Con rod issues

T30RRA

Ah,

I think I understand the issue.

It appears that you have soldered the bushes into the rods, whereas you want the bushes “fixed” to the wheels, so that they rotate within the rods. Whilst it should theoretically function as you have it, it will be very difficult to make it work, and the screws turning inside the bushes will wear horribly, and will almost certainly go loose in the wheels too.

I think you need to unsolder the bushes from the rods, and clean the solder from the inside of the holes in the rods. I’d suggest getting new bushes from Slaters.

Then place the bush on the crankpin, put the rod over the bush, put a washer over the pin to retain the rod, and tighten the nut. The bush should be fixed to the wheel, and the rod should turn easily on the bush. When all six wheels and the two flycranks are like that, you’ll be in with a good chance of making it work.

Best

Simon

Thanks for the suggestions. The bushes aren't soldered into the rods but I did solder two bushes together and cut the end off where the rod sticks out (photo later) which dud help slightly. Sorry if I didn't explain that clearly.

I agree about the motor and gear and whilst the motor is attached, the worm and gear have been removed at the minute so they don't restrict the wheels.

Ok, that’s good, I misunderstood your words & photos.

I suggest you take the centre axle & crank axle out, and get it rolling sweetly on the leading & trailing axles only.

It may be that the rods to the flycranks need to be free to rotate relative to the main rods, you possibly shouldn’t solder them together.

Best

Simon

A magnifying glass will help. Remove the nuts and rotate to the sticking point. Now use the glass to identify exactly where the tight spot is binding. Make sketches and repeat on the other sides. If both rods bind simultaneously something is very wrong andyou need to go back to bare frames and check for twist or misaligned axle holes.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Some more progress this week. Thankfully drilling the WM bonnet for the filling caps was a lot easier than drilling it for handrails. The lost wax horns are also a bit delicate even in brass, I had to gently straighten them.

20200205_205023.jpg

20200205_200651.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...