Industrial Beyer Garratt in EM gauge

19 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Scenery question.

Is your backscene warehouse and conglomeration of Walthers kits? It looks great and I'm in the process of sorting out the Walthers stuff I've amassed over the years, to start to do something with my low level goods yard/ industrial complex so ideas are very welcome!!

Chris.

Hi - the two darker buildings are indeed from a Walthers kit, but I can't remember which one. I remember that the contents of the box supplied enough bits for two low relief buildings, though, so a good buy. The one in the middle is a simple scratchbuild with some etched windows.

377568565_TheroadentrancetoSaltportshed..jpg.4d6a792750abe0986223879dc7c3c051.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 09/03/2019 at 18:27, 1whitemoor said:

Quite a fleet you have!

Is that an MRJ F class Manning Wardle? - Looks very nice, any chance of a better photo?

Paul A. 

Hi Paul - what a series that was, teach the readers how to scratchbuild a loco, and supply some of the trickiest bits too. Classic MRJ. I only worked up the courage to try it about 15 years ago and wondered why I hadn't done it sooner. Building it rather later enabled me to update the MRJ  design a little - I used a High Level gearbox to enable the boiler to be modelled 'in the round', and I didn't bother with split axles, but otherwise more or less exactly as per Paul Berntsen's articles.

WP_20190310_09_38_35_Pro.jpg.3d386760b783f7ffea663cbed6d49fab.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Re industrial Garratts the current (Issue 3 Feb 2019) edition of Railway Bylines has some good pictures of the Sneyd Colliery Garratt.

I would be interested in knowing what the cupboard on the front of the front water tank was for.

Four industrial Garratts were built for UK customers all in different liveries, only the Swansea Garratt was fitted with vacuum brake hoses.

Gordon A

5 hours ago, Barclay said:

Hi - the two darker buildings are indeed from a Walthers kit, but I can't remember which one. I remember that the contents of the box supplied enough bits for two low relief buildings, though, so a good buy. The one in the middle is a simple scratchbuild with some etched windows.

377568565_TheroadentrancetoSaltportshed..jpg.4d6a792750abe0986223879dc7c3c051.jpg

That is a stupendous shot!!

Masses of atmosphere.

Thanks for the building info.

Chris.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ive been asked to build one of these and am interested in the motor/gearbox options - particularly the N20 and bevel gears. I've built numerous Backwoods kits in the past and have always used the supplied box but they aren't the easiest. Ebay links to these motors would be useful.

Also the kit Ive been supplied has a set of Gibson P4 wheels, my customer wants 16.5, OO. Any thoughts on options - his preference is for Romford /Markits but I'm not sure they do anything suitable.

Gordon A, I will be tapping you up for suitable pictures once we are allowed out to play again!

Jerry  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, queensquare said:

Ive been asked to build one of these and am interested in the motor/gearbox options - particularly the N20 and bevel gears. I've built numerous Backwoods kits in the past and have always used the supplied box but they aren't the easiest. Ebay links to these motors would be useful.

Also the kit Ive been supplied has a set of Gibson P4 wheels, my customer wants 16.5, OO. Any thoughts on options - his preference is for Romford /Markits but I'm not sure they do anything suitable.

Gordon A, I will be tapping you up for suitable pictures once we are allowed out to play again!

Jerry  

My garratt has Romford wheels. They used to do the right size.
Don't know if Markits do though.

• Thanks 1

Hi Jerry - I'm struggling with a link but this is what I bought motor-wise. They are available from various sources - just make sure they are for 12V and get the RPM right. 300rpm seems about right for this loco. The bevel gears I used were OK but others have suggested better ones in this thread.

In terms of wheels, Gibson obviously make the correct wheel which is 13mm. It seems Markits' only 13mm wheel is for a Barclay which is no use of course. I look forward to seeing it built.  

image.png.2b5b87fc1d97f5cd0780976534597c7f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barclay said:

Hi Jerry - I'm struggling with a link but this is what I bought motor-wise. They are available from various sources - just make sure they are for 12V and get the RPM right. 300rpm seems about right for this loco. The bevel gears I used were OK but others have suggested better ones in this thread.

In terms of wheels, Gibson obviously make the correct wheel which is 13mm. It seems Markits' only 13mm wheel is for a Barclay which is no use of course. I look forward to seeing it built.  

image.png.2b5b87fc1d97f5cd0780976534597c7f.png

Barclay, can you post where you got your bevel gears from please.
I'd like to have a go at the bevel drive.

• RMweb Gold

Simple formula, because the full one can be reduced to this anyway:

(speed in mph x 280) / (wheel diameter in inches) = rpm.

However, to allow for any energy losses and accommodate the fact that motors last longer and generally produce more power if not working flat out, add a third of the result.

Essentially, 400 instead of 280 in the above formula.

Personally, I work on the basis that for Victorian era designs, the wheel diameter in inches is effectively the speed in mph, so in selecting a gear ratio, simply divide the motor’s full speed by 400, and then I know everything will be nicely balanced, with the motor generally unstressed, even at normal working maximum speeds, with a little bit extra left in reserve.

For slow-speed, you might divide the motor rpm by 200, getting a higher ratio.

20 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Barclay, can you post where you got your bevel gears from please.
I'd like to have a go at the bevel drive.

Hi I've had a look but the ones I bought seem to have disappeared from ebay. Some of the other posts on this thread have links to bevel gears that are probably better. In particular if you can get any with 3mm bore that would be much better as trying to drill them out to 3mm and 1/8" had quite a high failure rate.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Barclay said:

Hi I've had a look but the ones I bought seem to have disappeared from ebay. Some of the other posts on this thread have links to bevel gears that are probably better. In particular if you can get any with 3mm bore that would be much better as trying to drill them out to 3mm and 1/8" had quite a high failure rate.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, jdb82 said:

Just been reading this thread though - quite magnificent! I'm rather envious of your fleet of locos, and particularly like their livery. Do you mind me asking which green you have used?

Hi and thank you

The earlier loco's used a brightish green, albeit generally heavily weathered. I couldn't now say what the colour is but it isn't a railway colour. This Austerity is probably the cleanest:

WP_20160305_16_47_54_Pro.jpg.f60ceaec070088decd29eccc6036d772.jpg

Most of my subsequent loco's, including the Garratt, are Great Western Green, with different levels of weathering - I don't seem to have much say in this - some end up looking used but tidy, and others almost pure filth!

1151395008_Photo9.jpg.31728b97bbf13b3b1aa3fe6dbca1ea1d.jpg

WP_20150905_18_22_58_Pro.jpg.38ec2dccc62bb499cb5454baaa42cbfb.jpg

There is one other exception - I planned to switch to Southern light olive at one stage but only this loco got built before I went back to the GWR !!

WP_20191130_14_11_48_Pro.jpg.1aab53c81ed07cfb3a70404545bb0c3e.jpg

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Barclay said:

Hi and thank you

The earlier loco's used a brightish green, albeit generally heavily weathered. I couldn't now say what the colour is but it isn't a railway colour. This Austerity is probably the cleanest:

Most of my subsequent loco's, including the Garratt, are Great Western Green, with different levels of weathering - I don't seem to have much say in this - some end up looking used but tidy, and others almost pure filth!

There is one other exception - I planned to switch to Southern light olive at one stage but only this loco got built before I went back to the GWR !!

As usual, seeing your fleet is a source of inspiration.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Barclay said:

Hi and thank you

Thanks for the info - again, they really look the business :-)