Printed Track and Points

Points (turnouts) can be pretty expensive, but you can always print your own.

post-25691-0-02489900-1541826353_thumb.jpg

Printed in PLA/PHA on your average filament printer. The rails are threaded through the chairs. The vee and wing rails are soldered to a FR4 "slab" which also connects them electrically.

• Like 3

Cor, that's a neat idea. Are you making the files available (for a price, I assume)?

STL attached. The rail is SMP Code 75 bullhead. It's a bit narrower than others. The scale is a bit unusual. It's 0.0123

Filament is Colorfabb PLA/PHA. I'm using a 0.2 mm extruder nozzle with 0.15 mm layers. Extruder 200C, heated glass bed 55C. It takes a while to print.

EDIT: STL is not attached. STLs are not allowed. PM me if you want it.

Edited by AndyID

EDIT: STL is not attached. STLs are not allowed. PM me if you want it.

Upload it as a txt file and change the type back to stl after downloading.

If you use battery powered trains you could print the rails as well.

...R

If you use battery powered trains you could print the rails as well.

...R

You can. This is one printed in Shapeways hi-fi resin.

post-25691-0-16813800-1541910460_thumb.jpg

And this is it with with conductive NS metal caps on the rails.

post-25691-0-71330600-1541910489_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Points (turnouts) can be pretty expensive, but you can always print your own.

attachicon.gifDSCN4156.JPG

Printed in PLA/PHA on your average filament printer. The rails are threaded through the chairs. The vee and wing rails are soldered to a FR4 "slab" which also connects them electrically.

Wow!

Very impressive. You will no doubt be aware that the EMGS has just announced that it is releasing 2 EM points and plain track through the Society’s trade. Quite a bit of the discussion around this has been the need for further points and crossings to expand the range but this would seem to offer an interesting alternative. Can you explain in a little more detail how you thread the rail for the V and frog into the track base.

Cheers,

Frank

Wow!

Very impressive. You will no doubt be aware that the EMGS has just announced that it is releasing 2 EM points and plain track through the Society’s trade. Quite a bit of the discussion around this has been the need for further points and crossings to expand the range but this would seem to offer an interesting alternative. Can you explain in a little more detail how you thread the rail for the V and frog into the track base.

Cheers,

Frank

Hi Frank,

This was designed using Templot. The wing rails are pre-formed using a printed paper template. I file a very small notch in one side of the rail's foot to focus the bends. I bend the rail with my fingers and adjust the angles to match the template.

Then I just weave the rail trough the chairs starting from the crossing end. That's from right to left in the first photo above. The chairs are quite capable of resisting the pressure exerted by the rail. It also helps that the 'A' chair (the one at tip of the Vee) is not included in the 3D print.

PLA/PHA filament seems to work well for this. Pure PLA isn't quite strong enough. I've tried PETG but it ended up a stringy mess :)  ABS might work too but I have not tried it.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Frank,

This was designed using Templot. The wing rails are pre-formed using a printed paper template. I file a very small notch in one side of the rail's foot to focus the bends. I bend the rail with my fingers and adjust the angles to match the template.

Then I just weave the rail trough the chairs starting from the crossing end. That's from right to left in the first photo above. The chairs are quite capable of resisting the pressure exerted by the rail. It also helps that the 'A' chair (the one at tip of the Vee) is not included in the 3D print.

PLA/PHA filament seems to work well for this. Pure PLA isn't quite strong enough. I've tried PETG but it ended up a stringy mess :)  ABS might work too but I have not tried it.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I tracked down your blog set up in 2015 which was a fascinating read. Shame it (the blog that is) fizzled out because I’m guessing a lot has changed in the 3 years since.

I’ve built all the track work for my next project so this has come too late for me but I can see the potential for other modellers if they feel nervous about building track work totally from components. I plan to bring the idea up with other members of the EMGS in case they are not aware of the work you have already done. Could you therefore provide a couple more close up shots of recent builds that show the best achieveable with current 3D printing please?

Well done.

Frank

Hi Andy,

I tracked down your blog set up in 2015 which was a fascinating read. Shame it (the blog that is) fizzled out because I’m guessing a lot has changed in the 3 years since.

I’ve built all the track work for my next project so this has come too late for me but I can see the potential for other modellers if they feel nervous about building track work totally from components. I plan to bring the idea up with other members of the EMGS in case they are not aware of the work you have already done. Could you therefore provide a couple more close up shots of recent builds that show the best achieveable with current 3D printing please?

Well done.

Frank

Hi Frank,

I'm assuming you mean turnout bases that can be printed on an inexpensive filament printer. Here are some larger than life pix I took outside today.

post-25691-0-62076900-1541970308_thumb.jpg

post-25691-0-40635300-1541970263_thumb.jpg

post-25691-0-50676700-1541970277_thumb.jpg

The flash around the bottom edge of the timbers is actually a "brim" that's used to help the model adhere to the printer's table. It can be eliminated. Also, the timbers might look a bit distressed at this amount of magnification. That can also be eliminated by increasing the filament delivery rate slightly.

If you wanted really hi-fi printing the resin sample I posted above would be the way to go, but the resin is rather too brittle to accept threaded rails and the chairs tend to break. That's why I included the rails in the print.

Andy

• Like 2

Hi Frank,

I'm assuming you mean turnout bases that can be printed on an inexpensive filament printer. Here are some larger than life pix I took outside today.

attachicon.gifDSCN4167.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN4163.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN4165.JPG

The flash around the bottom edge of the timbers is actually a "brim" that's used to help the model adhere to the printer's table. It can be eliminated. Also, the timbers might look a bit distressed at this amount of magnification. That can also be eliminated by increasing the filament delivery rate slightly.

If you wanted really hi-fi printing the resin sample I posted above would be the way to go, but the resin is rather too brittle to accept threaded rails and the chairs tend to break. That's why I included the rails in the print.

Andy

Thanks Andy that is just what I was after. One final question due to my own ignorance of the materials, can you use plastic solvents on this plastic? I’m thinking that a modeller might want to hide the ends of the metal plate across the V with cosmetic chairs.

Frank

This is a rendering of the model. As you can see certain liberties have been taken with the design of the chairs. The biggest might be that the head and foot of the rail both rest against the outer "jaw". The inner jaw applies a little pressure in the middle of the inside web surface. This arrangement provides a three point support. It's the only way I've been able to keep the rails consistently vertical which is essential for holding gauge.

post-25691-0-58492500-1541975731_thumb.gif

Thanks Andy that is just what I was after. One final question due to my own ignorance of the materials, can you use plastic solvents on this plastic? I’m thinking that a modeller might want to hide the ends of the metal plate across the V with cosmetic chairs.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Typically there would be a slab and bracket at that position. The rail actually rests on top of a metal slab and the rail is secured by a right angle bracket bolted to the slab with another bolt that goes right through the nose. On a model you'd probably want to add a horizontal bolt head at that position, similar to the ones that secure the rails to the slide chairs at the switch end. I will probably just paint mine. I left the solder exposed so people can see what's going on.

On my proto the slab is a piece of FR4 copper-clad laminate. It helps to protect the plastic from heat when the nose and wings are soldered to it.

I don't think solvent works on PLA/PHA but it does like "super-glue".

Andy

Hi Frank,

Typically there would be a slab and bracket at that position. The rail actually rests on top of a metal slab and the rail is secured by a right angle bracket bolted to the slab with another bolt that goes right through the nose. On a model you'd probably want to add a horizontal bolt head at that position, similar to the ones that secure the rails to the slide chairs at the switch end. I will probably just paint mine. I left the solder exposed so people can see what's going on.

On my proto the slab is a piece of FR4 copper-clad laminate. It helps to protect the plastic from heat when the nose and wings are soldered to it.

I don't think solvent works on PLA/PHA but it does like "super-glue".

Andy

All very interesting stuff. I shall continue to follow this blog with great interest. Meanwhile I must find someone to instruct me in usingTurboCAD 3D. I’ve already mastered TurboCAD for drawing up the artwork for etched loco and coach kits in 3D but every attempt by me so far to follow tutorials regarding 3D have been a failure. I must try again because it will open up endless possibilities.

Cheers,

Frank

All very interesting stuff. I shall continue to follow this blog with great interest. Meanwhile I must find someone to instruct me in usingTurboCAD 3D. I’ve already mastered TurboCAD for drawing up the artwork for etched loco and coach kits in 3D but every attempt by me so far to follow tutorials regarding 3D have been a failure. I must try again because it will open up endless possibilities.

Cheers,

Frank

Frank,

Are you using TurboCAD Deluxe or TurboCAD Pro?

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile I must find someone to instruct me in usingTurboCAD 3D. I’ve already mastered TurboCAD for drawing up the artwork for etched loco and coach kits in 3D but every attempt by me so far to follow tutorials regarding 3D have been a failure

Andy is well ahead of me, but if I can get this progressed in Templot, no CAD skills will be needed -- the DXF will come from Templot ready chaired:

2_061704_070000000.png

More about how the DXF from Templot gets to a 3D printer, using only free software, and no CAD skills needed, is here:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=2734&forum_id=6&page=15#p25268

For more info, follow progress reports on the Templot Club forum.

cheers,

Martin.

Andy is well ahead of me, but if I can get this progressed in Templot, no CAD skills will be needed -- the DXF will come from Templot ready chaired:

2_061704_070000000.png

More about how the DXF from Templot gets to a 3D printer, using only free software, and no CAD skills needed, is here:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=2734&forum_id=6&page=15#p25268

For more info, follow progress reports on the Templot Club forum.

cheers,

Martin.

Hi Martin,

Very impressive, but before you go any further you really need to translate your work to accommodate the practical realities imposed by the limitations of current 3-D printing technology. It's a lot more complicated than simply scaling the prototype.

Cheers!

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Martin,

Very impressive, but before you go any further you really need to translate your work to accommodate the practical realities imposed by the limitations of current 3-D printing technology. It's a lot more complicated than simply scaling the prototype.

Hi Andy,

i'm ready for that as far as 4mm/ft scale is concerned. But Templot is used for all scales up to 5" gauge ground-level live-stteam (and beyond). Here's some Gauge 3 pictures: https://www.gauge3.org.uk/photo-gallery

So I want to have the prototype stuff in there, at least as a starting point. It can be degraded back for the smaller scales in the light of experience.

cheers,

Martin.

Hi Andy,

i'm ready for that as far as 4mm/ft scale is concerned. But Templot is used for all scales up to 5" gauge ground-level live-stteam (and beyond). Here's some Gauge 3 pictures: https://www.gauge3.org.uk/photo-gallery

So I want to have the prototype stuff in there, at least as a starting point. It can be degraded back for the smaller scales in the light of experience.

cheers,

Martin.

Hi Martin,

I think it's great that you are trying to capture a model of the prototype, but scaling to a practical model is far more complicated than mere degrading, particularly as there is no degrading software available (AFAIK). My objection is that you might be creating an impression that someone can produce a 3-D  printed turnout directly from Templot. That has not been demonstrated.

I'm more than happy to help translate your ambition into reality, but in the meantime I suspect many viewers are more interested in what is actually possible today.

Andy

EDIT: Renderings are easy. Show us the prints :)

Edited by AndyID

• RMweb Gold
EDIT: Renderings are easy. Show us the prints :)

Hi Andy,

Touché  smile.gif

I don't think you've grasped that all the dimensions will be adjustable in Templot. So if for example you want the key to be thinner and full height across the head and foot of the rail (to keep the rail vertical), it's just a matter of entering the required dimensions. If the chair doesn't fit the rail in use, the dimensions can be modified until it does. Further -- the code will eventually be open source, so if someone wants to add features which I've omitted, or remove features I've included, they can.

But as you noticed, I'm not there (yet). I haven't even got a 3D printer (yet). Whereas you are up and running. smile.gif

cheers,

Martin.

Hi Andy,

Touché  smile.gif

I don't think you've grasped that all the dimensions will be adjustable in Templot. So if for example you want the key to be thinner and full height across the head and foot of the rail (to keep the rail vertical), it's just a matter of entering the required dimensions. If the chair doesn't fit the rail in use, the dimensions can be modified until it does. Further -- the code will eventually be open source, so if someone wants to add features which I've omitted, or remove features I've included, they can.

But as you noticed, I'm not there (yet). I haven't even got a 3D printer (yet). Whereas you are up and running. smile.gif

cheers,

Martin.

Hi Martin,

What you have failed to grasp is that it's not simply a matter of changing some dimensions. It's a matter of changing the design to be compatible with the limitations of the chosen medium, but you already knew that really, didn't you.

What I'm objecting to (just a wee bit violently) is the notion that Templot is suddenly "3-D Ready". Without some physical evidence, it is not.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

What I'm objecting to (just a wee bit violently) is the notion that Templot is suddenly "3-D Ready". Without some physical evidence, it is not.

Hi Andy,

But I haven't said Templot is "3D Ready". Certainly not suddenly.

I posted this info about what I'm working on in response to your comment that an expensive CAD program is needed. If I can get this working, it wouldn't be. That might be a big if, but we won't know until I've tried it.

I've been working on Templot one way or another for 40 years, so folks know full well that "suddenly" isn't the word you are looking for. smile.gif

cheers,

Martin.

• Friendly/supportive 1