Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Results - The Wishlist Poll 2018

I am surprised that the 00 model railway manufacturers do not take note of what is happening in other scales. For instance no-one has produced a ready to run Southern Q class in 00 gauge yet Ace Trains made a very successful 0 gauge model which is illustrated here.

The Q class is eleventh in the 2018 poll and has constantly achieved a high rating. Wills and later Crownline mad 00 gauge kits which also sold well.

I am very pleased with my 0 gauge model which I can attach 48 goods wagons and leave to run all day.

post-17621-0-48958000-1542023012_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I would have thought he meant a GWR 813. Or he would have put 645/Modified.

It's a bit like asking for a Castle but the one with 4-6-2 wheel arrangement. Which isn't a Castle then.

Hello everyone

Below is what we say in The Guide. I will put on the Agenda that we might need to be more specific in the title as some won't read the Guide.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

Port Talbot 0-6-0ST No.26 (GWR 813)

Built in 1901, one of a class of six on the Port Talbot Railway, this loco was sold in 1934 and went to Backworth Colliery. It was withdrawn by the National Coal Board around 1967 and was preserved on the Severn Valley Railway (SVR).

Thank you.  What the guide says is why I did not actually vote for it, but it is now listed as a class 645.  As I am about to modify a Shapeways 850 to a 645 I will have no fear of an RTR one suddenly appearing.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Brian,

Any chance of finding out how many people participated in the Poll this time and how it compares. This poll has been done much later in the year than others as well, do people think that had any effect?

Thanks in advance.

Hello David

Reported at the foot of each of the three Results PDFs at #2. (Viz 2537).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Brian and team for this fantastic piece of work, I find the results across the years particularly interesting.

I can understand why the so-called oddballs are rising up, the experience of the last few years is that such items, when of a high quality, sell well enough to cover the cost of development and manufacture. I get the impression that there are many more smaller layouts being built as money and space both become tight, you can justify (well almost) an oddball on a small layout.

It is also sadly true that DMUs and EMUs are a much higher risk for the manufacturer, certainly so if they consist of more than two cars. That will not stop me voting for a 442 even if I doubt it will ever appear in my lifetime!

I am sure the manufacturers will find it useful, especially those that do not appear to use their reps to collect views from the people who actually sell their products to the enthusiast.

all the very best

Godfrey

Edited by Godfrey Glyn
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Some observations....

1. Nearly 3000 hits on this thread already.

2. Nearly 1000 downloads of the Most Wanted Result PDF.

3. Four pages into this thread already 

4. Eighty-two posts.

And not a single use of the term 'Froth'!

Are we finally winning?!

• Like 1

I am surprised that the 00 model railway manufacturers do not take note of what is happening in other scales. For instance no-one has produced a ready to run Southern Q class in 00 gauge yet Ace Trains made a very successful 0 gauge model which is illustrated here...

What suggests to you that they don't?

Consider the competitive position in the two scales: OO has three well received SR RTR 0-6-0 models available, including the (ground shakingly superior) development of the Q; and a total of 10 - plus two more announced - RTR 0-6-0s available, for those who might be happy with any of the breed. How does that compare to O?

Further factors

SR group and BR 2-6-0's appear to be in demand as well. Only one SR type available in RTR OO at present.

There isn't a large SR group tank engine available in RTR OO, and at least three wheel arrangements not available in RTR OO tank engines.

So where do you make the decision on investing the research and tooling?

• RMweb Premium

Hello everyone

Some observations....

4. Eighty-two posts.

Are we finally winning?!

Be very careful making comments like that, people might start to think of some "froth"! 

On a more serious note, many thanks to all the team for the amount of hard work that must go into such a comprehensive poll. I think you made the right choice not doing N gauge, OO9 or Industrial locomotives but hope that other teams can be put together to do the same job in their sphere as the OO team have done. I know that a poll on Industrial types is in progress and I hope that can in years to come become as well run as this poll has been for the last few years.

• Like 1

Consider the competitive position in the two scales: OO has three well received SR RTR 0-6-0 models available, including the (ground shakingly superior) development of the Q; and a total of 10 - plus two more announced - RTR 0-6-0s available, for those who might be happy with any of the breed. How does that compare to O?

Further factors

SR group and BR 2-6-0's appear to be in demand as well. Only one SR type available in RTR OO at present.

There isn't a large SR group tank engine available in RTR OO, and at least three wheel arrangements not available in RTR OO tank engines.

So where do you make the decision on investing the research and tooling?

I suspect, too, that different scales have different customer preference profiles, which may make it difficult to directly extrapolate demand from one scale to another.

For example, one of the big advantages of N gauge is that the scale makes it possible to have scale-length trains and realistic sweeping curves in a space that's well within the limits of most clubs, or even a householder with a reasonably-sized shed or spare room. Fewer people have space for that kind of thing in OO, and even fewer in O.

A practical consequence of that is that most N layouts at exhibitions tend to be big roundy-roundies, OO tends to be fairly evenly balanced between roundy-roundy and shunting planks, and in O, the planks predominate. There are exceptions, of course, but as a rule of thumb it's generally true.

But a knock-on consequence of that is than N gauge modellers are more likely to buy "main line" locos than OO modellers, and even more so than O modellers. Modern image main line multiple units (eg, Pendolinos and Voyagers) are very common in N, less so in OO and I've never seen one in O. On the other hand, I've seen a  much greater variety of small 0-6-0 and 0-4-0 locos on O than I have in either OO or N.

So manufacturers can't just look at what sells well in one scale and assume it will also sell well in another. They need to take into account the types of products that already sell well in different scales.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mark & 34

Back in 2014, I ran a 'train length survey' on what was the old MREmag. There were 119 respondents as below:

12 coaches = 8 respondents

11 coaches = 4

10 coaches = 15

9 coaches = 10

8 coaches = 19

7 coaches = 16

6 coaches = 21

5 coaches = 10

4 coaches = 10

3 coaches = 5

2 coaches = 1

1 coach = 0

Brian (not on behalf of The Poll team)

Interesting results. Fitting mostly what I was expecting. However I was surprised to see the Hush Hush drop down. In the past it had practically been number one.

I get the impression that interest is waning in the big four one offs like the Hush hush, Turbomotive and even the great bear (which appeared before the big four).

Shows a strong demographic with BR and post steam types as popular as ever but some of the more general use pre groupers (that normally make it to BR) coming to the fore.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting results. Fitting mostly what I was expecting. However I was surprised to see the Hush Hush drop down. In the past it had practically been number one.

I get the impression that interest is waning in the big four one offs like the Hush hush, Turbomotive and even the great bear (which appeared before the big four).

Shows a strong demographic with BR and post steam types as popular as ever but some of the more general use pre groupers (that normally make it to BR) coming to the fore.

Hello JSpencer

Hush Hush has actually gone up. This is how she has fared:

2013 - 12th LNER Loco

2014 - Most-wanted LNER loco - but not in The Top 50

2015 - 7th LNER Loco

2016 - 5th LNER Loco

2018 - The most-wanted LNER Loco and 19th overall (in The Top 50)

Turbomotive has steadily climbed up and is now 6th most-wanted LMS Loco.

Great Bear has also climbed steadily and has entered The Top 50 for the first time this year.

Hope that is of use for you.

Edited by BMacdermott

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Some observations....

4. Eighty-two posts.

Are we finally winning?!

Edited by tomparryharry

• RMweb Gold

Some interesting posts from the last fortnight. Firstly, the news about the EM-gauge Peco track, and the 00 Polls.

I will assume that at some point in the future, there 'might' be am EM-style Poll, as the scale remains the same. After all, this is RTR.

One thing that does interest me, is the possible rise of niche style commissions. After all, if a high-polling example fails to make it from the poll to the shops, are we looking at alternative avenues?

If Rapido can produce GNR No1, then Great Bear, perhaps? Finally, how long before we see an EM-only model locomotive?

Just thinking.....

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

I will assume that at some point in the future, there 'might' be am EM-style Poll, as the scale remains the same. After all, this is RTR.

Ian.

Hello Ian

Not on our agenda, I'm sorry to say. It has been, but no more (as have 0, 009, etc etc). We are focussing on 'core content'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello JSpencer

Hush Hush has actually gone up. This is how she has fared:

2013 - 12th LNER Loco

2014 - Most-wanted LNER loco - but not in The Top 50

2015 - 7th LNER Loco

2016 - 5th LNER Loco

2018 - The most-wanted LNER Loco and 19th overall (in The Top 50)

Turbomotive has steadily climbed up and is now 6th most-wanted LMS Loco.

Great Bear has also climbed steadily and has entered The Top 50 for the first time this year.

Hope that is of use for you.

That analysis does rather imply that the market increasingly fancies exotic one-offs over humble but everyday classes. It used to be the case that those seeking a “balanced” stud would opt for a few of each class commonly used in their part of the country, while the everyday is now less of a concern for many mainstream modellers, due to adequate RTR provision, at least for many Big Four or diesel era layouts. Changed times.

• RMweb Gold

I found the poll results interesting and I just wondered what the age demographic is when voting? I’m fairly certain that people over a certain age would be looking for more pre grouping, grouping and BR in the steam era where as the younger generation for the modern scene of sectorisation and privatisation.

I’m in my late 50’s and don’t remember BR steam except those that have been preserved though I do remember BR blue. We have to remember that there are people who voted who don’t remember that or even sectorisation. I also wondered if manufacturers read these polls and take notice of them?

I found the poll results interesting and I just wondered what the age demographic is when voting? I’m fairly certain that people over a certain age would be looking for more pre grouping, grouping and BR in the steam era where as the younger generation for the modern scene of sectorisation and privatisation.

Age vs era has been discussed to death but it always rears its ugly head. Ultimately there never seems to be much correlation... There are all sorts of reasons people choose subjects to model, some older modellers enjoy modelling the railways of today, some younger modellers enjoy modelling the railways of 60+ years ago =)

• Like 1