Class 91 InterCity repaint

• RMweb Gold

Bloody h££l ken been out that long! Was on bounds green job last week wish I'd poked about a bit more.

Do you reckon you can come to work in BR uniform if you have it?

I often put BR gear on if I have large logo 37s, if they can wear BR uniform so can I !

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Looks to have been finished now as LNER have posted this on their Twitter feed;

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dr4ZxkMX4AETo-n.jpg:large

There are a couple of paths in the schedule for this Thursday which might be for its test run.

5Z20 13.55 Bounds Green T&RSMD to Doncaster  http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/N05903/2018/11/15/advanced

5Z50 18.49 Doncaster West Yard to Bounds Green T&RSMD  http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/N05904/2018/11/15/advanced

Apparently these paths are for something else.

Edited by 4630
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well done to all involved - humorously perhaps Grayling will get the hint from the operator of the last resort currently running the operation but some how doubt it unless some happy Sir H tells him to like it and do it....

I guess a rake of coaches is just too much but a DVT to match  - NRM ?   Given news that the Montizumas are canned at his time perhaps this piece of modernity will last a while.

Robert    

• Like 1

Makes me want to go back to London again, just to catch this. When exactly will they start phasing them out?

And, as a side question, is there any way for railfans to know which loco is on which train...? When I went to Hungary last time I actually downloaded an app where you can search for a specific locomotive and see, in real time, where it is. It would help a lot in catching a specific train.

• RMweb Premium

Well done to all involved - humorously perhaps Grayling will get the hint from the operator of the last resort currently running the operation but some how doubt it unless some happy Sir H tells him to like it and do it....

I guess a rake of coaches is just too much but a DVT to match  - NRM ?   Given news that the Montizumas are canned at his time perhaps this piece of modernity will last a while.

Robert    

There is a problem with the coaches in that colour contrasting passenger doors MUST be used on any new livery - as such the BR InterCity livery can NEVER be replicated in its genuine form (unless a charter operator takes on a rake).

The BR Blue & Grey livery applied to the 313 by Southern shows this dilemma - the doors have to be all blue to provide the required contrast.

As fr a DVT - no reason one couldn't be done but as the DVTs, coaching rakes and locos frequently get changed around (just like HST power cars and coaching sets on the GWML before the 800s appeared) then the chances of a BR liveried DVT and loco remaining together for any length of time is pretty remote.

• RMweb Premium

Looks great. Brings back memories of sitting at Ranskill level crossing with Dad watching them fly through!

Tom.

I notice however that there seems to be an extra Black painted ventilation grill added since BR days (or maybe they simply haven't painted it right) just behind the drivers door which breaks up the white diagonal stripe.

The Hornby model of 91001 circa 1991 was the very first loco I acquired through my own choice (as opposed to a gift of someone else's choosing). I still have it somewhere, along with 4 or so mk4s and a DVT. Always the 91s, especially in the Swallow paint, so seeing this is very pleasing.

Wonder if it can be put next to GWRs swallow coloured HST power car for some proper 90s nostalgia.

• RMweb Gold

Wonder if it can be put next to GWRs swallow coloured HST power car for some proper 90s nostalgia.

Spookily enough, it looks like there's a will to achieve that if this from the LNER twitter feed is anything to go by.

https://twitter.com/LNER/status/1062320497122258944

• Like 3

The Hornby model of 91001 circa 1991 was the very first loco I acquired through my own choice (as opposed to a gift of someone else's choosing). I still have it somewhere, along with 4 or so mk4s and a DVT. Always the 91s, especially in the Swallow paint, so seeing this is very pleasing.

I always reckoned the the colours on those original Hornby 91's and mk4's were pretty spot on - I wonder why they changed the executive light grey on their later (and current) mk3's to that horrible cream colour?

The loco looks ace, I think the intercity lettering is a bit smaller and starts further forward and the white on the roof should go further back but that is not important in my opinion, The loco still looks ace.

Spookily enough, it looks like there's a will to achieve that if this from the LNER twitter feed is anything to go by.

https://twitter.com/LNER/status/1062320497122258944

That is awesome, but wouldn't King's Cross be a better option than Paddington? I mean, seeing as how the 91's were ordered specifically for the ECML, and have worked side by side with 43's all along.