Sounds for a second Class 68, who should I get it from

Paul80

Hi Guys

I am asking for some recomendations for a sound supplier.

I have 2 class 68's one already has sound supplied by Youchoos and I fancy fitting sound to the second one, but as they will both be used at the same time I don't think it will work if I have the same soundset running on both.

Anyone got any recommendations.

Thanks

Hi Guys

I am asking for some recomendations for a sound supplier.

I have 2 class 68's one already has sound supplied by Youchoos and I fancy fitting sound to the second one, but as they will both be used at the same time I don't think it will work if I have the same soundset running on both.

Anyone got any recommendations.

Thanks

Dapol use the Legomanbiffo project with poor speakers, What speakers are you using?

As they are 'Very' important as the project was recorded on the mainline with a 1000 Ton train.     Charlie

Edited by charliepetty

Why will they not work together with the same sound project? I assume you are actually using DCC. I believe most ESU projects will work with DC but you won't be able to use any of the features.

I believe locos which should sound the same will need matching projects, otherwise your 68s will sound like different classes.

Assuming your existing decoder is a LokSound v4, You could always try one of Biff's, decide which one you like best then get the other re-blown to match.

What I was trying to avoid was both sounding identical which even in real life every loco will have its own unique sound, so I was hoping two different sound producers might make one sound slightly different from the other.

But then again if everyone used the same loco for their sound recordings maybe there will not be enough difference to make it worth while.

Also as the two are going to only be used in Nuclear flask duty perhaps sound in only one might be more practical, and cost effective.

Thanks

What I was trying to avoid was both sounding identical which even in real life every loco will have its own unique sound, so I was hoping two different sound producers might make one sound slightly different from the other.

But then again if everyone used the same loco for their sound recordings maybe there will not be enough difference to make it worth while.

Also as the two are going to only be used in Nuclear flask duty perhaps sound in only one might be more practical, and cost effective.

Thanks

The Legomanbiffo Class 68 with good speakers I can assure you will sound different from the You Choos one.    Charlie.

PPS:  Get one and try it, if not happy return it for a full refund.   

• Like 1

Just wondering, don't know if this is possible, but is it possible through CV adjustments to delay the startup time from when F1 is pressed to when the startup sequence starts

What I was thinking was as the two loco's will have the same address and one will be speed matched to the other, I have done this with two Zimo decoders in use at the moment so should still be able to match the Zimo sound to the ESU sound, but it would more realistic if when I press F1 for engine start if one would start then some seconds later the second one can start

I know with Zimo Sound decoders it can be done but must be done when the sound set is loaded, can the start be delayed with the ESU decoder, by just adjustment of as CV or is it only available if the sound file is set for it, or if it can be done at all.

Sorry for all the questions.

Just wondering, don't know if this is possible, but is it possible through CV adjustments to delay the startup time from when F1 is pressed to when the startup sequence starts

What I was thinking was as the two loco's will have the same address and one will be speed matched to the other, I have done this with two Zimo decoders in use at the moment so should still be able to match the Zimo sound to the ESU sound, but it would more realistic if when I press F1 for engine start if one would start then some seconds later the second one can start

I know with Zimo Sound decoders it can be done but must be done when the sound set is loaded, can the start be delayed with the ESU decoder, by just adjustment of as CV or is it only available if the sound file is set for it, or if it can be done at all.

Sorry for all the questions.

It would have to be done in the sound file.

Its a delay file before start up begins so can't be adjusted by a CV.

Wiggy.

• RMweb Gold

I have a factory fitted Dapol 68 and it have to admit that I’m disappointed as it sounds more like a steam engine “ chuff” than the deep base sound that 68’s have. When standing next to them whilst they pull away, it feels like their going to move your internal organs about inside your chest lol.

Does anyone have a suggested speaker to replace the factory fitted one?

I have a factory fitted Dapol 68 and it have to admit that I’m disappointed as it sounds more like a steam engine “ chuff” than the deep base sound that 68’s have. When standing next to them whilst they pull away, it feels like their going to move your internal organs about inside your chest lol.

Does anyone have a suggested speaker to replace the factory fitted one?

This is exactly what we found before we started fitting them with better speakers. 68 engines are deeply bassy and if you play the sound through ‘normal’ speakers, and even speakers that five years ago were considered to be state of the art, the results are disappointing. Change to an EM2 (if you don’t mind a bit of milling) or a Zimo double-dumbo (if you don’t) and the difference is remarkable. I would recommend the EM2 every single time for the 68 though.

Bif

No such option for us n-gauge modellers though it might sound good but looks a bit silly with an EM2 duct taped on top ;). I suppose I could put a zimo double dumbo in a towed wagon permanently connect, but think I will leave those sort of bodges to the experts at the place whose name rhymes with BRSignals :) (other bodgers are available)

Edited by Paul80