Inglenooks - options for picking the sort?

• RMweb Gold

I know how the idea of an Inglenook shunting puzzle works and am considering the possibility of a quick build so there is a shunting puzzle layout on the SLS stand to try and draw in the punters. (I do have a suitable base pending currently built for an on-hold project and enough track, locos/wagons etc. in stock). 

Drawing from a shuffled set of cards and/or disc counters seems to be the established sorting method for home use but is liable to be problematic at a show (Wear on the cards, dropping losing counters etc.).  

Do any of those already running Inglenooks know if there is an app or similar that does it on a laptop or i-pad?

I've posted the question as even if we don't progress the idea now knowing the answer to this, especially if such a beast exists, will be useful for the future and may help other modellers too.

On our old inglnook layout "Ultramarine Works" we used a bag of coloured barrels which the public picked the wagons had matching barrels. Once the order was picked we put the barrels on the loading dock next to the dispatch siding.

I'm planning to use a similar system on my next layout.

Marc

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I know how the idea of an Inglenook shunting puzzle works and am considering the possibility of a quick build so there is a shunting puzzle layout on the SLS stand to try and draw in the punters. (I do have a suitable base pending currently built for an on-hold project and enough track, locos/wagons etc. in stock). 

Drawing from a shuffled set of cards and/or disc counters seems to be the established sorting method for home use but is liable to be problematic at a show (Wear on the cards, dropping losing counters etc.).  

Do any of those already running Inglenooks know if there is an app or similar that does it on a laptop or i-pad?

I've posted the question as even if we don't progress the idea now knowing the answer to this, especially if such a beast exists, will be useful for the future and may help other modellers too.

I took the plunge and the basic track is down as of tonight. Should be ready for going on the van on Thursday, as hoping to have a couple of days GMRC style on basic scenery and it will be on Stand B34 at Warley if all goes according to plan. More on my web-blog at https://www.island-publishing.co.uk/2018/11/18/model-railway-update/

Edited by john new

I took the plunge and the basic track is down as of tonight. Should be ready for going on the van on Thursday, as hoping to have a couple of days GMRC style on basic scenery and it will be on Stand B34 at Warley if all goes according to plan. More on my web-blog at https://www.island-publishing.co.uk/2018/11/18/model-railway-update/

I produced a windows program a while back which was designed for an Inglenook layout

• RMweb Gold

I produced a windows program a while back which was designed for an Inglenook layout

Interesting. Do you have a link to it please?

Is there a Mac (or run in a browser) option? I still have an old Windows laptop but it is on Win 7 and likely to remain so. I may get Parellels in due course for the Mac but not yet had need to get it.