Gresley A1s / A3s how meny have you got.

DonnyRailMan

3. All in LNER livery. A railroad Scotsman, I just couldn't say no to a brand new loco at £39.95. I've fitted an old margate tender top to it which has far superior lining than the railroad mess which has improved it's looks somewhat. The other two are Woolwinder and Firedussi, both ex Sir Nige 75th anniversary models purchased very cheaply indeed. I love the gloss green on them.

G'day Folks

I have 3 runners (I think) half a dozen chassis, a couple of bodies, which I am slowly putting back to working order. 

manna.

Runners are, Manna, Humorist, and and unnamed, Grand Parade.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I currently have nine.  Six of them have been renumbered/renamed to become Leicester Central or Neasden shedded loco’s in 1949 condition, either in Apple green BRITISH RAILWAYS or express blue livery, using Gay Crusader Or Book Law as the green donor, and the recently released Scotsman as the blue donor.  

Tenders swopped around as appropriate, and Book Law derivatives are converted to RHD... just need to convert their cab side cutouts to the small version now.

• RMweb Premium

Three

An original Hornby R855 Flying Scotsman

A later 1990s BR Flying Scotsman with Elephant Ears , still tender driven.

Another 1990s one Prince Palatine in BR early blue but with alternate body/tender to run in BR early green as Dick Turpin . Both with GNR pattern tenders

Have considered further LNER versions like Flying Fox , but its a "nice to have "and so far resisted

• 4 months later...

Is it me, or is the 'latest' Preserved BR Green Scotsman (R3443 and R3508TTS) fitted with an A4 dome on an A3 boiler? It should have an A3 dome which is set a little further back.

I noted that the otherwise excellently made R3099 and R3081 (A3 boiler/ LNER livery, as planned in 2011) have the same problem.

In all cases it seems that Hornby took the spec for R2441 (2004 Scotsman) and just changed the boiler to A3 washout plugs without make further changes.

EDIT - also the BR blue model above seems to have the same problem (A3 boiler with A4 dome), as does the Weathered BR Green 60103

The only one that was right with an A3 boiler was R3336, but this suffered the less excusable ski-jump running plate!

Edited by G-BOAF

Just one, R3439 "Woolwinder".  Mainly because I decided I should have "one" and that as Hattons were selling R3439 "open box" (evidently a mark on the boiler that I haven't spotted yet!) at a price inc delivery that was cheaper than the Railroad FS, I gave in and got one.

Nice model, any bumps in the running plate are equally undiscernable, definitely not as bad as the gold plated FS in the current Signal Box!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...