Interesting Rail oddities as seen on Google Earth

No 1 !

I came across this on Google Earth. It is a French location. There seems to be a shunt manoeuvre going on past the L.C gates but there is no loco in sight!  (Nor was there in the whole area before the picture was cropped) There doesn't seem to be a loco at either end of the train and I'm sure it's a not a very long DMU or EMU unit. They look like freight vehicles to me . It seems odd. Surely it's not being moved by gravity either, not this day and age surely? Any thoughts?

post-2219-0-11728900-1541852228.jpg

• Like 1

A place

Where would a loco even be? unless it's taken some more wagons either north or south?

Can you post a link to where abouts this is?

A place called Vendome , the line east of here goes to Cloyes sur la loire

• RMweb Premium

No 1 !

I came across this on Google Earth. It is a French location. There seems to be a shunt manoeuvre going on past the L.C gates but there is no loco in sight!  (Nor was there in the whole area before the picture was cropped) There doesn't seem to be a loco at either end of the train and I'm sure it's a not a very long DMU or EMU unit. They look like freight vehicles to me . It seems odd. Surely it's not being moved by gravity either, not this day and age surely? Any thoughts?

attachicon.gifodd crossing movement no loco!.JPG

If you follow Rue Chevrier you will see two locos (double headed) in one of the sidings.

• RMweb Premium

No 1 !

attachicon.gifodd crossing movement no loco!.JPG

Please remember that satellite images are made up of lots of small photos joined together!

Its not hard to find images featuring only parts of trains where one image is stuck to another.

I would suggest that loco and a few wagons have been 'chopped off' at the top of the train where two images have been joined together.

• RMweb Gold

Ships are fun for this; you can find half ships, anchored ships with different sea states at each end, and wakes where there are no ships.

I think I remember reading somewhere that any given spot on the planet is passed over and photographed every 60 days, but of course there will be many locations where, because of weather conditions and cloud cover, it may be a year or two before a fresh photo can be taken.  This means the the updates to the cover a patchy and show at the joins; open and busy motorways vanish comically in mid bridge, half built dams hold back half reservoirs and so on.  The polar regions and big mountains show half snow cover according to season, and half icebergs in the seas.

There must be aircraft in flight, some disappearing into half aircraft, as well, but I've never come across one; may start exploring the flight paths into big airports next time I'm flying around on Google Earth to see if I can spot any.  They are easy to spot on the ground, of course, as is any geometrically regular shape.

You can pick out the elephants at London Zoo, but try to find one in the wild and you'll soon realise how big, and empty, Africa really is!  You can find hippos, though; just scan along the rivers!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Have a look at ratcliffe power station on google maps, there is an ews MGR in there that is a good 40 wagons long, it’s at the exit signal from the discharge loop but also still being unloaded in the hopper

And if you follow the loop round you find a 4 1/2 wagon long freightliner stone train too!

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Gold

Please remember that satellite images are made up of lots of small photos joined together!

Its not hard to find images featuring only parts of trains where one image is stuck to another.

I would suggest that loco and a few wagons have been 'chopped off' at the top of the train where two images have been joined together.

If you look at the shadows at the western end of the wagons there appears to be a bit of cut off shadow that is not linked to a wagon so maybe that is where the photos join and the shadow is from whatever was at that end of the train i.e. loco or loco plus more wagons and that/they are missing from the adjoining left hand photo............maybe.

Edited by highpeakman