ScotRail 1987/88 Workbench

jono26

Back to the Mk2 coaches and the executive dark grey has been applied to seven of the nine coaches and the roof of the blue grey FK and TSOT resprayed with Railmatch RM310 dark blue grey, picture below, FK not shown. Very happy with how the paint went on this time compared to the Mk3a I did last year, perhaps I am getting better with the airbrush. I also switched to Tamiya masking tape which did a better job than the last stuff I had, cleaner lines etc.

1541506390_Execlivery.jpg.8e6e57241554ddda5c8221796e8d1748.jpg

Since the picture I have painted the TSOT red stripe and FO yellow stripe with several thin coats but given the amount of effort to tidy these up I wish I had sprayed them, have to remember for next time.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

Underframe completion

The coach bodies had a coat of gloss and are now ready for decals,

however,

To create some space on the workbench I decided to fit the bogies, ETS sockets and then interiors to the under frames which should mean they are complete except for Kadees. The Replica railways bogies have been modified with 1mm plasticard packing, see picture, so I can attach them with a nut and bolt. This is the case for the Hornby/Dapol air con coaches whereas the Bachmann TSO and FK have had the cam coupling arm and spring removed and the bogie attached with its original screw fitting.

Holes were drilled in the under frame behind the buffers to fit the scratch build ETS sockets, note the cable is attached to an ‘approximated’ plug fitted on the coach end. The body should slide over this plug as I cut out the corresponding panel in the body.

1743752593_bogiefittingandETS.jpg.ed34e8cd3bbea4bdc31c57c890553028.jpg

Next up decals

Jonathan

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Decals now complete

The two blue grey coaches, Mk2a FK and Mk2d TSOT, were a simple case of numbers and ScotRail lettering which only took an hour of carefully aligning individual numbers from the Fox transfer sheet. The 7 exec grey coaches had the ScotRail blue and white lining applied to one side at a time, drying time between. This needs a tidy up around the door joins and bumpers and for the Mk2z there are door grab handles and bumpers which need attention to get the lining flush on the body. When applying I used Humbrol decal fix to help soften the decals around the raised moulding.  I find leaving everything to dry thoroughly then going back over with neat decal fix finishes off any bits I missed. When dry I use a sharp knife to cut the lining into the door joins then fix in place with more decal fix.

After many evenings of eye strain, I finished the decals on the 9 Mk2 coaches, hardest to see are the coach end data panels. One thing I noted doing research that these vary significantly so its either prototype pictures for essential accuracy otherwise rule 1 applies, more the latter in this case. I was surprised to find I had applied roughly 30 individual decals to each coach including the ScotRail lining. Just a wee touch up of the blue lining in one or two spots to finish this before a coat of varnish. I didn't stick to all my original coach numbers but no big deal, also note the prefix 'SC' is not on all numbers which was based on actual pictures and video footage, adds a little more interesting variation. I may still have some of these wrong but no worries.

675175829_Mk2ScotRaildecals.jpg.f17d3998623b5d474e9affbbc506ee50.jpg

Next step will be a coat of varnish to seal the decals which I was hoping to do last weekend but nice weather and DIY got in the way.

In other related workbench news I intend to make up a cutting jig to see if I can consistently cut down the Hornby corridor connector so they are closer to that of the Bachmann Mk2's. Not fully confident in plan A but there is always a follow on plan B.

Meanwhile the class 47 Strathisla project is still on going as I needed to re spray all the yellow areas not just the roof where I removed the aerial, can’t match the orange yellow that Bachmann use. Probably 3-4 coats to get the right depth of yellow.

Jonathan

• Like 7

On the subject of the corridors, I didn't manage to cut them down.

However I did use a Tamiya panel scriber around the outside edge, 0.5mm back from the face to make the front plate stand out from the flexible area. Then rounded the latter and recessed it by cutting the coach end. I think there was a thread on this once upon a time

Mark

IMG_20190822_175750.jpg

IMG_20190822_175733.jpg

Edited by westie7
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Mark,

That's some impressive re-working of the corridor connection, thanks for posting the pictures. Given the stage I am at now with the build I don't think I could do this, or perhaps have the patience to do all 7 air con coaches. I am assuming you have to also modify the under frame mounting to take the recessed corridor section? I will give this a go on the next Mk2 project as I have another 2 different rakes I would like to put together.

In fact looking at the pictures you posted got me thinking of a slight change to my original plan

Thanks

Jonathan

Cheers Jonathan.

What you see is a quick job made so much easier with the panel scriber. same panel scriber is used to cut the gap in the body gently to avoid saw action damaging or stressing the joints on the BFK cut'n'shut

I haven't cut and straightened the headstocks as you have yet so I does bump into them, The small tab (one thick/ one thin) pokes thru the gap in the bottom of the doors by about 1mm.

A quick check and I think cutting off the back of the corridor area behind the plate would be so much easier as this goes below floor level anyway.

Still have the windows to cut out too.

Might take a close look at coaches when I get in for my nightshift 

I had a play with cutting down the corridor connections based on an idea inspired by Marks use of a scribe tool - thanks Mark. There is a little extra work to make a new face plate from 0.5mm plasticard but I am happy with the result I achieved despite the doors not being recessed in the correct position. However as there will only be one clearly visible on the assembled rake I can live with this. Just 14 to make.

1166812130_corridor1.jpg.d02ae67cd42156066e3d0a8c478b193c.jpg 

Jonathan

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

14 hours ago, jono26 said:

Jonathan,

After having a look at a Mk2 on the back of the sleepers, that cutaway of the corridor behind the rubbing plate, is up as far as, in line with the bottom of the middle of the face plate.

Rgds

Mark

Mark

I get the impression you have real coaches to reference?  

Thanks for the info, I may need to take a little more off the bottom in that case, I'll check against the photos I have

Regards

Jonathan

• 4 weeks later...

Over the past 3 weeks, since the last posting,  I have continued working on the 7 air con coaches. The corridor connectors are now painted ready for fitting. I have left 2 with red doors just so I can mix up the rakes if necessary while the rest are black as they will sit in the middle of the rakes and hence the doors would not be visible, this just stops the odd flash of red or fawn while negotiating curves.

IMAG1806.jpg.421d5bb2e731dce08bce5b0c315bd2eb.jpg

IMAG1817.jpg.95d7cd711e5436c2accdc67137ded894.jpg

Today was a major milestone in the build when the last of 152 laser glaze windows went in.

I have been doing these in small sessions across many evenings as I find I loose focus easily with this task.

The edges of the Laser glaze windows were coated black using a Sharpie permanent marker.

Some of the window openings were a little over size and would not hold the windows tight so I lined the inner frame with a thin layer of glue and glaze and allowed this to dry 24 hours before fitting the window.

The toilet windows were fitted as per normal but as these were all transparent and the backing film in this case was clear unlike the white film on the passenger windows. I cut 0.1/0.25mm plasticard 8.5x9mm squares and round the edges off, this seemed to give a close fit when pushed into place behind the toilet windows and then secured with a couple of drops of glue and glaze.

I cut a few door drop lights in half and fitted as half open windows on a few of the coaches.

The other 2 coaches (Mk2a and Mk2z) have been assembled and waiting on the remaining coaches to be assembled before I fit the kadees.

Jonathan

• Like 4

Way back in July you may remember I was working on 47642 ‘Strathisla’, this has been worked on sporadically between the layout and coach projects. I initially thought this would be a straight forward rename/number livery tweak but it has been more work than anticipated to get it right. 

After filing back the roof line at the front the roof was given 4 coats of yellow to get the right colour depth over the existing yellow and primed area where the aerial used to be. I also repainted the lower yellow section, again 4 coats to get the colour to match the yellow roof panel. Its close but not 100% but once weathered the slight colour variation across the yellow will not show. 

The ScotRail branding decals are now Railtec, I stripped off the previous ones and reapplied gloss varnish before applying. This time around I got a carrier film free ‘ScotRail’ branding. However the numbers looked OK until I applied the matt varnish, really not sure what happened here, so still a little work to do but otherwise happy. Only the name plates and front grab rails to add now as the under frame is finished equipped with body mounted snow ploughs and kadees and buffer beam detailed.

1857081634_47642Septupdate.jpg.47e5079b9bab07483396201f1113cb5b.jpg

Jonathan

• Like 5

Names plates on and DCC chip added and tested on the layout. That's my quota of Inverness IC livery 47's ticked off the list, now on to some Eastfield large logos examples.
47642 Strathisla seen here next to 47541 The Queen Mother for comparison, there are some subtle differences.

IMAG1827.jpg.8fed30a28ccbf9008e1c347398d11219.jpg

IMAG1829.jpg.fafd23bfa3266a9faba2702b09283eca.jpg

IMAG1830.jpg.d40fbb9644a68f2565394db81c22f7fa.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 minute ago, jono26 said:

Names plates on and DCC chip added and tested on the layout. That's my quota of Inverness IC livery 47's ticked off the list, now on to some Eastfield large logos examples.
47642 Strathisla seen here next to 47541 The Queen Mother for comparison, there are some subtle differences.

IMAG1827.jpg.8fed30a28ccbf9008e1c347398d11219.jpg

IMAG1829.jpg.fafd23bfa3266a9faba2702b09283eca.jpg

IMAG1830.jpg.d40fbb9644a68f2565394db81c22f7fa.jpg

I dont know how many detail differences you're looking for between those, but didn't 47642 spend quite a bit of time with a full black headcode box as another option to the half yellow/half grey

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

It did but not in my time period but after the grief respraying the yellow I wish I hadn't been so rigid in following my loco livery rule and left it all black/exec dark grey as per the 'Titan' base model. All good learning experience.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday marked 7 months since I kicked off the Mk2 build and knowing this milestone was coming up I made one last push to get the coaches finished.

With all the windows fitted I added no smoking and first class stickers and in the case of the two TSOT's, a buffet sign. For some reason I have a red tinge to the buffet sign in the blue grey TSOT which isn't that apparent when not behind a window, so I may remove this and re print the sign. I made these in power point using the correct BR font then printed onto photo paper and mounted on a plasticard frame.

Mk2a FK - Mk2d TSOT - Mk2d TSOT

394747974_finishedMk21.jpg.ffba4d3e23a0adf3f9759c8e5eea7aa8.jpg

Mk2d TSO - Mk2d TSO - Mk2z TSO

844122731_finishedMk22.jpg.95a466fe0235286ba698e0f7192a0acc.jpg

Mk2d TSO - Mk2d TSO - Mk2e FO
105054892_finishedMk23.jpg.7c23c6eec4cb065b3d72b051c20fb7e1.jpg

Very pleased with the cut down corridor connections, I have included a comparison picture to an out of the box Mk2D
1464323140_Corridorcomparison.jpg.02aa496aa4fbbf55237c7671e3f2327a.jpg

Just the kadees to fit now when I get more fixing screws. Unlike the Mk3a's there is no room to fit the Kadee No.5 and draft box on the Mk2's so I will be using the 148 coupling and the  shallow 252 gear box. I had some already but not enough so ordered additional Kadee 148s from Osborns models in Devon yesterday which arrived in the post this morning, very impressive service from them and Royal mail for the delivery time.

More pictures to follow when I get these assembled in rakes with a 47/7 and DBSO

Jonathan

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...

Some more pictures of the Mk2's now formed into two rakes along with DBSO and 47/7,  quality is not great as these were on my mobile phone.  My DBSO corridor connectors now need some attention to so they match up with the Mk2's this will also mean re-positioning the kadees to maintain close coupling.

1194020343_Mk2rakes1.jpg.49d336f1c579292410058bc357f96eff.jpg

298594622_Mk2rakes2.jpg.701dabc5cbe5e88f9fc6c2d2ef62d39c.jpg

Couldn't avoid having the mk3 rake in as well with some more ScotRail locos.

1765384648_Mk2rakesScRengines.jpg.2c530d3ba1aac99065c7b2c320e3c7a3.jpg

Jonathan

• Like 14

• 1 month later...

Next up a couple of Eastfield based 47’s to balance all the Inverness engines.

During the period May 87 to May 88 there were 16 class 47/4’s fitted with long range tanks allocated to Eastfield (47650-65) all in large logo livery. Within these were variations of boiler plate (spanner mk3 or Cayton mk2), head code (black, yellow and flush) and only 47654 carried a name (Finsbury Park).

I have two Heljan 47805’s in Swallow livery bought secondhand a while ago with a view to repaint into LL livery as this engine before renumbering was 47650 and so other than the swallow livery and cut away buffer beam cowl it remained visibly unchanged. This engine had a plated over Clayton Mk2 boiler and non flush head code which narrows the 16 engines down to 650-4, 659, 663, 665.

I originally selected 47651 as this had a black head code and 47665 which had yellow head code but after a visit to Warley and the Shawplan stand I came away with Finsbury Park name plates so now doing 47654 and 47651.

The starting point for both was to remove the body and strip down all detailing including handrails, lights, windscreen wipers and windows which is a simple job. 47805 had roof aerials so these were removed and the V sanded flush before stripping back the paint.

And this is where I want to share a cautionary tale

With all previous projects I use Deluxe materials strip magic which has been near 100% successful. On the Heljan 47805 body it did a good job on the swallow livery dark grey but would not shift the lower white or warning yellow front. No problem I thought I will experiment with DOT4 which seems to do a good job and after online research to assure myself this would be OK I gave the two bodies a 24 hour soak. This seemed to do the job as the white seemed to soften and partially dissolve however it left a film/layer of residue over the entire body which after trying many things including IPA would not easily shift. Main problem was in all the fine detailing areas where it clogged up. I think the lower white band on the sides of the body was a vinyl or plastic based stick on, does anyone know what this is?

To cut a long story short may patience ran out after several evenings with little progress so I abandoned the bodies in a spares box and bought replacements off ebay.

I have started again on the new bodies removing all the detailing and preparing for a repaint... more to follow

Jonathan

Edited by jono26

• 1 month later...

47651/54

Two new bodies now prepared and primed ready for painting. To make up for my cheapo airbrush and basic skills I am usually meticulous in preparation of the body before painting so usually these are the steps I follow

1. remove existing decals with T-Cut

2.Depending on existing livery strip back to get an even surface

3.Fill any holes such as roof aerials, hand rails etc and sand flush

4.wash body to remove debris/dust and leave to dry overnight

5. degrease with IPA or proprietary degreaser

6. Prime with Halfords plastic primer

7. Once dry check and correct filler as necessary and lightly sand with 1200 grade wet and dry

8. Drill holes for new hand rails and fit handrails with super glue

9. Repeat 4, 5, 6, 7, 4, 5

Now ready for painting if you still have the will!

For these two bodies I decided to have a go at adding new brass handrails and front grab handles from 0.35mm brass. I will reuse the Heljan front rail and lamp brackets.

Meanwhile buffer beams and pipe work are painted and ready for assembly. I also took the opportunity to start a thorough service of the motor, pick ups and wheel clean.

1920652270_Primed1.jpg.402be4f55b85a7fec922ddf76fd727f8.jpg

47/7s

Next up my current fleet of three 47/7 to complete the three DBSO coach rakes. I have two Bachmann 47708 ‘Waverly’ and one Heljan 47715 Haymarket. One of the Bachmann 47/7 will become 47714 Grampian Region so a simple renumber and new etched name plates I picked up from shawplan at Warley.

536453853_477pic1.jpg.1dfa8247da995e80bb68f563003a4801.jpg

Some are critical of the Heljan 47 but for the money off ebay and the quality of the motor I have no complaints. Having said that the Heljan 47/7 for some reason is fitted with the wrong under frame tanks/battery box so I will be swapping with another 47 models long range tanks which works out conveniently as this, when back dated to 87/88, had the battery box only configuration.

The one missing part on the Heljan tanks is the white pipe work which I need to scratch build. First attempt in plastic was so so, but I think a brass version will be best long term so I will make a bending jig with pins and a piece of mdf… watch this space.

Surprisingly the Bachmann model is not without fault, and there was I thinking easy buffer beam detailing job and one simple renumber/rename. Having checked prototype pictures and done some homework I noted that the RCH jumpers are positioned too low and the ETH sockets fitted as supplied were not as per original, so some reworking required, or am I just being fussy? see below

2111884701_477frontcomparison.jpg.2a5675e802d4b6349d3476bf381c7156.jpg

Jonathan

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 12/01/2020 at 21:27, jono26 said:

47651/54

Two new bodies now prepared and primed ready for painting. To make up for my cheapo airbrush and basic skills I am usually meticulous in preparation of the body before painting so usually these are the steps I follow

1. remove existing decals with T-Cut

2.Depending on existing livery strip back to get an even surface

3.Fill any holes such as roof aerials, hand rails etc and sand flush

4.wash body to remove debris/dust and leave to dry overnight

5. degrease with IPA or proprietary degreaser

6. Prime with Halfords plastic primer

7. Once dry check and correct filler as necessary and lightly sand with 1200 grade wet and dry

8. Drill holes for new hand rails and fit handrails with super glue

9. Repeat 4, 5, 6, 7, 4, 5

Now ready for painting if you still have the will!

For these two bodies I decided to have a go at adding new brass handrails and front grab handles from 0.35mm brass. I will reuse the Heljan front rail and lamp brackets.

Meanwhile buffer beams and pipe work are painted and ready for assembly. I also took the opportunity to start a thorough service of the motor, pick ups and wheel clean.

1920652270_Primed1.jpg.402be4f55b85a7fec922ddf76fd727f8.jpg

47/7s

Next up my current fleet of three 47/7 to complete the three DBSO coach rakes. I have two Bachmann 47708 ‘Waverly’ and one Heljan 47715 Haymarket. One of the Bachmann 47/7 will become 47714 Grampian Region so a simple renumber and new etched name plates I picked up from shawplan at Warley.

536453853_477pic1.jpg.1dfa8247da995e80bb68f563003a4801.jpg

Some are critical of the Heljan 47 but for the money off ebay and the quality of the motor I have no complaints. Having said that the Heljan 47/7 for some reason is fitted with the wrong under frame tanks/battery box so I will be swapping with another 47 models long range tanks which works out conveniently as this, when back dated to 87/88, had the battery box only configuration.

The one missing part on the Heljan tanks is the white pipe work which I need to scratch build. First attempt in plastic was so so, but I think a brass version will be best long term so I will make a bending jig with pins and a piece of mdf… watch this space.

Surprisingly the Bachmann model is not without fault, and there was I thinking easy buffer beam detailing job and one simple renumber/rename. Having checked prototype pictures and done some homework I noted that the RCH jumpers are positioned too low and the ETH sockets fitted as supplied were not as per original, so some reworking required, or am I just being fussy? see below

2111884701_477frontcomparison.jpg.2a5675e802d4b6349d3476bf381c7156.jpg

Jonathan

Definitely worth replacing the RCH fittings with etched parts and fine fuse wire ? fitted in the correct position, and shifting the ETH fittings.

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the suggestion but I was not aware of any etched parts for the RCH fittings so decided to use the Heljan ones which are finer and better proportioned than the Bachmann offerings.

As for the ETH sockets I realised I could take advantage of the Heljan plough fitting recess behind the buffer beam so I knocked up some mounting parts from plasticard, left hand picture, to mount the below buffer beam ETH sockets. Reasonable happy with how this turned out. Just the ETH plug holder on the lower right body to fit now and then fit the cable into the socket on the right hand side.

At the opposite end I will have the ETH sockets which can be seen from the side but no pipe work to allow use of the bogie mounted kadee

1822495717_Heljanfront.jpg.08d9c7540d90eb1a97047b1500433bd1.jpg

Not sure how I will do the Bachmann ETH sockets yet but I may resort to a mount of stiff wire super glued in behind the buffers

Jonathan

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The three 47/7 are complete for now and back on the layout with the three rakes of coaches and DBSO. I can now focus on some non ScotRail stock. I picked up items for the next project back at Warley last year but more will be purchased at Glasgow Model Rail Scotland in 2 weeks time.

1308670467_477layout1.jpg.956efb5eb3789f1d88d6419d271a8371.jpg

47715 Haymarket, 47714 Grampian Region, 47708 Waverly. The missing hose on the Heljan has since been refitted.

Heljan 47715 Haymarket

All hoses and RCH jumpers are Heljan and I made a new ETH socket to fit behind the buffer beam

The tanks were replaced with long range tanks and I made a ‘plasticard rod’ version of the pipe work fitted on the side of the tanks, not perfect but probably less noticeable once weathered. As time allows I will have a shot at a brass wire version. Tanks and bogie side frames were repainted in matt black ready for weathering. This will be my first proper attempt at weathering one of my engines.

I replaced the hand rails with 0.33mm wire

Driver fitted to the number 2 end cab

950471512_Heljantanks.jpg.c3200e9348c3b966ecc756fbbdec5f90.jpg

Bachmann 47708 Waverly and 47714 Grampian Region

First all the RCH sockets were removed and the holes filled and painted. The ETH sockets were also removed as they are in the wrong place for a 47/7. I kept the plug holder end to re-position on the lower front of the engine. A new cable socket was made from plasticard much the same way as the Heljan but I super glued this to the back of the buffer beam. For the connecting cable I used ‘Micro Litz Teflon Coated 0.2mm black cable as it is very fine and a scale <1” diameter. I did this at both ends as they can be seen from the side and do not interfere with the bogie mounter NEM Kadee 18 at the number one end. The much better proportioned RCH sockets and cables from Heljan were fitted and look much better as the two ends are in the right position as is the cable clip – see picture

The number two end was detailed using the Bachmann supplied hoses and coupling and the cab with driver fitted swapped to the No. 2 end.

484675024_477frontdetailingrevised.jpg.8cd10557e78ef3bf84303cbfa9d22033.jpg

Jonathan

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

MK2d BFK

I have been wanting to have a go at a cut and shut job for a long while and couldn’t resist any longer now that the ScotRail Mk2 project is completed. For this new carriage project I am having a go at a Mk2d BFK which is not available as ready to run. Unlike other Mk2 BFK this does not share a body with the BSO so a lot of chopping and gluing is required making this one of the more interesting and challenging carriages to have a go at.

This has already been done before by many other modellers and detailed online so plenty of good information out there to get a head start and understand the technical difficulties. Despite this I am going to document my build and open up for comments to help me and other modellers if anyone has good and bad experiences to share.

This will be the first coach in a build sequence for a cross country rake based on stock from Glasgow Polmadie in 87/88 period so I can have it in either blue grey or intercity livery, definitely the latter I think

Coach numbers are: 17139 bl/gy,40,46,47,50 bl/gy,56-57,59-60 bl/gy,64-67,69-70 bl/gy,72

For this project I will need two old coaches, more tired looking and cheaper the better as I am only interested in the bodies and one under frame. In this case I specifically bought a tired old Dapol BSO in intercity livery for not a lot and I was kindly donated some surplus mk2d FO bodies from a fellow DEMU member in return for a charity donation.

Summary of parts

1x Dapol/Airfix Mk2d BSO

1x Dapol/Airfix Mk2d FO body

Internals for a Hornby Mk2 FK acquired from a bargain bin at an exhibition

Replica B4 bogies

Hornby 12mm coach wheels

Shawplan laser glaze windows

Retracted buffers - MJT

Handles – MJT

Kadee couplers

Decals from Fox and Railtec

End steps and bogies steps – scratch build from brass

First step cut the FO in two to get the passenger compartment section, then remove the section of brake from the BSO as shown below

1801751014_Mk2dbfkstep1.jpg.dfcda6c4d602dbc5b76e40c5a6208856.jpg

Once the sections have been removed the BSO needs cutting through the roof as shown and the right hand brake section retained

1073803663_Mk2dbfkstep2.jpg.5e512cfd73d93196a17f0f4f78a793d9.jpg

All the sections required for the new BFK body are shown below. Next step will be to joint the two roof section and add supporting strips of plasticard after first ensuring the resulting halves add up to the correct length, some filing adjustment will be required as I gave myself 1mm to play with when cutting the BSO.

1779702223_Mk2dbfkbodysections.jpg.118a6ee388452be6809987d3285ab6d2.jpg

Jonathan

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I keep the FO roof whole and just replace the sides.

Doing my second at the moment, but held up due to lack of Shawplan bits.

Then use the SO parts to produce a 2E TSO.

Got a cutting diagramme on one of my threads

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1