Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Results - The Wishlist Poll 2018

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian

I was thinking the Stanier class 3 tank.

The other class on my mind is the 350 hp shunter. Which is also the only diesel class of over 100 so far not manufactured. Please don't say they look too much like a BR class 08, different cabs, different buffer beams, different engine room doors, different size wheels, different boxes on the running plate, different arrangement of the lights, different hand rails, I think more visual differences than a Saint and Grange. If someone to say to a GWR modeller that both looked like a Hall and there are models of halls the GWR modeller would not be happy. Back to the class 11 they also had quite a wide variety liveries. Oh, one more thing after upsetting the GWR modellers, the six EE engined shunters built for the WR, delivered in GWR green with British Railways in GWR type face and cast number plates, are identical to the LMS and Dutch ones.

Didn't think about the Austin Sevens mainly because they have never fitted into any of my plans, strange really as I do like the outline of most Deeley/Fowler locos.

Hello Clive

We listed both those shunters in 2018. The LMS one has been listed since 2013 and has been consistently Middle Polling but dropped to the upper echelons of Low Polling in 2018.

The GWR examples were listed 'new' for 2018 along with five other shunters. All those six new entries found themselves Low Polling and the GWR ones ended up fifth from bottom of the overall results.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Congratulations to Accurascale (and Revolution Trains) on the announcement of the Mk5 and Mk5a Stock today.

Both were entered 'new' in The 00 Wishlist Poll 2018 and both were High Polling, coming in around the Top 100 mark.

Items so far announced since publication of the 2018 Poll Results are:

2 - Top 50

6 - High Polling

4 - Middle Polling

0 - Low Polling

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Congratulations to Accurascale on the announcement of the PFA.

Although the vehicle was Low Polling, it missed being up in the Middle Polling segment by just three votes.

(Whilst writing, we haven't reported on the recent Cavalex announcements of Class 91 and Mk4 Stock. We believe the go-ahead is subject to advance orders.)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Rails have just announced an ex-SECR Box Van, Diag.1424.

As there were so many Pre-grouping types to list, we showed SECR Wagons, Vans & Brake Vans as one generic heading - this polled in The Top 50.

We wish Rails every success with what appears to be the first of many planned models.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Is there or will there be a 2019 Wishlist Poll?

Other than a malachite 4SUB for my collectors closet, there isn't anything new I have left to wish for. So many things I never dreamed would be produced have now become OO/4mm reality.

Oh maybe Hornby could issue a properly liveried SR Malachite restaurant car (not the BR livery).  But that's not a new model.  Oh,  and what would be a new model would be an original 1945-46 air streamed West Country with original cab. 

• RMweb Gold

Hello Autocoach

The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019 will be running from early on Monday 14 October to midnight on Saturday 2 November. You will see details nearer the time up at the top of the page in the 'banner headline' area where Andy normally makes general announcements.

Additionally, we will - as usual - be posting Advance Notice of The Poll which will give you full detail of what has changed and what is being listed new this year.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

On 17/09/2019 at 00:57, autocoach said:

Is there or will there be a 2019 Wishlist Poll?

Other than a malachite 4SUB for my collectors closet, there isn't anything new I have left to wish for.

Delighted to hear your needs are now nearly all satisfied.

For the rest of us there are huge areas almost untouched - Scotland, big gaps in the South East to name just two.

This year's poll will be as hotly followed and contributed to as ever.

We thank the Team and look forward to 14/10/2019 !

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Forester said:

For the rest of us there are huge areas almost untouched - Scotland, big gaps in the South East to name just two.

This year's poll will be as hotly followed and contributed to as ever.

We thank the Team and look forward to 14/10/2019 !

Correct.

Hardly anything available for the LNWR who was the biggest company in the country. Then add the NER, L&Y, MR, CR, NBR, GCR, etc. You are talking about hundreds of classes consisting of thousands of locomotives (not counting rolling stock). Where are all the 0-6-0s, 0-8-0s and 4-4-0s? It's the ordinary locomotives that are missing.

Even the GWR is poorly served by RTR as many of the available models are old toolings. Many of which aren't even available as kits.

Maybe some people can correctly model a railway with two or three locomotives and a few RTR carriages and wagons, but most of us can't.

I feel we've got years left in the poll as they can only produce so much each year and eventually available models need a refresh. Tastes also change. Currently industrial railways are flavour of the month, five years time it will be probably be something else. I think the poll is a good barometer of what's current.

Jason

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Forester said:

Now that I've started work on a Wisbech and Upwell themed layout, using the Rapido J70s, I'd quite like some more stock to go alongside them. I know that Eastern Region isn't as badly served as some parts of the country, but it's still not the best populated with suitable models. And it's an underrated part of the country; an ex-GER BLT has all the potential rural charm of its more cliched GWR equivalent. 

An E4 would be nice, and neatly fits the "small and quirky" loco category that's often more popular with modellers than it was in reality (although in this case, it was pretty ubiquitous on GER metals through to WWII and lasted on parts of them until the end of the 50s). But a bigger need, at least in the short term, is some more GER-originated rolling stock. I'm not holding out for W&U carriages, but a GER brake van and some GER designed open wagons would be very useful.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Where are all the 0-6-0s, 0-8-0s and 4-4-0s? It's the ordinary locomotives that are missing...

Not a single solitary one for the most important railway in the world. (That'll be the GNR.)

47 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

...Even the GWR is poorly served by RTR as many of the available models are old toolings...

Alternatively they had all the early luck, and now should wait patiently for a century while everywhere else is dealt with.

2 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Not a single solitary one for the most important railway in the world. (That'll be the GNR.)

Alternatively they had all the early luck, and now should wait patiently for a century while everywhere else is dealt with.

Nope. The LNWR was and still is the most important railway in the world serving all the major cities in the UK including Ireland and even Scotland via the CR.

And it was the first proper railway despite what those in the NE think.

They also had more locomotives of a single class than most other railways even had locomotives.

DX Goods - 943.

You could also have the slight bigger versions. That's 1752 locomotives.

17" Coal Engine - 499.

18" Goods "Cauliflower" - 310

Jason

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Nope. The LNWR was and still is the most important railway in the world serving all the major cities in the UK including Ireland and even Scotland via the CR.

And it was the first proper railway despite what those in the NE think.

They also had more locomotives of a single class than most other railways even had locomotives.

DX Goods - 943.

You could also have the slight bigger versions. That's 1752 locomotives.

17" Coal Engine - 499.

18" Goods "Cauliflower" - 310

Jason

Maybe they had too many locos, were they not very good so they needed lots?

I mean, they even named one class 'The Problem class', indicates they knew something about their locos  :jester:

All joking aside, the LNWR is probably quite well catered for by London Road models but a few more RTR would be nice.

For Bachmann it would be wonderful well to dip into - lots of locos and stock to develop hint hint

• Agree 1

Okay, 

I started this by adding a few "wishlist" items to a simple question about the 2019 Poll.  I apologize as it immediately opened a small surge of desperate needs from other modelers.

My modest suggestion to the moderators would be to lock this topic NOW.  

Apologies again but there seems to be great pressure behind a dam to express what we desire often knowing it will never come to pass.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, autocoach said:

suggestion to the moderators would be to lock this topic NOW

We will close it at the appropriate time. Others may have procedural questions which your demand may preclude. Leave the individual 'wants' until you can vote.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, autocoach said:

Okay, 

I started this by adding a few "wishlist" items to a simple question about the 2019 Poll.  I apologize as it immediately opened a small surge of desperate needs from other modelers.

My modest suggestion to the moderators would be to lock this topic NOW.  

Apologies again but there seems to be great pressure behind a dam to express what we desire often knowing it will never come to pass.

It's alright, I wasn't really wishlisting and certainly not desperate for anything. Just trying to point out there are lots of prototypes and railways not even touched yet.

I'll also take any opportunity to wind up our neighbours on the other side of the Pennines. :friends:

Jason

• Funny 1

7 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Maybe they had too many locos, were they not very good so they needed lots?

I mean, they even named one class 'The Problem class', indicates they knew something about their locos  :jester:

All joking aside, the LNWR is probably quite well catered for by London Road models but a few more RTR would be nice.

For Bachmann it would be wonderful well to dip into - lots of locos and stock to develop hint hint

Different eras have different definitions of words or phrases. For example, one definition of a "problem" is "an inquiry starting from given conditions to investigate or demonstrate a fact, result, or law". The LNWR also had Experiments, Precedent, Precursors and other locomotive class names, often quite different to those used by other railway companies.

The LNWR has been well served by a number of 4mm loco, carriage and wagon manufacturers over the years, including M&L, Brassmasters, GEM, Millholme, , Proscale, K's, Jidenco, Mercian, DJH, Ratio, Chowbent/Wizard, Stevenson Carriages,  PC and others, although LRM are the most prolific 4mm supplier. Of course the drawback for many people is that these are all kit producers. Perhaps it has been these wide coverage that has made the LNWR seem less of a market opportunity to the RTR manufacturers as those really wanting to model the LNWR have built their own stock from kits, although that is probably changing as fewer people want to make their own locos and rolling stock.

It can't help that so few LNWR locos were preserved, thus removing the opportunity to 3D scan them for RTR production. The only RTR LNWR locos  available to date, both by Bachmann (and one in LMS condition only) are both based on preserved locos. The LNWR carriage livery would also be difficult to produce in 4mm, although not impossible, but probably at a fairly high cost. Therefore I don't see much chance of anything beyond a RTR version of a Precedent/Jumbo (as Hardwicke is available for scanning at the NRM) and possibly a couple of carriage diagrams to run with it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sorry for going off topic.

But in the future we'll possibly have both a George The Fifth and a Claughton to measure. The first is quite far into the build.

https://newprincegeorgesteam.org.uk/

I haven't got details of the Claughton, but I believe it is people who were originally involved in the Patriot Project a few years ago. Not The Unknown Warrior, the previous attempt in the 1980s.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

I am just catching up with this flurry of overnight comments. I think we are all agreed that we should stay on topic (Poll Results 2018) as far as is reasonably practical.

With that in mind, I thought you might like a reminder of the results of the category Locos: LMS & Constituents. I hope it is attached - I couldn't open it to check before sending.

A few matters to note...

More than 100 LMS & constituents classes were taken into BR at Nationalisation. In 2018 we listed 55, of which six were 'new' that year. The Princess (182 votes - second overall loco in the category) has been announced by Hornby and taken out of the 2019 Poll list.

No 'new' entries got into the High Polling segment (dark grey).

The MR/LMS Johnson 'Spinner' 4-2-2 was entered new by The 00 Poll Team itself and was the highest 'new' entry, landing in the Middle Polling segment (mid-grey). Not 'seeking gold stars' there - just stating a fact that we saw it as a possible valid new entry based on the relative popularity of certain other 'celebrity old timers'.

The other five 'new' entries to the category all ended up in the Low Polling segment (light grey). Four were voter suggestions; The 00 Poll Team itself entered the Furness Railway loco as part of our attempts to represent all pre-Grouping companies. 

For 2019, you will have 58 locos in the category to vote for - of those, four are 'new' this year.

As noted earlier, we will be publishing Advance Notice of The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019 - probably early October.

Results - LMS & Constituents (2018).pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

As previewed, I have posted a new thread entitled Advance Notice - The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019.

Note to Mods: Could I ask you to 'lock off' this thread now as I will take up any comments and queries on the new one?

Many thanks

Brian (on behalf of the The 00 Poll Team)