Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Results - The Wishlist Poll 2018

• RMweb Gold

I love looking at these results, very much thanks for doing this.

The EMU table is fascinating and shows what a minefield of risk this is for manufacturers...

Looking at the list, it seems to expand.

Whilst some have continually polled well, 313/4cor/442 etc, whilst others join, the list is low 200s or less.

The highest polling EMU attracted 239 votes, less than 10% of the 2500 votes cast, but if produced would presumably eat the budget of a loco + 2 coaches (assuming the motor went in the centre car and the trailers are identical).

Compare that to the Manor, which 3 manufacturers have a tender, and 2 have a chassis, and the 3rd could presumably be similar, which brings the duplication risk, even if economies could be called upon from utilising existing tooling inventories for part of it.

I think the secret hidden gem in this lot is the 6 wheel milk tanker, if people like me, voted for “a” milk tanker, then with 6 to choose from in the Poll that represents 987 votes across all 6 options for a Milk tanker, given weve never had a fully accurate ready to run milk tanker that to me stands out as a safe choice, its a matter of selecting which tanker to make, with my guess as GW or SR being favourites, (and GW/SR dominating the popular poll for locos) and as they were mixed and matched, I suspect there’s enough room for more than 1 to be tooled.

Again thanks for doing this.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting results. I continue to be baffled why the Saint always scores so low. Probably the most significant design in UK locomotive development,practically every other design made since then using Churchward principles, surely deserves a quality model. There isn't even a decent kit anymore.

One question if i may. The N15x was included, but why not its original version the L tank? Judging by the kind of locos that score highly I think this could be a popular choice.

Hello Denbridge

The Saint is in The Top 50 and is now the third most wanted GWR Loco. Overall, she is in position 24 of 778 - and we could list 30,000+ items. Surely, in the pinnacle of the pinnacle?

Rest assured that your suggestion for the L tank is going on the Agenda. We took the view - partly based on our need to keep listings within reasonable parameters - that it hasn't gone in in previous years due to the early rebuild date. With one or two notable and understandable exceptions, the further back in time we go, the fewer the votes any loco will get. But it will be given 'a fair hearing'.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• RMweb Premium

Brian & team thanks for another year of the poll, well done.

The interesting thing is how 'oddballs' have crept near to the top of the field presumably reflecting that either most more useful subjects have been covered (which seems unlikely) or that there is a solid group of folk to whom an oddball (such as the Leader) appeals simply because it is an oddball. I wonder what influence this sort of voting will have on manufacturers and if it will divert their attention from more' bread & butter' high scorers such as the long overdue Class 120 dmus? For example some of us might have a 'fluffy liking for a gas turbine 18000 but given a choice between that and a Class 120 set I know where many would put their money as the dmu would be far more useful and typical.

One point which perhaps still needs to be addressed in your categories is the very thorny one of GWR Toplight stock. In some other areas you have gradually been able to refine the list, especially wagons and NPCCS, but the Toplights now stand out like a sore thumb because they can mean so many different things to different people as an earlier poll conducted in a thread devoted to the subject very clearly showed where the choice of those who voted could at best be described as 'varied' or at worst as 'balkanised'. A difficult area to address I fully realise but I do think at present the lumping together of so many different vehicles could be misleading.

Ah! I see Toplights gave scored well in the poll.

Thanks as ever to the team behind the wish list poll.

Great to see that Toplights have again scored well, but as Mike says above, there are so many options. Personally I would love to see a range of Toplights and I guess will be happy with a manufacturers choice :-) another set of GWR carriages would be good to the same standard as the recent Collect carriages.

I also see the GWR Metro and 517 tanks did well... as did the Great Bear. 2019 / 2020 GWR releases could be interesting....

If you haven’t voted in the Toplights poll, feel free to add a vote :-)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118689-gwr-toplights-poll/?hl=toplights

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Firstly, thanks to everyone involved for the work and time put into this; I bet it isn't as easy as you made it look!  It is worth doing from 2 points of view as far as I am concerned, firstly to show me how much I am out of touch (more than I thought) and secondly of course to attempt to get the manufacturers to give us what we think we want rather than what they think we want.

I got some things right, the 120 and 123 dmus, and some wrong, the low placing of pre 1928 auto trailers and non-appearance of non gangwayed GW coaching stock that isn't a B set and the 116 dmu.

Can we have a category next year for stuff not yet delivered despite being promised for the last 5 years by Bachmann, to be made by other companies who might actually be able to get a model to market in my lifetime?

Great poll - already looking forward to that Rapido Sentinal railcar. Not sure whether to go for a Neptune, Trafalgar, or Tally Ho.

Suggestion: next year why not include a suggestions box right at the bottom, so people can add all kinds of sensible (ho ho!) thoughts as to what could be added to the subsequent years' poll. It might diffuse the 'I couldn't find X or Y' brigade because they had just been given the opportunity to offload their grievance as to it's absence. Whether the Poll Team concede to actually adding it is another matter entirely. 

Edited by Dick Turpin
  • Like 1

Was very surprised to once again see GWR 813 (ex-PTR 26) beat several other pre-grouping GWR entries.

No surprise to see LBSCR, LSWR and SECR wagons along with several other SR entries in top positions. Dare I hope that Caledonian Wagons will rise in the polls over the next years when Bachmann/Rails release the CR 812?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Was very surprised to once again see GWR 813 (ex-PTR 26) beat several other pre-grouping GWR entries.

No surprise to see LBSCR, LSWR and SECR wagons along with several other SR entries in top positions. Dare I hope that Caledonian Wagons will rise in the polls over the next years when Bachmann/Rails release the CR 812?

There was a pretty strong hint, a year or so back that GWR 813 was being considered for rtr.

• RMweb Gold

Once again an excellent Poll, and its contents.

I'm a bit concerned about how the votes were garnered.....

I voted for the Taff Vale Railway A class about 500 times. It would have been more, but the 'enter' key on my keyboard popped off. (JOKE).

Well done team. The next few years could prove expensive in RTR land.

Cheers,

Ian.

Oh, can I add a vote for the TVR 04? Too late? Oh well, maybe next year.....

• Like 2

The London Underground Metropolitan Dreadnought coaches and E class 0-4-4T did very well in the survey as did the Isle of Wight bogie coaches. I wonder if any of the smaller firms have considered producing these. I think the coaches may already be available in kit form.

The Hampshire/Berkshire 3H dmus were high on the list and I wish that Kernow had produced these in the first place.

Pre-grouping wagons taken over by the Southern were top of the wagon list. As an interim measure perhaps Wessex Wagons could produce their wagons in LSWR, SECR and LBSC liveries. I ordered my LSWR brake van from Kernow in 2014 and I am looking forward to receiving it. I think that if there is a delay of over five years in producing an item it should go back on the wish list.

I noticed that there were no LMS locomotives, coaches or freight stock in the top 50 for each category. This contrasts with the early 1950s when the LMS and LNER dominated Hornby Dublo and the LMS dominated Tri-ang.

• RMweb Gold

Can we have a category next year for stuff not yet delivered despite being promised for the last 5 years by Bachmann, to be made by other companies who might actually be able to get a model to market in my lifetime?

Hello Johnster

Many thanks for the comments.

Although we won't add a category as above (although we appreciate it was no doubt tongue-in-cheek), we always review what has - or has not - come to market after being announced. The Wickham Railbus and Class 116/125 went back in this year.

Interesting that we (collectively) do seem to like oddities and one-offs. And have something of a penchant for bananas, too!

There's surprisingly little in the top 50 that I would rush to purchase (or, indeed, voted for), but I'd buy a Sentinel railcar!

• RMweb Gold

Great poll - already looking forward to that Rapido Sentinal railcar. Not sure whether to go for a Neptune, Trafalgar, or Tally Ho.

Suggestion: next year why not include a suggestions box right at the bottom, so people can add all kinds of sensible (ho ho!) thoughts as to what could be added to the subsequent years' poll. It might diffuse the 'I couldn't find X or Y' brigade because they had just been given the opportunity to offload their grievance as to it's absence. Whether the Poll Team concede to actually adding it is another matter entirely. 

Hello Jim

Many thanks for writing.

We did have a 'suggestions box' in 2012 but it creates an unruly mess to try to sort out! In whatever thread we create here (and in other places) we are always keen to state that we will accept suggestions but we prefer them in the style that voters can see in The Guide:

A clear heading

Some text (a few bullet points is fine)

A link or two (to help us ensure we understand the suggestion)

• RMweb Gold

I ordered my LSWR brake van from Kernow in 2014 and I am looking forward to receiving it. I think that if there is a delay of over five years in producing an item it should go back on the wish list.

Hello Robin

As noted to Johnster in my post #61, we always review any 'delayed' items each and take them on their own merits. Where needed, we email companies for information.

I wonder how many people will be rushing to buy the Metropolitan stock that they voted for. I only bought a Metropolitan BoBo after Hattons offered it for sale at a deep discount. It would be nice to have some coaches to go with it and a steam engine to join it but they will look a bit out of place on my Southern layout.

Hornby did produce some SR banana vans many years ago and I did vote for some more in this poll. The bananas arrived at Southampton docks so they would be useful for Southern layouts and interesting for spectators at an exhibition.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby did produce some SR banana vans many years ago and I did vote for some more in this poll. The bananas arrived at Southampton docks so they would be useful for Southern layouts and interesting for spectators at an exhibition.

Hello Robin

Very true. Below is an extract from The Guide text for Banana Vans.

A 2pp article entitled ‘Bananas Galore’ appeared in the June 1954 issue of Trains Illustrated. It said that 2000+ banana vans were despatched weekly from ports around the country.

• RMweb Gold

Another great poll and as always, well organised and comprehensive. Many thanks to Brian and the team.

I did find myself voting for every first generation DMU on list, yet my no 1 wish list item for all stock is a class 120 Swindon DMU. In future polls is there any opportunity to give extra weighting to your most wanted item? I've religiously voted for the class 120 every year, and no manufacturer has yet taken the bait.

I guess as soon as I make a start on my two craftsman kits, then it will happen.

Neil

• Like 2

I will still keep on voting for an NLR 1F tank as long as it's on the wishlist (78 votes)

Your post "inspired" me to look at which of my voted for items had the fewest overall numbers !

Oh dear !

LSWR Drummond D15 4-4-0 (30463-30472)  -  85 votes !  (And, as stated above, I thought there was quite a movement for them).  Still at least 84 other people have false hopes.

• RMweb Gold

There was a pretty strong hint, a year or so back that GWR 813 was being considered for rtr.

The question is would be would it be an 'as preserved' 813, or a class 645 as built, or a class 645 as modified?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another great poll and as always, well organised and comprehensive. Many thanks to Brian and the team.

I did find myself voting for every first generation DMU on list, yet my no 1 wish list item for all stock is a class 120 Swindon DMU. In future polls is there any opportunity to give extra weighting to your most wanted item? I've religiously voted for the class 120 every year, and no manufacturer has yet taken the bait.

I guess as soon as I make a start on my two craftsman kits, then it will happen.

Neil

Hello Neil

Very many thanks for the comments - appreciated as ever!

We have in the past looked at 'weighting' and undertook a small off-line dummy run between ourselves - but we found it only added difficulty to thinking about our choices and didn't serve any overall purpose. Sometimes less is more, and our 'Purpose' always keeps us on track.

Guaranteed that a Class 120 will appear as soon as you start the kits!

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Below is what we say in The Guide. I will put on the Agenda that we might need to be more specific in the title as some won't read the Guide.

Port Talbot 0-6-0ST No.26 (GWR 813)

Built in 1901, one of a class of six on the Port Talbot Railway, this loco was sold in 1934 and went to Backworth Colliery. It was withdrawn by the National Coal Board around 1967 and was preserved on the Severn Valley Railway (SVR).

• Like 1

Your post "inspired" me to look at which of my voted for items had the fewest overall numbers !

Oh dear !

LSWR Drummond D15 4-4-0 (30463-30472)  -  85 votes !  (And, as stated above, I thought there was quite a movement for them).  Still at least 84 other people have false hopes.

I played that game, too. I was unsurprised to see lovely M&GN stock (and locos) towards the bottom of their respective lists, alas, but thrilled to see 188 votes for an LNER 6-wheeled BZ. This would be an essential addition for most M&GN scenes, given their proclivity for running 3-set passengers trains without a brake coach but, instead, one of these. Absolutely distinctive.

The 6-wheeled Stove R produced a while ago which might be considered a sort-of acceptable stand-in is, for me, a profoundly unsatisfactory 00 model, with its brakes sticking far out from the wheels in a completely distracting manner, presumably to accommodate people using different gauge track (so maybe those weren't even 00 models at all, in the literal sense?).

Anyway, I would very much welcome a BZ. 

Paul

Edited by Fenman