Gresley A1s / A3s how meny have you got.

DonnyRailMan

• RMweb Gold

Just the one, the obligatory full fat Hornby 60103 Flying Scotsman with DCC and TTS sound. That’s all I need lol.

Edited by jools1959

Minoru.....ah yes, the Hornby A3 where the footplate starts to bend upwards over the cylinders.

I wonder if there were any 'perfect' models?

Ray

Just the one, "Flying Fox" with a lovely straight footplate. Why oh why are the later A3s still being released with the ski ramp? Hornby know about it, but they still churn them out. It beggars belief!!!?

Tod

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mi fingers are a bit dislecsic LOL.

Ah, that's a PITA.  Spelling doesn't matter much when it comes to your modelling, though!  My fingers aren't dislexic (don't know if your way of spelling it or mine is right) but have gone a bit wobbly in my old age and I've had to give up using scale couplings and gone back to tension locks.  Can't do wagon lettering any more either.

No LNER locos on my South Wales BLT, but several wagons and a CCT.  I probably have more panniers than the traffic needs, though, a problem I can live with!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thirteen on the layout and going to Warley

Two more in need of attention

Two analogue ones which run on the club layout

three LNER ones in the showcase.  Total 20.

Of course these don't count because they are all N-gauge......

post-13358-0-37148700-1542146764_thumb.jpg

The picture shows them when they still only numbered thirteen (back row) together with A1, A2, A2/2, A4 and Brits on the front row

Les

• Like 3

Thirteen on the layout and going to Warley

Two more in need of attention

Two analogue ones which run on the club layout

three LNER ones in the showcase.  Total 20.

Of course these don't count because they are all N-gauge......

attachicon.gifIMG_5453.JPG

The picture shows them when they still only numbered thirteen (back row) together with A1, A2, A2/2, A4 and Brits on the front row

Les

Nice collecton there.

I would answer my own question - Hornby has made a number of 'good' A3s

I wonder if there were any 'perfect' models?

I guess you need to go back some ten years but I have lined up St Gatien, Ladas and Windsor Lad, as far as I can see, all with perfect running plates.

44985704825_2991c8342d_b.jpg

Hornby A3s - from the past - Windsor Lad R2341, St Gatien R2536 and Ladas R2617

• Like 4

I have 5, 6 if you count an old Tender Drive Flying Scotsman.  3 LNER Flying Fox, Isinglass (renamed FF), A3 Flyingscotsman, 2 BR Windsor Lad and Galtee More.

Was tempted by Minoru, but decided I have enough.  I thought I might improve the Tender drive model by detailing it, giving a loco drive chassis and adding a nice super detail tender which I have and renaming it.

Mark

I would answer my own question - Hornby has made a number of 'good' A3s I guess you need to go back some ten years but I have lined up St Gatien, Ladas and Windsor Lad, as far as I can see, all with perfect running plates.44985704825_2991c8342d_b.jpgHornby A3s - from the past - Windsor Lad R2341, St Gatien R2536 and Ladas R2617

Nice photo and setting.

• Like 1

In practical terms, none.

Though I do have a Triang-Hornby Flying Scotsman, with Glowing Firebox, and another Triang-Hornby Flying Scotsman chassis under a GBL Mallard body, but these live on a retro Super4 layout.

4 bodyshells in the scrap box including a "Gordon" conversion, and one on the wish list, Double Chimney, German deflectors, lowered lamp iron

and numberplate on the Smokebox door hinge. Its amazing how a bit of Swindon nouse transformed these ugly ducklings into Geese if not exactly swans.

Edited by DavidCBroad

4 bodyshells in the scrap box including a "Gordon" conversion, and one on the wish list, Double Chimney, German deflectors, lowered lamp iron

and numberplate on the Smokebox door hinge. Its amazing how a bit of Swindon nouse transformed these ugly ducklings into Geese if not exactly swans.

The Great Western nouse, as you put it was nothing to do with the double chimneys> that was a result of Peter Townend proving to a sceptical higher management that his double-chimney A4s were sufficiently more economical than the single chimney ones that they paid for the fitting in very few weeks. At that time Headquaters at Crewe were proposing taking the double-chimneys off the four that had them.  One by-product of this was that A3s were able to run day after day on Type 4 diesel diagrams with the same amount of shed time as the diesels were supposed to have, only really being outclassed when the Deltics were made to work properly.

The guy from Swindon ACTUALLY introduced optical frame alignment techniques that allowed them to run more smoothly, and intermediate piston and valve examination and replacements allowing them to run higher milages between major overhauls without becoming as run down.

Similarly the guy sent from Doncaster to Swindon as a swap introduced draughting that worked properly to the Castles and Kings (and double chimneys) allowing them to perform vastly better in their dotage than they had been doing, and to run well on the cheaper muck that passed for coal than the premium stuff the GW had coddled them on.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1