Setrack and Streamline track lengths

Budgie

• RMweb Gold

Seeing as the standard baseboard size is 4' x 2', why don't Peco offer their track in 2' and possibly 4' lengths, in addition to all the other stuff that they do already? It seems odd to me that to run a straight track across one of these boards I need to cut 1' from a 3' length to add to another 3' length, and so on for multiple tracks on multiple boards.

• RMweb Gold

Yard lengths are bad enough in the post, unless you buy a boxful. Couriers etc would make an even bigger mess of 4’ lengths. Not everyone can collect their track to take it safely home, especially with the paucity of modelshops these days.

I have started using 3' boards instead of 4' boards. They may take a little more work with board joins & wiring but are a lot lighter/easier to work with than 4' boards.

Even though a length of track would fit almost exactly to 1 board, I still use at least 2 sections to cope with expansion.

• RMweb Gold

Really? Where has this come from? My 3ft long board is clearly 'non-standard'.

It comes from reading many layout articles in magazines. It appears that the majority of baseboards are 4 x 2. I myself have boards of various sizes like 5 x 2, 6 x 2 and 8 x 2, but the majority of mine are 4 x 2.

• RMweb Gold

It comes from reading many layout articles in magazines. It appears that the majority of baseboards are 4 x 2. I myself have boards of various sizes like 5 x 2, 6 x 2 and 8 x 2, but the majority of mine are 4 x 2.

4 x 2 is a dimension easily cut from the standard 8 x 4 sheet without waste. Not difficult to see why it's popular.