ScotRail 1987/88 Workbench

jono26

Thanks for the recommendation of the mesh I had not seen this before. Do you know what the prototype cage mesh size was, I am guessing 2-3in from very distant memory

Cheers

Jonathan

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 20:43, jono26 said:

I am just about there with the BFK body and the joins are now a lot less obvious. A final coat of primer tomorrow and I hope that will be it.

Having got good data from Flood on the seats I had a go at printing some similar seat fabric patterns but didn't come out well. Then I found a website called 'derelict places; which had a photo of a Mk2D first corridor compartment with the orange stripe fabric. Having already printed this out for the previous Mk2a FK I decided to revert to this.

The seats were painted in semi gloss black and the paper seat covers stuck on with rocket card glue. I am really pleased with these so I will replicate for the FK which I have just made a start on the interior.

2093180902_seats2.jpg.59c8371870053ef06e5625c459c04d7f.jpg

The Heljan 47/4's have had another two coats of yellow and I think are now looking the part and ready for some blue. 

1146368627_yellow2.jpg.3acbfc216702dbabe402205a077333fb.jpg

On the downside my cheapo air brush is playing up and despite thorough cleaning and checking all the parts it occasionally jams open slightly. Maybe its time to trade up to a better one. 

Jonathan

Coming along treat Jonathan..

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jono26 said:

Thanks for the recommendation of the mesh I had not seen this before. Do you know what the prototype cage mesh size was, I am guessing 2-3in from very distant memory

Cheers

Jonathan

Not sure, would have to see if there's a clue in Michael Harris' book.

Just remembered Shawplan do mesh as well, James Wells used it on his modified OBAs

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Final coat of primer on the BFK, maybe, there is still a slight change of profile but the question is can I live with this as a first cut and shut attempt?, probably as I would like to move on with the project.

1264685138_Mk2dbfkprimed.jpg.596cfa6629a9a54466896b8aa28a06aa.jpgMeanwhile I finished off the FK seating units and gave them, and the interiors, a light coat of primer. I also cut out the brake section interior wall ready to fit the cage/mesh. 

Jonathan

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Interiors given a basic coat of colour and the seats finished and fitted, both passenger interiors are now complete. I had to leave a couple of the seating units loose for now so I can put the screws in to hold the seats to the under frame the these will be glued in. Looks like a lot of work for something that will not be seen that well but it was an interesting exercise and hopefully someone else will give it a go if they are adding lighting.

1478960567_Mk2dcorridorinterior2.jpg.e8727f56eb12b6426a68471dafc0a9ed.jpg

Jonathan

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The BFK and FK have been fitted with brass hand rails, lamp irons and handles on the roof panel and all the holes drilled for door handles, grab handles etc. A quick coat of primer and these will be ready for the first coat of exec light grey. While I was playing with brass I have made up some end foot steps, bogie steps and a guards step for the BFK which is positioned just ahead of the MA unit between the two doors. 

The executive red stripe decals arrived from Railtec earlier this week so I think I am now in good shape to finish these off.

Meanwhile back on the engine build and despite the dodgy airbrush I got the large logo blue and grey livery on to a satisfactory standard. I used Railmatch enamel paints and thinned for the airbrush with Phoenix  Precision thinners, no problems. Coat of gloss next then ready for the decals.

1247483842_LLlivery1.jpg.f6b1847b7ac54782f49c438b0edc66b3.jpg

Jonathan

• Like 2

how did you connect the kadees to the mk3s? im trying to couple some mk3s the smae way, but how does it go round corners? wouldnt you get the gangway version of buffer lock because they are coupled too close to slide past each other? or am i just missing something? if you could post some pictures that would be a massive help. 

thanks

Mackenzie

Mackenzie,

Good question, I don't think I explained this at the time of the build. I knew from another thread that close fitted kadees on the coach under frame would go around a minimum 90cm/3ft radius but there was no definition of close. To test this I made a simple plank of ply with a length of  flexitrack fitted at the same radius as my layouts minimum radius. I now use this for all kadee spacing and fitting. Picture below shows the Mk3a corridor connections in pull and push modes, still a small gap when being pulled but close enough. This small gap allows the coaches to negotiate my minimum 90cm radius curves.

There is plenty of space at the end of a Mk3a between the buffer beam and bogie so space to fit a kadee No.5 and draft gearbox. Getting the spacing requires a small piece of double sided tape to temporarily hold the gear box while you make adjustments to get the ends just touching on the curve.

743933924_Mk3acoupling.jpg.67e2d011b49889b5582745bb43f14e57.jpg

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more info or pictures

Jonathan

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The BFK/FK project has been progressing with lots of smaller jobs now completed. The under frames have had brass ends steps fitted and for the BFK a step on the side for the guard. I also added a 1mm plasticard panel on the top of the under frame at each end for the ETH socket to fit into. The frames were given a coat of primer and are now ready for painting. Below picture in primer is quite good at highlighting the details.

422425764_underframe4.jpg.e655dac73bfbb3764a272ee24060ec4d.jpg

The bodies have been given a coat of executive light grey and this morning I got the dark grey on the sides and once this is dry I will mask up the sides and do the roof. Still lots to do.

Jonathan

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

On my latest BFK there is 0.15mm difference between the two bodies.

I know the pain!

Mine is currently being fettled along with a 2A BFK using Triang Hornby.

On my previous one I allowed surface filler and sanding to the brake door shut line as a thickness change is less obvious there.

I wil have to doa picture of the 3 from 4 2xFO 2xBSO -> 2xBFK 1xTSO

• Agree 1

This week I have got the executive grey livery on the two coaches, reasonable happy with the results so I will press on with the gloss coat ready for decals. If you look closely you can still see the join on the roof but I can live with this, next time I won't attempt a roof join.

1152557989_Mk2dbfkpainted.jpg.74f107895d400b97223e1871735409f9.jpg

It occurred to me when I was taking stock of progress earlier today after finishing the grey paint job that I had not made up the bogies or prepared the under frame for the bolt fitting so that will be the next job. I use Replica B4 bogies which will have a coat of primer then matt black in preparation for weathering.

Jonathan

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of small jobs now complete on the under frames, painted black, ETH sockets added, modifications for a bolt to fit the bogie, Replica B4 bogies built and painted and also modified for a bolt fitting to the under frame. Pictures below now assembled with the interiors attached so just waiting on the bodies. First two are the FK and the last one the BFK (still waiting on the cage).

1550867623_BFK1.jpg.70de763d50790d89ef20f976c1fafa2b.jpg

1855754834_BFK2.jpg.afe27931629ac9175a82555740780059.jpg

116367850_BFK3.jpg.38b7dd137902b74ba47f984e38cb780a.jpg

The bodies have been painted with a yellow first class stripe and given a coat of gloss and yesterday I made a start on the decals only to discover I didn't have any 'InterCity' decals so a slight delay while I wait on the order to arrive.

While I wait on the decals I will give more time to the Heljan Class 47's. These have been progressing in between other jobs and had a surprising amount of time devoted to them in recent weeks. First off, what a pain it is to mask and paint the black window surrounds, despite quality masking tape and thin paint layers applied by brush I struggled to get a neat edge so I think next time it will be a spray job. With all the paint on I gave the body a coat of gloss but suspect my varnish was not thinned enough so I got an uneven coat so this will be re done. As the original engines were second hand many years ago I have given the wheels, pick ups and gears a thorough clean then fitted DCC decoders and spent many frustrating hours achieving smooth running. I still think these could run better so I will play around more with he decoder settings as I am still not that good on programming and its good opportunity to learn.

Jonathan

• Like 3

The Railtec decals arrived quickly as always, and I have now completed all the livery, except for the cantrail stripe which I will do tomorrow and then hopefully get a coat of varnish on later this weekend. Still quite a bit to do but the end of this project is now in sight.

1090580660_BFK4.jpg.c507b1d4b4356c3fa4c4dfad8a8686cc.jpg

680282434_FK4.jpg.fa09a488f83a145f022f013b7523b8d3.jpg

Jonathan

• Like 5

Looking good. The first year or so of repaints didn't have a cantrail orange stripe so you can leave it off if you want to.

The space where the vent has been removed by the roof hatch was another water filler on the Mk2D stock. If you're making any late build Mk2E stock from Airfix/Mainline/Hornby Mk2Ds then you can transplant some over.

Edited by Flood

Graham thanks for the get out excuse for not painting the cantrails, I will push on with the final coat of varnish tomorrow. 

Unfortunately I don't have any good pictures of the roof at the panel end to know where to position the water filler. From the pictures I can find all looking up towards the roof am I right in assuming the filler is closer to the roof panel than the vent was?

Jonathan

16 hours ago, jono26 said:

Graham thanks for the get out excuse for not painting the cantrails, I will push on with the final coat of varnish tomorrow. 

Unfortunately I don't have any good pictures of the roof at the panel end to know where to position the water filler. From the pictures I can find all looking up towards the roof am I right in assuming the filler is closer to the roof panel than the vent was?

Jonathan

P.M sent

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MJI said:

Is this picture in the Mark 2 book?

I may have my roofs wrong.

There is a photo on P.67 of Harris' Mark 2 book showing a Deltic rising Copenhagen Bank. The first coach is a BSO (no 1s on the doors) showing a good top roof view. Not a BFK but I can't see why the water filler positions would have changed between types. The photo I sent to Jon was downloaded from fotopic nearly 10 years ago.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to Flood for help with pictures and advice I went ahead and made some water fillers from plasticard. Having checked the size of the water filler from pictures it was clear the original moulding on the other end of the Mk2d was not high enough so I built new water fillers from 2mm plasticard rod cut to a thickness of approximately 1mm. I drilled a hole in the middle and fitted a length of 0.6mm rod which was carefully filed down. This is positioned where the roevac vent was removed (Airfix incorrectly put two at the roof panel end).

188247111_waterfiller.jpg.642fabab7dc3fc89f3c5e67ca6ceed17.jpg

Jonathan

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Today I completed the build of the Mk2D BFK and FK 

First all the Shawplan windows were fitted with glue n glaze which were done in stages over several evenings. For the toilet and guards windows I fitted the glazing then the old white window square from the base Dapol/Airfix model was fitted behind. I then did the window decals for 1st class and no smoking.

Window bars went in next made from 0.3mm wire fitted onto a plasticard frame. Example below is for the BFK corridor. The brake compartment window bars were braced top and bottom with 1.5mm plasticard square rod.

IMAG2859.jpg.dfebf72b0129f51464f341c22a5ec602.jpg

And finally the door handles and grab rails were fitted (the brass on these still needs toning down to remove the shine).
When assembling the BFK I have to admit to some extra bodging of the internal corridor compartment wall height as I had failed to take into account the plasticard bracing glued on the inside of the roof. This meant the body was sitting high by about 1mm, so more like a Hornby Mk2E!

1060743492_BFK5.jpg.eccda36133096ccad1216429bf0b78b3.jpg

1507000190_BFK6.jpg.2c9b60d27744127791a9176af2f6d216.jpg

64413111_FK5.jpg.ef10dfef6fc0a65d3793d506d8c22876.jpg

1391488310_BFKFK1.jpg.d5a3a22db8cd59cac1a98c09a81ff20f.jpg
I will fit the Kadee couplers tomorrow and they are ready for a run on the layout, all I need now are the other coaches to make up the two rakes these belong to. I also noted on these pictures a couple of little tidy up jobs so I will do these once the Kadees are on. 

Jonathan

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Thanks Eddie. When the patience runs out, and it did many times, I just switch to another work bench item such as the layout buildings or something else less precise or detailed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The most recent Laserglaze does not have the white backing so I ended up spraying a lot of loo windows with white primer amd it looks fine.

Problem with the Airfix loos is that all of mine are yellow