Wanted.

If you want to see the Comparison Table, just ask and I will post here.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

• RMweb Gold

What a great piece of research.  At the end of the day this is the kind of info that must be like gold dust to the manufacturers, no matter what our individual wishes and wants are.

Having said that, I do wonder where a sealed beam "Peak" would come in the rankings  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

No problem, Phil - it was an opportunity for me to say what we do with the Press Releases.

Sadly, your D15 has sat around the middle of the Low Polling segment since inception. I, personally, would love a couple of E1Rs, but they have also sat in Low Polling, although they only missed getting into Middle Polling by two votes this year. I live in hope!

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team, except where noted)

• RMweb Gold

What a great piece of research.  At the end of the day this is the kind of info that must be like gold dust to the manufacturers, no matter what our individual wishes and wants are.

Having said that, I do wonder where a sealed beam "Peak" would come in the rankings  :jester:  :jester:

Hello 55020

Many thanks for the comments.

We do our utmost to note that the Results are only the views of those who voted. Manufacturers need to take much more than these Results into account when deciding which commercial models to produce. We would never ask them - and they would never tell us! - but we hope what they see here closely matches their own varied sources of market research.

We have looked at the loco you mention, but have discounted it on the basis that it has been released since our year 2000 cut-off date.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks to Brian and the rest of the team - its a huge piece of work!

A suitably strong showing in 00 by Swindon DMUs - 120 top of the list

Come on Bachmann, you know you want to please - how about a nice Warley announcement?

Also interesting to note the AL4 has polled highest amongst the original AC electrics - always thought they had the most character

As for a retooled Manor - that has to be a winner, along with Banana vans

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks, Phil

The Class 120 has been the top-voted DMU since 2013 and has been in The Top 10 since then as well. This year, it is 7th overall.

The Manor was High Polling in 2013 and 2014, but entered The Top 50 in 2015. It has remained The Most Wanted GWR Loco since.

The Class 81 was High Polling in 2013, 2014 and 2015, but entered The Top 50 in 2016. It has stayed there in 2018.

May I add my thanks to Brian and the team once again. Great to see the number participating has increased once more. If one assumes around 100,000 (??) active modellers currently, this represents around 2.5%, which is statistically a very high percentage when compared to most polls about almost anything. I fully accept this is from a largely less representative, and self-selecting portion of the hobby (i.e. us on here), but even so...... (stand by for onslaught of critics saying why this is or is not so......)

Good to see certain of my faves nearing the top of some sections, but others not. I am particularly surprised by the (relative) lack of support for the Cartic4 (given the popularity of the Motorail wagons, but much harder to scratch build) and China Clay TEA's, which would appeal both to Western and Southern Region modellers, and even the 102t scrap bogies, which can be used virtually nationally. But hey ho, it is what it is. Brill to see the IOW coaches top the SR coaching poll, and get straight into the Top 50.

• Like 1

Thanks to all those involved in running the Poll.

Good to see the Class 120 DMU scoring well again, it can't be far away now, surely ?!!

One surprise for me was the 227 votes for 58100, the Midland's 'Big Bertha'; There must be a lot of Lickey Incline layouts built or at least planned !

Edited to correct my mis-remembering, there were in fact 277 votes for Big Bertha - Even more Lickey Incline layouts than I thought !

Edited by caradoc

• RMweb Gold

Good to see certain of my faves nearing the top of some sections, but others not. I am particularly surprised by the (relative) lack of support for the Cartic4 (given the popularity of the Motorail wagons, but much harder to scratch build) and China Clay TEA's, which would appeal both to Western and Southern Region modellers, and even the 102t scrap bogies, which can be used virtually nationally. But hey ho, it is what it is. Brill to see the IOW coaches top the SR coaching poll, and get straight into the Top 50.

Many thanks, Mike

The Cartic-4 has been High Polling since 2014 but has gradually slipped to the low end of the segment - but that still means it is within the overall Top 300, and items from a lot lower have been made.

The IoW coaches have been the 2nd Most Wanted SR Coach since 2013 (behind the Maunsell RF) but - as you say - have now entered The Top 50. In 2016, they were only seven votes outside.

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking forward to those 277 layouts based on the Lickey Incline! Interesting to see that despite the increasing number of items of earlier date, it's still BR era items that dominate - at least that's how I interpret the overwhelming preference for LMS period III stock over earlier carriages - evidently few respondents are interested in modelling the LMS pre-WWII...

Apologies for the tongue-in-cheekiness. It's an entertaining exercise so thanks to those who run it!

• Like 2